2020 FALL APPLICATION VENTING THREAD

toolkitsocio

1 hour ago, toolkitsocio said:

I am not totally sure! Anyone claiming it?

The status on the portal hasn't changed!

If you don't mind me asking I saw you were wait listed for Vanderbilt. When did you hear of this, were you emailed or was it on the portal?

Maybe this is because the site was crashing, but Berkeley people, please post on the results page! Three is a small number, and I need it to hit home that I need to let Berkeley go/accept the implied rejection. (Also, you should be celebrating! ♥️)

5 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

Portal shows nothing!
Got an email from the department.

Wait just saw in your signature UMich (as green/accepted)! Was that Soc? Either way, congrats!

Edited by lkaitlyn

2 hours ago, hap317 said:

Was it just me or was this website crashing all day today...? I wonder if I crashed it by anxiously refreshing every ten minutes ?

Yes! It was down for a while. I could get to the results board and that was it. Even so that was hit or miss as well.

10 minutes ago, annetod said:

Wait Michigan has been sent out?? 

I haven’t heard anything. I imagine if Michigan Soc were out, we’d have a lot of data from people on the Results page. And Mich tends to send acceptances and rejections at the same time for Soc. 

4 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

I haven’t heard anything. I imagine if Michigan Soc were out, we’d have a lot of data from people on the Results page. And Mich tends to send acceptances and rejections at the same time for Soc. 

@toolkitsocio if you could please clarify, that would be really helpful--if I remember correctly, you also announced that Northwestern decisions were out when it was really Northeastern... 

whether undergraduate have little opportunity to be admitted in sociology phd program? these days I am so hopeless...

is it common that people get master degree first?, will the master degree be helpful in application?

Maybe I need to apply to some master programs...

1 minute ago, HanyeOliver said:

whether undergraduate have little opportunity to be admitted in sociology phd program? these days I am so hopeless...

is it common that people get master degree first?, will the master degree be helpful in application?

Most people go straight from undergrad (from what I have been told and see). It is common for PhD to admit undergrad who are qualified/overqualified in terms of research experience, work experiences, grades, and GRE scores etc. 

In other words, being an undergrad doesn't hurt your chances at all, its the amount of research experiences, publications, and research fit that matters (plus other skill sets). 

2 minutes ago, HanyeOliver said:

When I spoke with several POI and some mid/ranking universities they said it’s not super common to come with a master’s degree, I can’t speak for super competitive programs sorry. 

A master’s degree gives you some advantages in that it gives you more time to work on and articulate your research interests, as well as more opportunities for research/conferences/papers etc. It’s by no means ever a prerequisite though I wouldn’t be daunted by this!

Agreeing with everything said above. I will add that if you’re interested in programs in Canada and perhaps some other countries, you do need a MA. For programs in the US, you can look at the CVs for their grad students and see who had a MA. It might be random but it does vary a bit from program to program. 

6 hours ago, lkaitlyn said:

Wait just saw in your signature UMich (as green/accepted)! Was that Soc? Either way, congrats!

4 hours ago, annetod said:

@toolkitsocio if you could please clarify, that would be really helpful--if I remember correctly, you also announced that Northwestern decisions were out when it was really Northeastern... 

I had mailed my POI and was informed about my acceptance, the decisions will be out in a couple of weeks.

6 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

I had mailed my POI and was informed about my acceptance, the decisions will be out in a couple of weeks.

Congrats! See? Never give up hope!

Out of curiosity, what did you ask the POI to elicit the admissions decision?

Edited by lkaitlyn

Question to everyone: one school wants me to commit to the open house before I hear back from four schools releasing the second week of February. What's the appropriate thing to do? Commit to the open house and back out if another program I care about more conflicts, ask for a deadline extension ... ?

Or does anyone know the visit dates for some of the schools releasing mid-February? I don't expect to get into any of them but hey, you never know.

Edited by lkaitlyn

6 hours ago, toolkitsocio said:

Wow congrats!! That's an amazing program. I didn't realize professors would release individual decisions like that weeks before they send out the mass decisions...maybe I should send some emails myself...

1 hour ago, annetod said:

Wow congrats!! That's an amazing program. I didn't realize professors would release individual decisions like that weeks before they send out the mass decisions...maybe I should send some emails myself...

Thinking the same thing, though I'm confused because many schools send decisions out right after they make them. For example, Berkeley met on Wednesday and that's when they notified people. It's odd to know weeks in advance of them telling us, no? I don't doubt it happened, but I'd be surprised if they really decided on the entire cohort.

28 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Thinking the same thing, though I'm confused because many schools send decisions out right after they make them. For example, Berkeley met on Wednesday and that's when they notified people. It's odd to know weeks in advance of them telling us, no? I don't doubt it happened, but I'd be surprised if they really decided on the entire cohort.

Yeah, from what I understand it'd be very unusual for them to hold onto decisions for 2 weeks (and I also have never heard of a professor telling a student this far in advance of decisions being sent out). I guess I don't doubt it happened, but I'm a little skeptical about the details/circumstances? Just seems a bit odd. 

20 minutes ago, annetod said:

Yeah, from what I understand it'd be very unusual for them to hold onto decisions for 2 weeks (and I also have never heard of a professor telling a student this far in advance of decisions being sent out). I guess I don't doubt it happened, but I'm a little skeptical about the details/circumstances? Just seems a bit odd. 

I don't know what went on but it could be that the commitee made their decisions but university policies means that departments can't/don't want to release 'unofficial' decisions until the graduate department officially process these? Potentially? I could be widely off the mark

45 minutes ago, annetod said:

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

I received an unofficial email from UCLA 2 weeks before the official decision letter, so this is certainly possible. I don’t know if the official letter was delayed by the department, the graduate college, or both. Regardless, acceptances from UCLA have still been trickling in, and no rejections yet. I don’t think these things are consistent enough for us to say what can and can’t happen, as much as we want to ?

Congratulations @toolkitsocio!