Finding interview travel mates?

devpsych2020

Hi all! Just wanted to ask for your thoughts on planning interview trips.

Some schools are located at where you have to fly into the nearby city with decent airport, then take an hour or two shuttle rides to get to the campus. I figured that these shuttle services often offer "group discount" for 2/+ people and I honestly would feel more safe if I have a company on these long van ride in an unfamiliar region... So I did email schools about being connected to other interviewees traveling in for the same interview event and am still waiting for the response.

If I can't be connected to other interviewees through school, what do you all think about finding a travel mate on grad cafe? I believe that there are several risks due to the anonymity of this forum but still wanted to hear anyone with past experiences or suggestion?

Edited by devpsych2020

On 1/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, devpsych2020 said:

Hi all! Just wanted to ask for your thoughts on planning interview trips.

Some schools are located at where you have to fly into the nearby city with decent airport, then take an hour or two shuttle rides to get to the campus. I figured that these shuttle services often offer "group discount" for 2/+ people and I honestly would feel more safe if I have a company on these long van ride in an unfamiliar region... So I did email schools about being connected to other interviewees traveling in for the same interview event and am still waiting for the response.

If I can't be connected to other interviewees through school, what do you all think about finding a travel mate on grad cafe? I believe that there are several risks due to the anonymity of this forum but still wanted to hear anyone with past experiences or suggestion?

I love this idea! I only have one interview offer so far, and I was told that a grad student or faculty would be picking me up from the airport at that one, but if it's not like that for all schools I would defintely feel safer traveling in a group - and to save some $$$

I am open to coordinating with other students who are traveling to interviews. Feel free to contact me about any programs in my signature to which I have been invited for interview! 

Hi all,

I will be traveling from Tulsa, OK to Lansing, MI on Feb 5. Is there anyone going to the interview to MSU. Maybe we can meet!! Please DM me

cheers

On 1/5/2020 at 6:31 PM, prog_head13 said:

I would be interested in this. I am travelling to University of Missouri. Feel free to DM me about the further travel details.  

On 1/7/2020 at 4:57 AM, psychneuro2020 said:

I'm going to Mizzou for an interview, too! But unfortunately not on the official date, the weekend after.

When are you guys interviewing? I actually live in Columbia, MO (I was an undergrad at MU and now applying for programs out of state) and would be happy to help if I'm in town. You can also DM me. 

Is anyone else interviewing at Miami University (Oxford, OH) for clinical psychology on February 7th? I would love to figure out transportation for after interview day to the Cincinnati airport if possible. You can reply to this or DM me. Thanks in advance! 

I don't need a travel buddy, but for folks flying into Stillwater for OK State it sounds like there are only two flights in and out. So, i'd imagine the probability of seeing each other on the flight is high! 

If you see a blonde woman with short hair looking frazzled and anxious and furiously reading psych articles, it's probably me ?‍♀️

I am driving from the Houston area to Hattiesburg MS on February 13th if anyone needs a ride from the surrounding airports or wants to road trip! Also if anyone is interviewing at Mississippi State on an alternate date than the 31st feel free to DM me, I will be driving up there sometime in the next few weeks and can definitely do an airport pick up if our dates overlap.