2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

55 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Everyone I talk to about applications used to just roll their eyes at me. Now they’ve started to wonder why I haven’t gotten in anywhere yet and it definitely kills me a bit every time someone asks.

They know that you're not likely to hear back until February or March, right? Seems awfully callous of em, honestly.

I am getting excited/nervous as the acceptances start trickling in on the Results page. Logically I know that, based on past years, none of the schools I applied to are likely to notify until mid/late February; I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but it's so difficult!

15 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

They know that you're not likely to hear back until February or March, right? Seems awfully callous of em, honestly.

I am getting excited/nervous as the acceptances start trickling in on the Results page. Logically I know that, based on past years, none of the schools I applied to are likely to notify until mid/late February; I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but it's so difficult!

Any time my phone rings, my heart jumps! 

55 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Any time my phone rings, my heart jumps! 

I’m still not over the fact that spam calls from Syracuse keep popping up only right now. I’ve gotten three so far and it’s both really funny and really upsetting.

1 hour ago, feralgrad said:

I know, and they know too, but they’re hearing about all the other grad school acceptances and are wondering when I’m leaving the state for good.

And I’m doing my best to distract myself but there’s only so many times I can bake scones.

50 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I’m still not over the fact that spam calls from Syracuse keep popping up only right now. I’ve gotten three so far and it’s both really funny and really upsetting.

The same thing has happened twice to me! I have a Syracuse number though.

28 minutes ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

way too many places to confess (over a dozen), but I'm really excited about Gainesville and Stony Brook. 

I wish I had the money to apply to stony brook and Cornell, but I chose Cornell.

2 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I know, and they know too, but they’re hearing about all the other grad school acceptances and are wondering when I’m leaving the state for good.

And I’m doing my best to distract myself but there’s only so many times I can bake scones.

Haha. I get what you mean. I signed up for painting classes and got a dance studio membership to try to distract myself. So far, it hasn't been helping much.

2 hours ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

way too many places to confess (over a dozen), but I'm really excited about Gainesville and Stony Brook. 

If I had the money, I'd probably have applied to 12+ as well. And hopefully you make it into your dream school

6 hours ago, polkadotpoet said:

Haha. I get what you mean. I signed up for painting classes and got a dance studio membership to try to distract myself. So far, it hasn't been helping much.

I taught myself how to embroider. Now I’m getting back into cooking and nutrition. 

8 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Anyone else just checking the portals just in case they decide to post a decision? I know there isn’t a point to checking, but in my head there is.

Yeah, I'm still checking.
Based on past years, there /is/ an off chance I'll hear next week or the week after from one of my programs. That's my (weak) justification, I guess.

45 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Anyone else just checking the portals just in case they decide to post a decision? I know there isn’t a point to checking, but in my head there is.

I totally checked two yesterday, but that was it. I’m thankful I have a job that distracts me. Outside of that, I try to invest heavily in other things, like exercising. At the end of the day, you’re a writer if you write, not if a school offers you a place there. I would just like the waiting to be over so that I can plan the next year of my life with certainty. With that said, of course I would like to get in and hope you lovely people will get in as well. We’ll know soon!

33 minutes ago, Brother Panda said:

I would just like the waiting to be over so that I can plan the next year of my life with certainty.

Exactly. Of course I'm concerned about my hopes and dreams and all that BS, but what really gets my heart palpitating is wondering if/where I'll be moving in 6 months...

Exactly. Of course I'm concerned about my hopes and dreams and all that BS, but what really gets my heart palpitating is wondering if/where I'll be moving in 6 months...

The uncertainity of where I'll be living next year is driving me insane. 

17 minutes ago, buckles said:

The uncertainity of where I'll be living next year is driving me insane. 

If ya'll want to kill some time, spend a day on each school you applied to and gameplan it out. figure out what neighborhoods grad students live in, rent costs for places you might like (explore local craigslist and other local listings), grocery stores and restaurants, etc. walk down every street on google maps. you can go down a rabbit hole of info for each school, and by the time you come out of that exercise, you should start hearing back from programs and you can come up with better cons for the schools that reject you and feel more informed about the ones that accept you. 

36 minutes ago, litty said:

If ya'll want to kill some time, spend a day on each school you applied to and gameplan it out. figure out what neighborhoods grad students live in, rent costs for places you might like (explore local craigslist and other local listings), grocery stores and restaurants, etc. walk down every street on google maps. you can go down a rabbit hole of info for each school, and by the time you come out of that exercise, you should start hearing back from programs and you can come up with better cons for the schools that reject you and feel more informed about the ones that accept you. 

I already did that. That's what I was doing this time last year. I even calculated hypothetical rent amounts I could afford based on every possible stipend.

But that is a really good piece of advice. Too bad I already went down that very long rabbit hole and made it into a spreadsheet.

1 hour ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

Same! I've been looking at rents in each city, and i'm not sure it's healthy, but it is a distraction. 

I just tried did this...the rents in Boston made me realize that I don't want to move out there.

@rbr542 yeah I tried to apply to places where I could live by myself off the stipend, and then Iowa because it’s Iowa. Some will be tougher than others to live on (I.e. Cornell and WashU are easy) but I tried to apply to colleges that had a stipend (Or GA/TAship guarantee) to back up the cost of living.

I'm getting married in two months and we're talking about buying a house. BUT we have to wait until admission decisions are in, and I'm the type of person who just starts going for it once I make up my mind -- so waiting on decisions, IF I'm going to move out of state, and AM I going to buy a house?! Too many variables! So much unknown! My brain is melting! 

I also went down the craigslist/rent rabbit hole. UC Irvine is a pipe dream.

11 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

I'm getting married in two months and we're talking about buying a house. BUT we have to wait until admission decisions are in, and I'm the type of person who just starts going for it once I make up my mind -- so waiting on decisions, IF I'm going to move out of state, and AM I going to buy a house?! Too many variables! So much unknown! My brain is melting! 

I also went down the craigslist/rent rabbit hole. UC Irvine is a pipe dream.

First, Congratulations! Second, breathe. Third, a lot of the universities in big cities are pipe dreams. Fourth, my brain has melted a long time ago and I’m basically thinking with a puddle of chocolate.