2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

1 hour ago, toolkitsocio said:

Anyone expecting any decisions this week? Looks like Pol Sc has started sending out decisions already. Nothing for sociology yet.

I think UCLA might send out some acceptances on Friday, Jan 10. Last year they did Jan 11, and it was also the Friday of the second week of January. But who knows for sure!

1 hour ago, PoliticalSociology said:

I think UCLA might send out some acceptances on Friday, Jan 10. Last year they did Jan 11, and it was also the Friday of the second week of January. But who knows for sure!

what about UCB? 
I didn't apply to UCLA, I spoke with a professor! He said the funding has decreased.

I apply 17 programs, too... the majority of my application is for sociology programs

it is stressful time... and my situation become better when I received an offer from a program(not sociology but computer science) although it is my least choice.

Hope Jan can bring some good news. 

14 hours ago, df323 said:

Did anyone get an email about not having official transcripts from UCLA?

Do you mean sending them in from your previous schools? I didn't do that, but I did upload a scanned copy of my undergraduate transcript in the application system. Perhaps the one you uploaded just didn't look official enough. I know they are sometimes required to have the student's name, date of birth, or maybe even the university seal or an official signature.

I'd just do whatever UCLA asks of you. Good chance if you submitted some record of your grades, they won't really care about specifics. I know schools can still consider incomplete applications. Maybe they will just require more documentation if they accept you and you decide to enroll. Good luck!

22 hours ago, PoliticalSociology said:

Another question: Does anyone know what time of day decisions are typically sent out? It might help if I can concentrate my anxiety to a particular time each day, such as if I know decisions usually aren't sent out in the morning.

I totally understand this. 
I have no way to confirm this but a senior student told me it's generally in the first half if you are offered an admission.  Some colleges send out the acceptances first and then the generic rejection mails.

I am feeling all of this stress so hard. I applied to twelve schools because that's all I could afford after working two jobs during my Master's. The whole process has been such a drain. 

I did get an interview message from Rutgers today which was very surprising! I was under the impression that most programs did not conduct interviews. I am hoping for more positive news in the coming weeks. 

51 minutes ago, MFSocio said:

I am feeling all of this stress so hard. I applied to twelve schools because that's all I could afford after working two jobs during my Master's. The whole process has been such a drain. 

I did get an interview message from Rutgers today which was very surprising! I was under the impression that most programs did not conduct interviews. I am hoping for more positive news in the coming weeks. 

Congrats! Didn't apply there but that's awesome! (I think I've heard of Rutgers doing interviews in past years.)

19 hours ago, MFSocio said:

Wow thats wonderful! Getting an interview almost means getting selected. Fingers crossed for you

On 1/9/2020 at 1:37 AM, PoliticalSociology said:

UCLA is out today I think!

26 minutes ago, PoliticalSociology said:

Oh, you got in? Or just saw it on the results page? If you did, congrats! I haven't heard anything, so maybe not me. Oh well.

Just saw the results page! But just one post. Maybe it's a troll. 

3 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

Just saw the results page! But just one post. Maybe it's a troll. 

Thanks for the encouragement ? Who knows. Also important to remember that they aren't all sent out on one day. Last year it seems that acceptances were distributed from Jan 11-Feb 5. I wonder if that's them waiting to see their % yield and not admit too many people, but wouldn't most students wait to commit until they hear back from other schools? I don't know.

4 hours ago, PoliticalSociology said:

Thanks for the encouragement ? Who knows. Also important to remember that they aren't all sent out on one day. Last year it seems that acceptances were distributed from Jan 11-Feb 5. I wonder if that's them waiting to see their % yield and not admit too many people, but wouldn't most students wait to commit until they hear back from other schools? I don't know.

I guess it's different rounds of review? Applicants may submit their recommendation letter later than the specified ddl, and I guess ad com reviews applicants with later LOR slightly later. Late LOR occurs to me, so I also hope this is the case in reality.