2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

1 hour ago, Immigration Sociology said:

What made you feel like the selection process was basically done? :( 

He told me exactly how many domestic / international students they've selected (not sure if he exactly meant "admitted" though..). But I have no idea if they've scheduled interviews with all of them and it seems like some ppl got the email only today! It was also holidays so I'd suggest waiting. Good luck!!

Edited by hap317

2 hours ago, hap317 said:

A lurker here.. Just had the UCI interview and it was super informal! It was mostly the professor telling me about the program and answering my questions. It sounded like the selection process was basically done and the interview was just the required last step. I'm an international applicant and he told me they were only able to give offer to 4 international students due to limited resources. They're aiming for cohort size of 15-16.

Ah I’m an international student too (I have my ‘interview’ scheduled for Wednesday as I only just got the email today). Did he say whether those 4 students had been picked already or would be whittled down after the interview stage? 

36 minutes ago, 0102030405 said:

Ah I’m an international student too (I have my ‘interview’ scheduled for Wednesday as I only just got the email today). Did he say whether those 4 students had been picked already or would be whittled down after the interview stage? 

Yay fellow international! For me at least it sounded pretty final but I'm not entirely sure I have terrible memory and I was pretty disoriented during the call :( Anyhow, 30+ domestic and 4 international.. it's intense

13 hours ago, PoliticalSociology said:

Also, looks like there was a UChicago interview notification today (from the results page)! I wouldn't give up on any program this early. I think the interviews will keep streaming in for at least a week or two.

I hope that's what's happening. I am almost about to give up all my hopes. This year seems to be extremely tough on internationals.

Does anybody know what universities do visit weekends either for interview or accepted students? 

I just need to calculate my potential leave for my employer if I were to be offered the chance to visit these places.  

Specifically I’m asking about  Berkeley and UC Riverside and UC Irvine (but I believe they have an accepted students weekend in March but somebody else might have a better idea) 

3 hours ago, 0102030405 said:

Does anybody know what universities do visit weekends either for interview or accepted students? 

I just need to calculate my potential leave for my employer if I were to be offered the chance to visit these places.  

Specifically I’m asking about  Berkeley and UC Riverside and UC Irvine (but I believe they have an accepted students weekend in March but somebody else might have a better idea) 

Irvine has an open house in March. The professor said 3/6-7 although he didn't sound 100% sure

On 1/20/2020 at 6:50 PM, MFSocio said:

I spoke with a POI from Irvine and it was a super friendly, calm conversation. We talked a lot about ourselves outside of academia, what I am specifically looking for in a program, what the culture is like and he gave me recommended reading for my current thesis. It felt like we were both interviewing each other through casual conversation. Major questions I was asked: what are you interested in studying/researching, why are you interested in that topic and why Irvine? At the end he said he would be recommending me for admission but I am not sure what that means in terms of getting accepted or not. Don't be nervous- be yourself! Good luck!!

Thank you for sharing this!! And also to all others who share about their interview experience. The phone call was very casual and friendly conversation that ultimately felt like I was interviewing him since he did not ask me anything. Thankfully I made of list of questions inspired by this guide http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf Although it's for soc psyc, it was helpful to start thinking of questions when you don't really have time to prepare because of a full-time job/time difference. 

I am also an international student (yay!). I did not ask about how many international students had been offered admission and did not get the sense that they were done with scheduling interviews/phone calls. He did say that they were still contacting people this week. I was also told that even though I am offered admission, funding will become clear towards the end of February, and that I should let him know about other offers I get since that will help him make a case for me. Not sure if this is the case for or was told to the other international applicants, but thought I should share in case you feel like you need further clarity on this from your POI/professor who contacted you for the interview (they should be able to help).

7 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

And now Northwestern's out!
I don't understand. Its like internationals , not currently in the states have no chance of being considered. A pre-admission event? 

*****NORTHEASTERN********* 

Holy shi** you just gave me (and probably a bunch of other people) a f*****g heart attack. 

36 minutes ago, annetod said:

*****NORTHEASTERN********* 

Holy shi** you just gave me (and probably a bunch of other people) a f*****g heart attack. 

My goodness! I saw that again now! 
I am so sorry!
I was depressed beyond measure! 

I sincerely apologise everyone!

9 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

My goodness! I saw that again now! 
I am so sorry!
I was depressed beyond measure! 

I sincerely apologise everyone!

So are the international students not receiving any email for the this pre-admission event? 

11 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

And now Northwestern's out!
I don't understand. Its like internationals , not currently in the states have no chance of being considered. A pre-admission event? 

That gave me a heart attack too lol

International student here - did do my undergrad and master in the states though so hopefully them schools will still consider me... asked a bunch of people I know and apparently schools are concerned about money issues and legal issues (documents and else), plus Chinese students are being considered less cuz of that political tension and whatnot so... *shrugs who knows

5 minutes ago, vincentorld said:

That gave me a heart attack too lol

International student here - did do my undergrad and master in the states though so hopefully them schools will still consider me... asked a bunch of people I know and apparently schools are concerned about money issues and legal issues (documents and else), plus Chinese students are being considered less cuz of that political tension and whatnot so... *shrugs who knows

I apologise. I read that as northwestern and was depressed all day till I saw the post above!

I read about the issues with Chinese students. Much more critical in UK! But they are opening up routes for Masters courses for them as they pay 2x or 3x more fees. Plus there are also cases of inflated English language scores especially if they have IELTS instead of TOEFL. 

Also do you or anyone else here know if its alright to mail a POI regarding application status?

29 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

I apologise. I read that as northwestern and was depressed all day till I saw the post above!

You can also edit your comment, FYI :)

29 minutes ago, toolkitsocio said:

Also do you or anyone else here know if its alright to mail a POI regarding application status?

It's probably fine, but the only real benefit would be easing your anxiety a little, right? Is that worth potentially annoying someone? Idk.

Ugh now I'm getting worried about my international status.... ? Would anybody know if it makes sense to let schools know that I am expecting to get a green card (will be applying next year or so), or is that too extra...? Probably too extra lol

I had my UCI 'interview' earlier today with a POI I have met in person and have a good relationship with. Very similar experience to everybody else, it was very informal and was told it was more of a 'tick box' exercise than anything else. We had a talk about the programme, but it was funny because we've previously had a long discussion about it before I applied so was difficult to say anything really new. However I did get more information on the ins-and-outs of the whole PhD program across the years which was useful as it's different from what I'm used to. I really hope we hear back soon from them, I've been a nervous wreck since November about this program! 

FYI, Stanford just sent an email saying they're going to try to release decisions the second week of February! So ... brace yourselves I guess? Not sure what to say about it.

Also, re: Irvine: being that awkward person that reads the entire webpage, I noticed most fellowships/funding at Irvine requires confirmation that departments have interviewed the applicant via phone, Skype, in person, or through some means other than email. It's a school-wide rule, not a Sociology thing, so these interview-not-really-interview meetings might have nothing to do with admissions decisions themselves. Just throwing that info out there as a potential explanation (though I'm sure if you curse out the professor or strip in front of the web camera, they might rethink admitting you). ♥️