2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

4 hours ago, shookienewman said:

I am as well - Prior year results would make it seem that we should know by the end of the week.

Have you heard anything from them? Other programs had interviews and such, but I'm not sure what the protocol is for this particular program. I didn't see any interview listings on the results page either.

No I haven't... I'm guessing they will just update via the website judging from last year?

Has anyone heard from UMass and Maryland (College Park)? Also, can we start a thing where ppl say where they applied to? (i/a/r/w/p)??? If you all feel comfortable (interview, accep., rej., waitlisted, pending).. So we all can get an idea of whats going on (in case we applied there and its not posted).

Edited by CeXra

27 minutes ago, 0102030405 said:

I got an email from UC Irvine confirming my acceptance from the department this evening, the official school email to follow soon. I’m sighing contently with relief now...

Congrats! Same. Did it have funding info? Mine didn’t say anything about funding. 

I received an email from UW-Madison; "The Sociology PHD; program has approved your admission. At this time, the Graduate School Admissions Office needs your official transcript from your bachelor's degree granting institution, so that we may finalize your admission." 

Can I think of this mail as the final result, or  are there any other steps left for admission?

Edited by yticnis

48 minutes ago, yticnis said:

I received an email from UW-Madison; "The Sociology PHD; program has approved your admission. At this time, the Graduate School Admissions Office needs your official transcript from your bachelor's degree granting institution, so that we may finalize your admission." 

Can I think of this mail as the final result, or  are there any other steps left for admission?

You have been selected! Congratulations! Official Transcripts are only requested from students that will be admitted with funding.

5 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

I am devastated beyond measure! 6 rejection already! I am not sure if I'll get in anywhere!

Sorry to hear that! If you talk to some sociologists, they'll say this is a blessing in disguise because of how crappy the job market is right now. I also know plenty of people who got a full round of grad school rejections and then got in years later, such as after working as a research assistant. It sucks to be rejected though. Take some time to appreciate the non-work values you have in life, whether that's family, friends, a nice hobby, or just loving yourself. Those will be around whether you go to grad school and get a great job, go to grad school and don't get a great job (as is common), or don't go to grad school at all ?

8 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

I am devastated beyond measure! 6 rejection already! I am not sure if I'll get in anywhere!

Hey, don't give up hope yet. You applied to some crazy difficult schools where admissions is ridiculously subjective and worthy applicants are rejected all the time. I know many incredibly brilliant grad students who didn't get into Wisconsin or Chicago or UNC, so it's really not a reflection on your worth as a scholar. And as @PoliticalSociology said, many people end up having a bad round of applications due to bad luck and applying the next year or the year after and getting into tons of schools (including schools that previously rejected them — I know someone who got rejected from Berkeley, applied the next year, and then got in).

But I still think there's hope, because as I said, the schools you listed as rejections are some of the ones that turn down the most qualified applicants of any schools in the country. If I had applied to Chicago/UNC/Wisconsin/Vandy/etc., I'd be sitting on 6 rejections too!

12 hours ago, laselvanegra88 said:

Hang in there! I also had a Rutgers interview and am waiting on Irvine... thinking it's a no at this point. Did your POI at Rutgers tell you when to expect a response? How did it go? Mine seemed pretty informal and conversational.

I had an interview with Rutgers and they told me we should be hearing back this Friday the 31st or early next week. Mine was also super informal and conversational. I wonder what they are trying to get out of the interview.  He was more telling me about the program and answering any questions I had than interviewing me. How about you? 

9 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Congrats! Same. Did it have funding info? Mine didn’t say anything about funding. 

No it didn’t, I presume that comes with the email that the Graduate School send that is the final confirmation of your place. People I know within the social sciences there have previously told me it’s around $22k with TA-ship commitments. The plus side is that the department doesn’t accept anybody without funding, so it will at the very least be the minimum. 

Has anyone received a formal rejection from Vanderbilt. Trying to determine if should still hold out hope. 

To help give data to future applicants (will update as I hear back from places; accepted, waitlisted, rejected)

Programs (all PhD): Ohio State (Sociology)

Edited by SOChelp

3 hours ago, PoliticalSociology said:

Sorry to hear that! If you talk to some sociologists, they'll say this is a blessing in disguise because of how crappy the job market is right now. I also know plenty of people who got a full round of grad school rejections and then got in years later, such as after working as a research assistant. It sucks to be rejected though. Take some time to appreciate the non-work values you have in life, whether that's family, friends, a nice hobby, or just loving yourself. Those will be around whether you go to grad school and get a great job, go to grad school and don't get a great job (as is common), or don't go to grad school at all ?

57 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Hey, don't give up hope yet. You applied to some crazy difficult schools where admissions is ridiculously subjective and worthy applicants are rejected all the time. I know many incredibly brilliant grad students who didn't get into Wisconsin or Chicago or UNC, so it's really not a reflection on your worth as a scholar. And as @PoliticalSociology said, many people end up having a bad round of applications due to bad luck and applying the next year or the year after and getting into tons of schools (including schools that previously rejected them — I know someone who got rejected from Berkeley, applied the next year, and then got in).

But I still think there's hope, because as I said, the schools you listed as rejections are some of the ones that turn down the most qualified applicants of any schools in the country. If I had applied to Chicago/UNC/Wisconsin/Vandy/etc., I'd be sitting on 6 rejections too!

I appreciate your what you have written! Thanks a lot for lifting up my spirits.
I had applied a couple of years back but I only to a limited number of colleges. For this cycle I had a pretty decent profile with 5 publications, 3 years of work ex as RA. 
The common link between these rejection is I had no prior contact with any POIs in these colleges. Can that be an issue? If it is then there might be little hope ahead or may be not. Because now I am waiting for Berkeley, Toronto, McGill and Michigan. And I have maintained a correspondence with POIs for a year now! Only downside is my GRE , they are just a bit above 55 percentile!
So

15 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

I appreciate your what you have written! Thanks a lot for lifting up my spirits.
I had applied a couple of years back but I only to a limited number of colleges. For this cycle I had a pretty decent profile with 5 publications, 3 years of work ex as RA. 
The common link between these rejection is I had no prior contact with any POIs in these colleges. Can that be an issue? If it is then there might be little hope ahead or may be not. Because now I am waiting for Berkeley, Toronto, McGill and Michigan. And I have maintained a correspondence with POIs for a year now! Only downside is my GRE , they are just a bit above 55 percentile!
So

I mean I think the other link is that these schools are all super difficult! Maybe varying where things are in the rankings might help, even if just a little, if you do go another cycle? Your profile sounds super strong but these schools are so subjective, so having slightly easier to get into schools you love and could thrive at might be helpful. But rooting for you with the remaining! I’m waiting on Berkeley and Michigan too. ?

11 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

I mean I think the other link is that these schools are all super difficult! Maybe varying where things are in the rankings might help, even if just a little, if you do go another cycle? Your profile sounds super strong but these schools are so subjective, so having slightly easier to get into schools you love and could thrive at might be helpful. But rooting for you with the remaining! I’m waiting on Berkeley and Michigan too. ?

Cannot go another cycle! I think I have exhausted the patience of my referees. Only way I can do another cycle is if I get into one and then ask them to write another LOR as I would mention I want to transfer somewhere else. The bottom line of my situation is Go big or Go home! 

10 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Phone rings with Bay Area zip code

Me: *frantically answers with excitement and shock, wondering what school it is*

Person on phone: “Hello, this is Daly City Toyota.”

?

Oh the horror! 
I am an international student. Anticipating calls I changed my network, set up a voicemail! Lol! 

37 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

I am very uncertain how much prior contact with POIs helps. I have read mixed opinions, and my guess would be that unless you really hit it off (e.g. you happen to share a niche research interest and have prior publications on that), this doesn't make a big difference.

I think GRE scores can matter a lot though. Did you retake? There might be cut-offs, formal or informal, that you didn't make. So if this year doesn't pan out, that seems like it could be the most important aspect.

1 minute ago, PoliticalSociology said:

I am very uncertain how much prior contact with POIs helps. I have read mixed opinions, and my guess would be that unless you really hit it off (e.g. you happen to share a niche research interest and have prior publications on that), this doesn't make a big difference.

I think GRE scores can matter a lot though. Did you retake? There might be cut-offs, formal or informal, that you didn't make. So if this year doesn't pan out, that seems like it could be the most important aspect.

I did retake them, just a minor increase. I was told colleges like NYU, Columbia, Michigan, Berkeley are focussing more on fit instead of GREs. 
Though while applying I thought the GREs might play foul but I worked out my SOP and Writing Samples with the POIs.
I do no have any joint publications with them. But our areas are same theoretically and geographically. I don't know now what to expect. All rejections or a miracle!

Retalking about my inquiry about Umass Amherst and Maryland (CP). Does anyone have an idea when they traditionally send out acceptances? Or has anyone been interviewed?

I heard back from my top choice and was interviewed, should be hearing back soon (if they release information/send out emails again like the same time as last year).

4 hours ago, MFSocio said:

I had an interview with Rutgers and they told me we should be hearing back this Friday the 31st or early next week. Mine was also super informal and conversational. I wonder what they are trying to get out of the interview.  He was more telling me about the program and answering any questions I had than interviewing me. How about you? 

Yeah basically the same. Didn't say when we would hear though- seemed like they were selling the program