2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

2 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

I am ALSO interested in aerial silks! But I want to do hoop more than silks. The amount of muscle it takes to do either is totally unexpected – I think that’s a great goal and way to pass the time!

Nice! And both seriously take an incredible amount of muscle and coordination to pull off. I’ve been wanting to get in shape but haven’t had a fitness goal. Now that I do, maybe it’ll work for good this time. And thanks for the support by the way, for a second I thought I was embarrassing myself based on the reactions of other people.

5 hours ago, Ydrl said:

So I think I know what I want to do to pass some time. Probably going to start getting in shape enough to do aerial silks. I’ve gotten sucked into the YouTube vortex and now I’m pretty jazzed about getting in shape. Imagine that. I highly recommend watching aerial silk videos on YouTube, it’s kind of magical.

I’ve been taking pole dancing classes to distract myself from waiting for grad school results. It’s super fun! Not doing much to help with the waiting, though...

4 hours ago, polkadotpoet said:

I’ve been taking pole dancing classes to distract myself from waiting for grad school results. It’s super fun! Not doing much to help with the waiting, though...

If I were fit enough to start aerial silks, I would probably be in the same boat you are. I still need to lose the 45-50 pounds that I put on in my first two years of undergrad...

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

If I were fit enough to start aerial silks, I would probably be in the same boat you are. I still need to lose the 45-50 pounds that I put on in my first two years of undergrad...

You can do silks and pole at any size! I think you should just try. You might surprise yourself. It would really be a shame for you to put off things you desire because you’re unhappy with your size. That’s some diet culture shit and who needs that?

1 hour ago, anarchisttiger said:

You can do silks and pole at any size! I think you should just try. You might surprise yourself. It would really be a shame for you to put off things you desire because you’re unhappy with your size. That’s some diet culture shit and who needs that?

True, I do support loving my body at any size. However, I mainly need to lose the weight for health reasons. GERD sucks, especially when I choke on acid in my sleep and it goes down my windpipe. Also, I don’t know how I would hold myself up/climb with the current amount of strength in my arms versus my weight so I need to strength train anyway. I’ll be okay though, thanks for the concern :)

8 minutes ago, polkadotpoet said:

So my top choice is University of Minnesota, and looking at results from the past few years, it seems like they usually inform accepted applicants around Feb. 1. I'm so nervous! 

We can be nervous together! I’m nervous ‘cause of Syracuse and WashU. They could give out acceptances as soon as this week and that’s terrifying. I hate feeling like this...

Just now, feralgrad said:

Apparently I'll find out next week, but make no mistake: I will be checking the application portal five times per day anyway.

aaaaaaa.png

Haha me too, even though I’m too scared to ask Syracuse/WashU when acceptances are going out.

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

We can be nervous together! I’m nervous ‘cause of Syracuse and WashU. They could give out acceptances as soon as this week and that’s terrifying. I hate feeling like this...

If syracuse gave out acceptances this week, that'd be the dream. The sooner the better imo.

Hey y'all, just found this forum! I'm applying to poetry MFA's and this is my second round. Last year I got waitlisted at Michener and NYU but didn't get in anywhere. I'm starting to get super discouraged now that the acceptances are going out, but I'm glad I found a thread of people who are in the same waiting boat. 

Hello!

I'm here to suffer with you.

I"m a fiction applicant who broke the cardinal rule and applied to a bunch of non-funded programs. 

Unfortunately, I can't move for school and there is only one funded program nearby (ASU). Obviously that's my top choice, but I don't have a ton of hope that I'll get in.

I've been accepted to several programs but I'm still waiting to hear from several of my top choices (NYU, Emerson, University of British Columbia Vancouver, and Spalding). 

Looking forward to rotting along side you all!

10 minutes ago, mjm7668 said:

Hey y'all, just found this forum! I'm applying to poetry MFA's and this is my second round. Last year I got waitlisted at Michener and NYU but didn't get in anywhere. I'm starting to get super discouraged now that the acceptances are going out, but I'm glad I found a thread of people who are in the same waiting boat. 

Welcome to the thread! And I would say getting waitlisted at Michener is an amazing feat! And we can be discouraged poets together. It may be my first time applying, but I have virtually no confidence.

11 minutes ago, mjm7668 said:

Getting on the Michener waitlist is really something! Good luck this time around. I applied for Michener as well, for fiction.

2 minutes ago, SarahBuya said:

Hello!

I"m a fiction applicant who broke the cardinal rule and applied to a bunch of non-funded programs. 

Unfortunately, I can't move for school and there is only one funded program nearby (ASU). Obviously that's my top choice, but I don't have a ton of hope that I'll get in.

I've been accepted to several programs but I'm still waiting to hear from several of my top choices (NYU, Emerson, University of British Columbia Vancouver, and Spalding). 

Welcome to the madness, and just letting you that whatever you do is your choice and you shouldn’t be shamed for doing it. I want to leave my state, so a fully funded program makes sense for me, but it’s okay if it doesn’t work for you.

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Welcome to the madness, and just letting you that whatever you do is your choice and you shouldn’t be shamed for doing it. I want to leave my state, so a fully funded program makes sense for me, but it’s okay if it doesn’t work for you.

Thank you! 

49 minutes ago, SarahBuya said:

Hello!

Here's to hoping you get that fully funded program. Also, it's possible to get fully funded at NYU. Here's to that as well.

1 hour ago, mjm7668 said:

where did you apply this time?