Audiology Applicants 2020

aud2be2024

On 3/14/2020 at 3:12 PM, audstudent20 said:

Has anyone heard from UNC and has/is accepting? Wanted to get to know people going & make a Facebook group!

Hi! I haven't totally decided yet but UNC is definitely on my short list! you should totally make a FB group :)

47 minutes ago, aud2be2024 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions of scholarships to apply for?? I have been trying to look for some but wasn't sure if anyone knew of any good ones! 

ASHA has a graduate student scholarship you could probably apply for. Check the speech-language hearing association for the state you are going to school for. AAA also has scholarships but for many you must be nominated by your department for them and only 1 student/school can be nominated. Check the academy of audiology for your state as well. 
CaptionCall has a scholarship each year but the application cycle has already passed. 

Aside from those places that’s all that I know of that are audiology related. Unfortunately, there aren’t many scholarship opportunities specific to our field but it’s always worth a shot!

Is there a certain time frame where schools let their students know about funding? Or do you generally need to accept their offer then they will let you know about funding? I know things are also up in the air because of the coronavirus so its understandable some programs haven't released out funding info but I am curious as to how it generally works. 

Has any one heard back regarding funding from Purdue or UTD?

Major: Communication Disorders, B.S. 

Pursuing AuD Fall 2020

GPA 4.0 // GRE: 147 V 147 Q 4.5 AW

Applied to: University of Texas-Dallas, Purdue University,  University of Texas-Austin, University of North Texas, University of Arizona, Lamar University, Texas Tech University,  James Madison University

Applied Interview Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected / No News

Edited by EAReplaceable

18 minutes ago, EAReplaceable said:

Pursuing AuD Fall 2020

Applied to: University of Texas-Dallas, Purdue University,  University of Texas-Austin, University of North Texas, University of Arizona, Lamar University, Texas Tech University,  James Madison University

Haven't heard anything yet from Purdue regarding funding! I think we may have to reach out and ask as the deadline to accept a program approaches. Have you heard anything regarding the virtual open house? 

1 hour ago, EAReplaceable said:

Pursuing AuD Fall 2020

For Purdue, I received a form in the mail asking me to fill out more FAFSA stuff on their website. When I had my interview, they mentioned research/teaching positions are often not given out until your 2nd semester or 2nd year. 

Also, I have not heard anything regarding their virtual open house either! 

1 hour ago, AuDApplicant said:

Haven't heard anything yet from Purdue regarding funding! I think we may have to reach out and ask as the deadline to accept a program approaches. Have you heard anything regarding the virtual open house? 

I do not know anything about this! The email said they didn't know if or when they were going to do it. Kinda sucks too because I bought my plane ticket, hotel, and shuttle tickets and they aren't giving refunds.

22 hours ago, MSUAUD2B said:

Has anyone heard about funding from Memphis? I had gotten an email yesterday about funding saying that they’d send out a “letter” today. 

The email I received said they'd be sending the letter the next day, but I actually received the letter within 30 minutes of the initial email going out. The letter contains instructions on how to apply for a GA position. I think if any students decline the funding offer, then they'll send out the letter to more students. But honestly it's a little confusing because I wasn't explicitly offered funding, I was just offered the opportunity to apply for funding. You may want to check with the university to clear up any uncertainty!

University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Memphis, SUNY at Buffalo, University of Texas at Austin, Texas Tech University, James Madison University

Applied / Interviewed / Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected

Hello all! 
I’ve commented on this forum a few times but I’ve been seeing lots of questions about things that I feel like only a current student (or faculty members) might know the answers to so I wanted to reach out and provide some opinion and information I’ve learned from others/experience. 
1. Funding and scholarships- there are a few scholarships available distinctly for AuD students one that I know is the ASHA Graduate Student Scholarship it has a May deadline. Funding varies greatly by department. Based on my experience information about most departmental funding was provided with admissions. I had 2 funding offers with my acceptance, 1 acceptance mentioned they had limited funding available, 1 school told me unfortunately I wasn’t offered for the first semester (likely as I was in-state) but they try to give everyone 1 semester of funding, and various others that mentioned university scholarships for in-state tuition. It’s also not wrong to reach out to a school about funding. I would compile a list of questions I wanted to know (did students work while in school, clinical placements examples, what are funding opportunities for the future, ask about research if interested). 
2. I was never placed on a waitlist for a school, but from what I’ve heard YES people do get off waitlists. But I think it depends on the school. I know my university hasn’t had to move to the waitlist for years. Think about it so many people are accepted to all the same programs and you can’t only attend one so the option is possible. If you’re on a waitlist reach out, see if they’d be willing to tell you what your place on it is. Show that you’re still interested. 
3. Admitted students days- I am SO sorry for your class as you can’t experience these amazing departments in person because of COVID-19. However, I know at least at my university we are doing all we can to still make our virtual admitted students day as personable as possible. If your school isn’t having an admitted students day this is even more of a reason to reach out and ask questions. Ask for a contact of a current student and ask them questions!

4. Loans- loans will likely happen because unfortunately AuD programs don’t have a ton of funding. But in this profession you’re in it for the work you’re doing not the payday. In my honest opinion loans are okay in moderation. I have taken out loans but I’ve also had funding opportunities, but I took out loans when I didn’t have funding. I work part time to offset the loans I need to take out. 

I hope this is helpful for some of you guys. If you got into a program (or multiple) congratulations, if you’re waiting on a waitlist spot don’t give up, if you didn’t get in anywhere reach out to those programs and ask what could make your application stronger in the future then work on that. Feel free to message me and I would love to help as I can (social distancing really gives me more free time then I know what to do)

Best of luck to all!

7 hours ago, EAReplaceable said:

I do not know anything about this! The email said they didn't know if or when they were going to do it. Kinda sucks too because I bought my plane ticket, hotel, and shuttle tickets and they aren't giving refunds.

Oh no!! I am sorry to hear that. I know that airlines are giving credit for flights so you can reschedule at a later time and use it anywhere, not just the original destination but regarding hotels and shuttles I wouldn't know much about that and i guess it all comes down to if you plan to visit Purdue again. It's been a crazy application cycle!

On 3/17/2020 at 11:40 PM, meggieschwa said:

Hi everyone! Is anyone planning on going to the University of Florida and/or able to tell me more about their program?? Thanks!

Hi! I've created a Facebook page for those accepted to UF if you wanna join :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/490912024887623/

What are everyone's thoughts on San Jose State's program?  I'm slightly nervous about it being a first year program, but the information I've received has really impressed me.  Plus there's the advantage of it being in the heart of Silicon Valley surrounded by tons of medical research and opportunities.

23 hours ago, rmam said:

What are everyone's thoughts on San Jose State's program?  I'm slightly nervous about it being a first year program, but the information I've received has really impressed me.  Plus there's the advantage of it being in the heart of Silicon Valley surrounded by tons of medical research and opportunities.

Did you receive a response from them about admission?

Have anyone heard back from the University of Arizona or UT Austin about funding? Hopefully we will all hear back about funding before the April offer of admission deadline - I t’s a HUGE factor in our decisions, for sure. I hope everyone is doing ok!

Has anyone heard from the University of the Pacific (UOP)? I was accepted, but I'm hesitant to accept due to the location and cost. I was waitlisted at Pacific University and San Jose State University, so I'm trying to decide which way to go. Any advice?

12 hours ago, PlayByEar said:

Have anyone heard back from the University of Arizona or UT Austin about funding? Hopefully we will all hear back about funding before the April offer of admission deadline - I t’s a HUGE factor in our decisions, for sure. I hope everyone is doing ok!

Hello! Yes, I’ve already heard back from U of A about funding. About a week or two ago, more or less. Are you attending the virtual open house, too?

Has anyone gotten any funding information from Vanderbilt yet?? I thought they said they would send out information by March 15 but I still haven't gotten anything

38 minutes ago, MmAudiology said:

Has anyone heard from the University of the Pacific (UOP)? I was accepted, but I'm hesitant to accept due to the location and cost. I was waitlisted at Pacific University and San Jose State University, so I'm trying to decide which way to go. Any advice?

I was accepted at UOP and got a call last week letting me know about a scholarship - all they said was information was coming shortly. I am waiting to hear back and confirm if this means I received funding. I was also waitlisted at Pacific University but declined my position as I have other acceptances that I am deciding between, they told me that historically the tier 1 waitlisters all hear back regarding an acceptance so if you are on the tier 1 it is very likely (but not guaranteed) you will be accepted. 

I am also hesitant about UOP bc of the location and cost although they seemed like a great program and I loved that they have a relationship with Stanford. Hopefully we can get good funding!