2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

57 minutes ago, sluggerotoole said:

Has anybody heard anything from Irvine?... Or any idea when they might send out their offers?

Congrats to everyone that's got interviews/acceptances so far! 

I haven't but have been waiting. Last year offers seemed spread from the 10th-20th of January. The year before, it was also scattered. I honestly have no idea what to expect, but hopefully whatever it is happens soon. ?

14 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

I haven't but have been waiting. Last year offers seemed spread from the 10th-20th of January. The year before, it was also scattered. I honestly have no idea what to expect, but hopefully whatever it is happens soon. ?

I’m taking it as a good sign that nobody’s posted anything from Irvine yet. Their website does say they’ll give out decisions by the end of February 2020 though although historically decisions are out by now. I’m just so panicky about it as Irvine is my by far my first choice! 

55 minutes ago, 0102030405 said:

I’m taking it as a good sign that nobody’s posted anything from Irvine yet. Their website does say they’ll give out decisions by the end of February 2020 though although historically decisions are out by now. I’m just so panicky about it as Irvine is my by far my first choice! 

For the sanity of all applicants, I sincerely hope they are able to release decisions before the end of February. ?

3 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

For the sanity of all applicants, I sincerely hope they are able to release decisions before the end of February. ?

Me too! I just realised in MLK day on Monday and so probably if we hear nothing in the next few hours from programmes we’ll have to wait until Tuesday... 

9 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Also, congrats to the person who just posted about getting an Irvine interview! If you're reading this and feel comfortable answering, was it from a POI or the department itself?

Hi, I wasn't the person you are referring to but I got an email from a POI at UCI yesterday (18/1) asking for a phone call. I am new to this process so and only know about work interviews and I'm feeling a bit anxious on how to prepare for this...but feeling hopeful and happy of course :) hope we continue hearing back/getting results this week!

On 1/18/2020 at 1:23 AM, SocAnth_Lou said:

Fingers crossed! 

Did anyone here apply to the new program at WashU in St. Louis?

I did. I saw a few people posting their acceptance in gradcafe. I haven't heard from them. Didn't receive rejection letter also. Did u apply to WashU?

8 hours ago, Meylinaless said:

Hi, I wasn't the person you are referring to but I got an email from a POI at UCI yesterday (18/1) asking for a phone call. I am new to this process so and only know about work interviews and I'm feeling a bit anxious on how to prepare for this...but feeling hopeful and happy of course :) hope we continue hearing back/getting results this week!

Congrats! Don't stress too much about it. I had one phone call for a different program (not sociology) with my POI, director of grad studies, and the program coordinator and it ended up being super chill, even though I felt like I made a total fool out of myself at times. They really were more interested in answering my questions than they were in asking me questions. The only questions they asked me were about things I liked in classes I'd taken, what I was interested in researching, etc. And if you look at past years, Irvine's interviews seem pretty low-key. You'll rock it! ?

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

Congrats! Don't stress too much about it. I had one phone call for a different program (not sociology) with my POI, director of grad studies, and the program coordinator and it ended up being super chill, even though I felt like I made a total fool out of myself at times. They really were more interested in answering my questions than they were in asking me questions. The only questions they asked me were about things I liked in classes I'd taken, what I was interested in researching, etc. And if you look at past years, Irvine's interviews seem pretty low-key. You'll rock it! ?

This is very kind of you, thank you for sharing your experience! 

14 hours ago, Ghostu said:

I did. I saw a few people posting their acceptance in gradcafe. I haven't heard from them. Didn't receive rejection letter also. Did u apply to WashU?

4 hours ago, law_prospective said:

From what I've seen, sometimes admission decisions are spread out over days or even weeks. So we might still have a chance. 

I did apply. I received an email from WashU a few days earlier, informing me that I had been identified as eligible for an additional fellowship and an invitation to apply for the fellowship. But as of right now I haven't received a rejection nor acceptance email. 

And hopefully the decisions are sent out over a few days...fingers crossed! 

Edited by SocAnth_Lou

5 hours ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

I did apply. I received an email from WashU a few days earlier, informing me that I had been identified as eligible for an additional fellowship and an invitation to apply for the fellowship. But as of right now I haven't received a rejection nor acceptance email. 

And hopefully the decisions are sent out over a few days...fingers crossed! 

Did your application status change in the application portal? Mine is same as it was before, it shows "ready for review".

Hi everyone!

Do you think it's safe to assume all of UChicago's interviewees have been contacted? The rate and amount of interviews reported are different from those of years past.

Edited by SOC78

1 hour ago, SOC78 said:

Hi everyone!

Do you think it's safe to assume all of UChicago's interviewees have been contacted? The rate and amount of interviews reported are different from those of years past.

Hey, I'm wondering the same thing. So my guess is as good as yours. I kinda think now is a tricky time, cuz of the MLK holiday. I would say wait until Thursday. If there's still no news, I would assume it could be a lost cause.

1 hour ago, TerrySoc said:

Hey, I'm wondering the same thing. So my guess is as good as yours. I kinda think now is a tricky time, cuz of the MLK holiday. I would say wait until Thursday. If there's still no news, I would assume it could be a lost cause.

I agree. Waiting till 24th-25th Jan would be wise. 

10 hours ago, Ghostu said:

Did your application status change in the application portal? Mine is same as it was before, it shows "ready for review".

Mine also says "Ready for Review" still. It does say that decisions won't be shown in the application portal.

This waiting around is giving me so much anxiety.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:58 AM, Meylinaless said:

I spoke with a POI from Irvine and it was a super friendly, calm conversation. We talked a lot about ourselves outside of academia, what I am specifically looking for in a program, what the culture is like and he gave me recommended reading for my current thesis. It felt like we were both interviewing each other through casual conversation. Major questions I was asked: what are you interested in studying/researching, why are you interested in that topic and why Irvine? At the end he said he would be recommending me for admission but I am not sure what that means in terms of getting accepted or not. Don't be nervous- be yourself! Good luck!!

I had an interview, and it was also very casual like MFSocio's. I would still prepare for intense questions about research literature, but keep in mind many interviews will turn out to be quite informal.

Also, looks like there was a UChicago interview notification today (from the results page)! I wouldn't give up on any program this early. I think the interviews will keep streaming in for at least a week or two.

A lurker here.. Just had the UCI interview and it was super informal! It was mostly the professor telling me about the program and answering my questions. It sounded like the selection process was basically done and the interview was just the required last step. I'm an international applicant and he told me they were only able to give offer to 4 international students due to limited resources. They're aiming for cohort size of 15-16.

53 minutes ago, hap317 said:

A lurker here.. Just had the UCI interview and it was super informal! It was mostly the professor telling me about the program and answering my questions. It sounded like the selection process was basically done and the interview was just the required last step. I'm an international applicant and he told me they were only able to give offer to 4 international students due to limited resources. They're aiming for cohort size of 15-16.

What made you feel like the selection process was basically done? :(