2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

I was invited this week to Northeastern's open-house for top sociology phd applicants---- what type of activities/questions should I expect going into this two day event? 

What types of questions are important to consider when interviewing about a potential programs fit? There is very little information given, i'd like to go in as prepared as possible. 

9 hours ago, Ado9 said:

I was invited this week to Northeastern's open-house for top sociology phd applicants---- what type of activities/questions should I expect going into this two day event? 

What types of questions are important to consider when interviewing about a potential programs fit? There is very little information given, i'd like to go in as prepared as possible. 

Is there a change in your application status?
I wasn't invited and it shows "Under committee review" 

16 hours ago, lucky_stars said:

Does anyone know about Rice's program? It's not as discussed as some of the others, so I can't even try to ease my anxiety ?

There's going to be a two-day interviewing gathering from February 20th to February 22nd. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me. 

13 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

Anyone claiming the UNC admit? Did the POI mention when the decisions will be sent officially ?

I was the second one. They only mentioned that it was forthcoming, no date. However I plan to be in contact with my POI soon, so if they let me know a more official date/if I receive anything I can report back. 

1 minute ago, quietsoc said:

I was the second one. They only mentioned that it was forthcoming, no date. However I plan to be in contact with my POI soon, so if they let me know a more official date/if I receive anything I can report back. 

Congratulations!

I guess its a rejection for others then, if they were not contacted. 

2 hours ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

I don't know, but whoever just posted in the results board to ask about UW-Madison just gave me a heart attack. Bruh..I can barely type now!

Ditto! But the post is gone now! 
The application portal mentions all decisions wil be sent in Feb. 

8 minutes ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

Yes! I was hoping we might find out sooner, but Feb isn't that far away. 

I'm getting more nervous with every day. Feb is about to be a really good month or a really bad month for sure!

I have already had three Rejections so far Chicago, North Carolina, Northeastern! As there are acceptances already and I haven't received anything so I have no hope from these.
Same here! I can hardly get any work done! Each notification on the results page is like a shock! And gradcafe has a lot of trolls which again makes me question all the posts. 
Nevertheless its traumatic! After 17 applications , each rejection is giving me a sense of impending doom! 

Edited by toolkitsocio

4 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

I have already had three Rejections so far Chicago, North Carolina, Northeastern! As there are acceptances already and I haven't received anything so I have no hope from these.
Same here! I can hardly get any work done! Each notification on the results page is like a shock! And gradcafe has a lot of trolls which again makes me question all the posts. 
Nevertheless its traumatic! After 17 applications , each rejection is giving me a sense of impending doom! 

I'm fairly positive I will be getting rejected from WashU, as those acceptance notices were sent by the department, which stings a lot because it will be my first. However, I haven't received a formal rejection yet, and it sounds like you haven't either, so don't get too down! You never know what might happen! :) (I say this, although I'm struggling to not be anxious, sad, or scared myself!) I think I've checked my application and login portals probably 1,000 times every day for the past week and a half!

4 minutes ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

I'm fairly positive I will be getting rejected from WashU, as those acceptance notices were sent by the department, which stings a lot because it will be my first. However, I haven't received a formal rejection yet, and it sounds like you haven't either, so don't get too down! You never know what might happen! :) (I say this, although I'm struggling to not be anxious, sad, or scared myself!) I think I've checked my application and login portals probably 1,000 times every day for the past week and a half!

That's right.  Haven't received a formal rejection so far! 
I can totally understand the application checks!
I hope something good comes in the next two hours! What a weekend it would be ?

As we prepare to enter a 3ish week period with tons of decisions from some crazy difficult schools, I just want to send positive thoughts to everybody. No matter what happens these next few weeks, let's try to remember this process has so much about it that's arbitrary — it's not a reflection of our intelligence or worth. ♥️

34 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

As we prepare to enter a 3ish week period with tons of decisions from some crazy difficult schools, I just want to send positive thoughts to everybody. No matter what happens these next few weeks, let's try to remember this process has so much about it that's arbitrary — it's not a reflection of our intelligence or worth. ♥️

Super arbitrary! 
Hope we all get in this year even if it's not the one we hoped for.

Edited by toolkitsocio

53 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

Super arbitrary! 
Hope we all get in this year even if it's not the one we hoped for.

I got into my first choice for undergrad and it was the most miserable four years of my life. Sometimes rejections can be a blessing.

Edited by lkaitlyn