Audiology Applicants 2020

aud2be2024

1 hour ago, PlayByEar said:

Northwestern just canceled the Preview Day event because of COVID-19. I'm a little frustrated because they announced it less than 7 days prior to the event and it prevents us from getting refunds for hotels and flights :( 

If you got your flight during March you can cancel and receive a voucher to use later. I know that Delta and American Airlines are doing this, probably other airlines as well. Try calling and letting them know and see if they can apply the voucher. Good luck!

1 hour ago, ShadowChildofHades said:

I don't know if there are any preview/info days for Kent State but yesterday they cancelled all face to face classes/events/etc so if there is any events going on they are probably cancelled.

Many universities are cancelling face to face classes but not clinical experiences for students. Courses/events are cancelled due to the large number of people present in close proximity, admitted student days may not fall into this category. I would recommend contacting the university or waiting for an email before assuming something is cancelled.

2 hours ago, AuDApplicant said:

Purdue canceled their admitted AuD students day due to COVID-19, no word yet from IU - Bloomington but its likely they will also cancel. 

IU has cancelled their Open House/reception. If any of you have purchased airline tickets to visit your schools, they may not do refunds but they will give you a voucher so you can use it by a certain time. Stay safe, y'all!

1 hour ago, onthesamewavelength said:

IU has cancelled their Open House/reception. If any of you have purchased airline tickets to visit your schools, they may not do refunds but they will give you a voucher so you can use it by a certain time. Stay safe, y'all!

Did IU send an email? I didn't receive anything so I am wondering if it was because I was not placed on the RSVP open house list. 

3 hours ago, AuDApplicant said:

Did IU send an email? I didn't receive anything so I am wondering if it was because I was not placed on the RSVP open house list. 

I called Ms. Elkins today and she got back to me afterwards. Do you think they'd do another one? I assume no school will extend our April 15 deadline, too. I was really hoping to go visit, but I understand the circumstances.

12 hours ago, onthesamewavelength said:

I called Ms. Elkins today and she got back to me afterwards. Do you think they'd do another one? I assume no school will extend our April 15 deadline, too. I was really hoping to go visit, but I understand the circumstances.

Maybe they can do it virtually before April 15? I feel you because I was waiting for the visit days to make a decision. 

4 hours ago, AuDApplicant said:

Maybe they can do it virtually before April 15? I feel you because I was waiting for the visit days to make a decision. 

Other schools are doing that. I hope IU does, too. It feels like we're making this decision blindly, and I'm sure they recognize that. Thankfully, we have some time. 

1 hour ago, onthesamewavelength said:

Other schools are doing that. I hope IU does, too. It feels like we're making this decision blindly, and I'm sure they recognize that. Thankfully, we have some time. 

I’m sure departments will work on the best ways to provide you the opportunity to learn more about their program. However, these AuD programs that have had the university suspend in person course work are working diligently to ensure that their current students are still getting access to clinical opportunities and education. This is definitely a stressful time for students, but it is also stressful for faculty and staff so please just keep this in mind.

22 hours ago, FutureAuD8 said:

I’m sure departments will work on the best ways to provide you the opportunity to learn more about their program. However, these AuD programs that have had the university suspend in person course work are working diligently to ensure that their current students are still getting access to clinical opportunities and education. This is definitely a stressful time for students, but it is also stressful for faculty and staff so please just keep this in mind.

100% understood. I'm super grateful for how schools have accommodated us and expressed their concern. I definitely see that they care about their students and their well-being. It's an unfortunate circumstance, but I appreciate how they've been working with their students and prospective students. Stay safe!

2 hours ago, audstudent20 said:

Has anyone heard from UNC and has/is accepting? Wanted to get to know people going & make a Facebook group!

If by UNC you mean the one in Chapel Hill, I will hopefully be accepting! I am waiting to hear back about funding before fully committing. I think we are supposed to find out by March 15th. Have you heard anything yet? 

Has anyone who has not been accepted to Central Michigan heard anything from them? I know they had their interview day back in February but I haven't heard a thing from them at all.

13 minutes ago, FutureAuD123456 said:

How much in loans are most of you planning on taking out for graduate school? What do you think is an "acceptable" amount? 

Current AuD student here. I think this question depends greatly on how much undergrad student loan debt you already have balanced with the debt you think you can handle. A rule of thumb I have heard is to not take out more in loans then a starting salary. So I would say not take out more than $70k or so total. However, some people take out that much for their undergrad alone. 

I personally will take out roughly 18,000 for my graduate school but I am expecting to drain most of my savings to pay for this summers tuition and hopefully have a paid externship and not take out loans for this time. But I was fortunate enough to come into school knowing my first year was covered and I found out my 3rd year will be covered via an traineeship. I NEVER take out more loans then I need and will only take out loans for tuition I work a part time job and use my savings account for paying for living expenses during the year I also have a roommate and live in a cheaper apartment (no fancy amenities) so that I take out less loans in the long run.