2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

1 hour ago, rbr542 said:

At this point, I wish I had applied to any place with an acceptance rate higher than 1-3% ? 

Bruh same 

edit: on second thought, I only applied to the schools I want to attend so I guess there’s no point regretting my decision just because of the acceptance rate. 

Edited by anarchisttiger

43 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Bruh same 

edit: on second thought, I only applied to the schools I want to attend so I guess there’s no point regretting my decision just because of the acceptance rate. 

That’s very true. I wouldn’t want to go anywhere I didn’t like.

With the applications more or less done, I have been able to get a tiny bit of writing done. My rough draft of the novel has been gathering dust, but I wrote the rough draft of a new short story, which is nice. But the specter of admissions results looms over writing, causing more anxiety in the act of creation than there should be. I am looking forward to the whole thing being over.

10 minutes ago, Brother Panda said:

With the applications more or less done, I have been able to get a tiny bit of writing done. My rough draft of the novel has been gathering dust, but I wrote the rough draft of a new short story, which is nice. But the specter of admissions results looms over writing, causing more anxiety in the act of creation than there should be. I am looking forward to the whole thing being over.

I’m glad you’re getting some writing done too. It’s only after I completely forget that I’ve got anything else to do (getting so far in the zone I forget how to leave), that I can write a poem. I can’t wait until this is over. On the other hand, I’ve got a great new poem written and it’s not a sad poem.

Here are some inspiring words from my younger sister who talked me down today:

"Every writer thinks they're mediocre. My friend [who is in the MFA poetry program at VCU] is amazing but they always think they aren't. So it comes with the territory. All of academia is about competition and feeling like you're not good enough.  It begins with applications. It's all designed to make you feel not good enough. And you just have to believe in yourself because you are good enough so the task is to find the level of self-belief that propels you through."

3 hours ago, anarchisttiger said:

Here are some inspiring words from my younger sister who talked me down today:

"Every writer thinks they're mediocre. My friend [who is in the MFA poetry program at VCU] is amazing but they always think they aren't. So it comes with the territory. All of academia is about competition and feeling like you're not good enough.  It begins with applications. It's all designed to make you feel not good enough. And you just have to believe in yourself because you are good enough so the task is to find the level of self-belief that propels you through."

It sounds like you have a really kind and supportive sister! Thanks for sharing her wisdom with us.

2 hours ago, MFALongshot said:

btw there are more results posted in case anyone missed it

I’m always scared I’m gonna see Syracuse acceptances without ever getting anything. I’m starting to think I really want to go to Syracuse (or Cornell).

6 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I’m always scared I’m gonna see Syracuse acceptances without ever getting anything. I’m starting to think I really want to go to Syracuse (or Cornell).

based on last years results, syracuse should start sending their letters out mid february. If we both get in syracuse we can CELEBRATE!!!! Fiction odds are crazy low though. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

based on last years results, syracuse should start sending their letters out mid february. If we both get in syracuse we can CELEBRATE!!!! Fiction odds are crazy low though. We'll see.

It seems that there was a wicked snowstorm last year that caused the results to be that late, they’re usually in late late January. And I really hope I get into a school with someone from gradcafe so I have someone to talk to.

26 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I really hope I get into a school with someone from gradcafe so I have someone to talk to.

That's the dream, eh? Enter a program with a friend. Though not yet in a program, I'm already nervous about meeting a bunch of strangers!

3 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

That's the dream, eh? Enter a program with a friend. Though not yet in a program, I'm already nervous about meeting a bunch of strangers!

At least with gradcafe we aren’t total strangers (even if we only know each other online). We all freaked out together and consoled each other in return. I’m really bad at meeting people because anxiety, but hopefully it works out. No one I know in person is applying this year, and they said maybe to next year. You guys are kind of the only ones who I can talk to about this stuff because no one else gets it.

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

It seems that there was a wicked snowstorm last year that caused the results to be that late, they’re usually in late late January. And I really hope I get into a school with someone from gradcafe so I have someone to talk to.

oh that's awesome. I thought we would have to wait until February. Hopefully they alert people this week then.

Idk if anyone here likes Jesmyn Ward (terrific writer imo) but here she talks about her experience writing. It's very interesting and shows how hard work, patience and resilience benefit writers. Start at 8:38. Fyi she got an MFA at university of michigan

Edited by MFALongshot

33 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

oh that's awesome. I thought we would have to wait until February. Hopefully they alert people this week then.

I really hope so too. On Friday night they’re getting snow for a long time which would push notifications back to February again.

3 hours ago, MFALongshot said:

lol. guess i can wait then

If I had heard from anywhere already this wouldn’t be nearly as bad, but it’s between Syracuse and WashU for first notification for me. I’m really bad at waiting...

14 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

If I had heard from anywhere already this wouldn’t be nearly as bad, but it’s between Syracuse and WashU for first notification for me. I’m really bad at waiting...

sheesh, i'm starting to get more excited for your decision than my own.

34 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

sheesh, i'm starting to get more excited for your decision than my own.

I feel more excited for anyone else’s decision other than my own. It’s easier to live vicariously through others than it is to have adcoms decide my future.

15 hours ago, Ydrl said:

At least with gradcafe we aren’t total strangers (even if we only know each other online). We all freaked out together and consoled each other in return. I’m really bad at meeting people because anxiety, but hopefully it works out. No one I know in person is applying this year, and they said maybe to next year. You guys are kind of the only ones who I can talk to about this stuff because no one else gets it.

Exactly. It's like those Facebook groups from undergrad. Was anyone else in those? Anyway, the folks in my life are sick of hearing me obsess and worry so I'm glad I have y'all to commiserate with. I just made the schedule for the next 3 weeks at my job and realized by the end of it, we all might have been accepted somewhere!! Or, strongly suspect rejection. But hopefully acceptance :)

1 hour ago, anarchisttiger said:

Exactly. It's like those Facebook groups from undergrad. Was anyone else in those? Anyway, the folks in my life are sick of hearing me obsess and worry so I'm glad I have y'all to commiserate with. I just made the schedule for the next 3 weeks at my job and realized by the end of it, we all might have been accepted somewhere!! Or, strongly suspect rejection. But hopefully acceptance :)

I wasn’t really aware of the Facebook groups for undergrads haha. Everyone I talk to about applications used to just roll their eyes at me. Now they’ve started to wonder why I haven’t gotten in anywhere yet and it definitely kills me a bit every time someone asks. Hopefully we all get accepted somewhere.

10 hours ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

Hey y'all,

Just found this thread and wanted to wish everyone well. I'm starting to stress a bunch as we get closer to decisions and it's nice to see I'm not alone in that. 

Good luck!

Where'd you apply (if I'm allowed to ask)?