2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

Just wanted to add a resource for people: 

This and some other threads in Waiting it Out have people talking through their experiences with the waiting and the anxiety. For someone like me without many friends applying to grad school, it's nice to hear what other people are going through. Kind of like group therapy lol.

22 minutes ago, macska said:

Hi! Just wanted to mention that I received an invite via email today to Notre Dame's Prospective Students day. I am so excited because this is one of my favorite programs. Good luck to anyone else who applied there!

Congratulations!

Other colleges might be releasing today as well I guess!

22 hours ago, macska said:

Hi! Just wanted to mention that I received an invite via email today to Notre Dame's Prospective Students day. I am so excited because this is one of my favorite programs. Good luck to anyone else who applied there!

Congrats!!!

On 1/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, toolkitsocio said:

Does the application status change generally? Like submitted>received>under review> decision etc it just shows submitted throughout till a decision is made?

has anybody seen their application status changing ?

I'm one of the few who have received a decision this early, so I'll give as much info as I can and answer some of the questions I see here using what I know from my very small sample size.

The email I got wasn't an official offer from the UCLA graduate division, more of a welcome from the sociology department itself with some details about the offer and visit days in March. It seems like UCLA is rolling out acceptances gradually. I didn't get notified on the same day as others on the results board.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, PoliticalSociology said:

Another question: Does anyone know what time of day decisions are typically sent out? It might help if I can concentrate my anxiety to a particular time each day, such as if I know decisions usually aren't sent out in the morning.

I got the email around 10:30am Pacific time.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, toolkitsocio said:

Does the application status change generally? Like submitted>received>under review> decision etc it just shows submitted throughout till a decision is made?

This hasn't changed at all for me for UCLA. The portal still looks exactly the same, and the status check that UCLA grad division offers doesn't even have a decision on file for me. Only one of my applications (UToronto) shows "under review," the others just say submitted or received.

So... now back to worrying about all the rest of my applications! XD (Not that this hasn't eased some of the anxiety.)

If you have any other questions that I might be able to answer, ask away! I've also been frantically gleaning information from this forum, so I'll help how I can :)

Is it to early to be freaking out already? None of the colleges I have applied have released their decisions or at least no one has posted on the results page! 
I mean when do we head from Uchicago, Toronto, McGill, UCB, Illinois Chicago, Northeastern, Wisc-Madison?

6 minutes ago, PoliticalSociology said:

It was an email from POI, which means people might not get them at the same time or even the same day. I got a logistical email from U Chicago about an hour ago (not an interview or rejection, just a confirmation of a weird part of my application).

That's a good sign. What were they confirming?

1 hour ago, PoliticalSociology said:

It was an email from POI, which means people might not get them at the same time or even the same day. I got a logistical email from U Chicago about an hour ago (not an interview or rejection, just a confirmation of a weird part of my application).

1 hour ago, sd3322 said:

That's a good sign. What were they confirming?

I got a mail too ! The same thing confirming my application is received and that no further changes can be made!
A bit weird to get this now.

3 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

Is it to early to be freaking out already? None of the colleges I have applied have released their decisions or at least no one has posted on the results page! 
I mean when do we head from Uchicago, Toronto, McGill, UCB, Illinois Chicago, Northeastern, Wisc-Madison?

I feel the exact same way. I really wish I hadn't looked up when decisions had historically come out because now I'm freaking out I haven't gotten in/gotten interviews for a few places as they've historically been given out by now although nobody's posted them on the results page and it's just messing me up!. 

7 hours ago, 0102030405 said:

I feel the exact same way. I really wish I hadn't looked up when decisions had historically come out because now I'm freaking out I haven't gotten in/gotten interviews for a few places as they've historically been given out by now although nobody's posted them on the results page and it's just messing me up!. 

Yes! I saw the Chicago interviews and now I am wondering if thats a lost cause now, since I have not received an interview invitation.

Edited by toolkitsocio

3 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

Any UMichigan Ann Arbor applicant? Do you see your transcripts status as received or not received on the Wolverine access?

Mine says received (though for a while, they curiously said they were missing a transcript for me from a school I never said I attended — oops!). I'd check in with them if I were you just to be safe. The department assured me that all applications are reviewed even if marked incomplete, so I wouldn't stress too much, but definitely see if you need to resend it to Rackham for some reason.

It looks possible that Wisconsin-Madison might start sending out decisions next week, if they follow the same pattern as last year. I only applied to 5 programs, so I'm very nervous. My intention was to get a masters first, but decided last second that I'm ready to start my PhD and don't want to wait any longer to do so. (I'm currently in the middle of my gap year, working for a university)

13 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

Yes! I saw the Chicago interviews and now I am wondering if thats a lost cause now, since I have not received an interview invitation.

I was looking at last year's results and it seems not all applicant's receive interviews, and those who did received them at different times, so don't give up hope!

Edited by SocAnth_Lou

15 minutes ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

I was looking at last year's results and it seems not all applicant's receive interviews, and those who did received them at different times, so don't give up hope!

well keeping my fingers crossed!

55 minutes ago, SocAnth_Lou said:

It looks possible that Wisconsin-Madison might start sending out decisions next week, if they follow the same pattern as last year. I only applied to 5 programs, so I'm very nervous. My intention was to get a masters first, but decided last second that I'm ready to start my PhD and don't want to wait any longer to do so. (I'm currently in the middle of my gap year, working for a university)

Also University of Illinois. They have some results around 17th-18th Jan. 
Wisc-Madision looks like the toughest to get into!