Audiology Applicants 2020

aud2be2024

18 hours ago, PlayByEar said:

Have anyone heard back from the University of Arizona or UT Austin about funding? Hopefully we will all hear back about funding before the April offer of admission deadline - I t’s a HUGE factor in our decisions, for sure. I hope everyone is doing ok!

I haven't heard from UT Austin about funding. I'm wondering if things are delayed a bit due to the COVID-19??

17 hours ago, aud2be2024 said:

I haven't heard from UT Austin about funding. I'm wondering if things are delayed a bit due to the COVID-19??

On their website, it says they will not issue any information on funding until August.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.41.38 AM.png

14 hours ago, MSUAUD2B said:

Who’s going to South Alabama?? 

It is currently a top choice of mine. However, they canceled the open house and I have never been the campus so that makes it hard to decide.

Have you heard anything about funding? Are you planning on attending this program? 

Edited by audapplicant2020

3 hours ago, audapplicant2020 said:

It is currently a top choice of mine. However, they canceled the open house and I have never been the campus so that makes it hard to decide.

Have you heard anything about funding? Are you planning on attending this program? 

I accepted my offer today! I also got funding in my acceptance letter. It’s beautiful. Hope you decided to go! Message me if you wanna ask any questions! :) 

On 3/22/2020 at 12:23 PM, onthesamewavelength said:

Hello! Yes, I’ve already heard back from U of A about funding. About a week or two ago, more or less. Are you attending the virtual open house, too?

Ok thank you for letting me know! If I haven't heard back about funding, it’s probably because I wasn’t offered any funding. I did attend the virtual open house - it was very exciting. 

On 3/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, ear-resistable said:

Is anyone accepting their offer of admissions to ETSU? I accepted my offer!

Hello! I am! I’m super excited! Let’s connect on Facebook! 

Edited by savvyAuD

On 3/22/2020 at 12:29 AM, PlayByEar said:

Have anyone heard back from the University of Arizona or UT Austin about funding? Hopefully we will all hear back about funding before the April offer of admission deadline - I t’s a HUGE factor in our decisions, for sure. I hope everyone is doing ok!

I received a funding offer from UT Austin with my acceptance email. Hopefully you'll hear about funding soon!

University of Florida, University of South Florida, University of Memphis, SUNY at Buffalo, University of Texas at Austin, Texas Tech University, James Madison University

Applied / Interviewed / Accepted / Waitlisted / Rejected

On 3/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, ear-resistable said:

Is anyone accepting their offer of admissions to ETSU? I accepted my offer!

On 3/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, savvyAuD said:

Hello! I am! I’m super excited! Let’s connect on Facebook! 

I’ll be going to ETSU as well! 

Hi everyone. Long time lurker and finally decided to post.

I don't mean to come off as offensive or negative, but I would seriously advise you guys to think this through and really make sure audiology is the career path that you absolutely 100% want to pursue. I come from a family with serious hearing issues, and I was born with hearing loss. I started wearing hearing aids since I was 5 and I've always wanted to become an audiologist. I've basically prepared my whole college years for audiology school, but I've decided against it. Reasons being..audiologists are seriously undervalued and not respected. Salary is a joke compared to the degree that we will obtain. I have shadowed audiologists since my freshman year in college. I've grown really close to my audiologist over the years, and she networked me to her colleagues, and I had a lot of opportunities to shadow them. I've shadowed audiologists that work in hospitals, under ENT, schools, and private clinic. Let me tell you that 95% of the AuDs don't do more than performing hearing tests, interpreting and evaluating the results, and HA fittings. They are overtrained and over-taught for what they actually end up doing. Unless you work at the hospital, you are going to be pressured to "sell" the HAs. Most patients, you don't ever get to see them again when their HA is fitted. Private clinic is ok. You get paid a decent salary but again, you get bonuses/commissions based on how many HAs you get to fit (aka sell). Seriously..who else in the medical field do you see "selling" except for optometrists? Working under ENT is the worst thing you can do because ENT doctors don't respect you, your degree, and your trainings. They think you're their lap dogs and just have you perform hearing tests. The AuD that I shadowed was treated like a technician instead of an audiologist. That seems to be a trend. AuDs and ENT drs mostly end up clashing. If a testing machine breaks down AT A HOSPITAL, the hospital delays about replacing the machine for years because they really think it isn't neccessary. Salary is a joke for a doctorate degree. Median salary is about $79k but keep in mind you're going to be offered much less than that when you're a fresh grad. A lot of old, established programs are shutting down because students are pulling out half way. The job market is supposed to grow but it's been the same for the past 10 years. The biggest insult I witnessed was hearing aid dispensers (with no proper education as an AuD, some not even high school graduates) are offered the same salary as audiologists. It's such a small field and even people working in the medical field don't know what audiology is even though it's been around for decades. It's a huge hurdle especially with the cost of grad school. I was so disappointed and scared because it's quite embarrassing to be making $55-60k with a doctorate degree, so I'm pursuing a different path. I would advise you guys to do deep research and make sure this is what you guys really want and not because you're enticed by a doctorate degree. 

14 hours ago, imarota96 said:

I don't mean to come off as offensive or negative, but I would seriously advise you guys to think this through and really make sure audiology is the career path that you absolutely 100% want to pursue. I come from a family with serious hearing issues, and I was born with hearing loss. I started wearing hearing aids since I was 5 and I've always wanted to become an audiologist. I've basically prepared my whole college years for audiology school, but I've decided against it. Reasons being..audiologists are seriously undervalued and not respected. Salary is a joke compared to the degree that we will obtain. I have shadowed audiologists since my freshman year in college. I've grown really close to my audiologist over the years, and she networked me to her colleagues, and I had a lot of opportunities to shadow them. I've shadowed audiologists that work in hospitals, under ENT, schools, and private clinic. Let me tell you that 95% of the AuDs don't do more than performing hearing tests, interpreting and evaluating the results, and HA fittings. They are overtrained and over-taught for what they actually end up doing. Unless you work at the hospital, you are going to be pressured to "sell" the HAs. Most patients, you don't ever get to see them again when their HA is fitted. Private clinic is ok. You get paid a decent salary but again, you get bonuses/commissions based on how many HAs you get to fit (aka sell). Seriously..who else in the medical field do you see "selling" except for optometrists? Working under ENT is the worst thing you can do because ENT doctors don't respect you, your degree, and your trainings. They think you're their lap dogs and just have you perform hearing tests. The AuD that I shadowed was treated like a technician instead of an audiologist. That seems to be a trend. AuDs and ENT drs mostly end up clashing. If a testing machine breaks down AT A HOSPITAL, the hospital delays about replacing the machine for years because they really think it isn't necessary. Salary is a joke for a doctorate degree. Median salary is about $79k but keep in mind you're going to be offered much less than that when you're a fresh grad. A lot of old, established programs are shutting down because students are pulling out half way. The job market is supposed to grow but it's been the same for the past 10 years. The biggest insult I witnessed was hearing aid dispensers (with no proper education as an AuD, some not even high school graduates) are offered the same salary as audiologists. It's such a small field and even people working in the medical field don't know what audiology is even though it's been around for decades. It's a huge hurdle especially with the cost of grad school. I was so disappointed and scared because it's quite embarrassing to be making $55-60k with a doctorate degree, so I'm pursuing a differentpath. I would advise you guys to do deep research and make sure this is what you guys really want and not because you're enticed by a doctorate degree. 

HI!

I acknowledge how you mention you have no intention of coming off as negative, however, posting on a forum of aspiring audiologists with nothing but negative thoughts on the field is very much so negative. First off, I have also shadowed several audiologists in several different settings, including ENT. They have all had great relationships with their ENT doctor and enjoy the setting that they are in. Obviously, hearing aids are a big part of the field since we are dealing with patients with hearing loss. While private practice is big on selling, I believe the audiologists I shadow have no problem selling hearing aids because the patients they are seeing are interested in buying them. Many people expect to purchase hearing aids as their hearing deteriorates so of course selling is a big factor of audiology. Also, even though private practice mainly deals with HAs, it is so much more than that. They build relationships with their clients and visit with them regularly. Developing hearing loss can be an emotional burden for people, therefore, counseling and mentorship is also the role an audiologist must take on. While we do have different experiences while shadowing, I think it would be silly for both us to not consider the pros and cons of audiology. It seems I have had more pros while you cons, but I know the cons are there and at the end of the day, I still want to pursue audiology. I know of several audiologists in my area who started out making around 75k their first year. The salary truly depends on your location and setting. The money is out there, you might need to relocate, but it's there. Plus I have seen such a big range in salary, it is hard to say what one will be making starting off. While salary is a big factor, it should not be the only factor. The flexibility, hours, and clientele are a few things that attracted me to the field. Most importantly, the service I provide will be meaningful to my clients. The look on the face of a client when they put their hearing aids on for the first time will be valuable in itself. Not to mention the camaraderie within the field. You even said it yourself that you have a close relationship with your audiologist, somewhere along the line they have taken the time to build a relationship with you and it has impacted you. Therefore, at the end of the day, it's less about the salary and more about how I am serving others. I have a feeling that is how most people pursuing audiology feel. We are aware of the cons but we have decided the pros make it worth it. Thank you for your opinion. I wish you the best of luck in the career you decide to pursue. 

19 hours ago, imarota96 said:

I don't mean to come off as offensive or negative, but I would seriously advise you guys to think this through and really make sure audiology is the career path that you absolutely 100% want to pursue. I come from a family with serious hearing issues, and I was born with hearing loss. I started wearing hearing aids since I was 5 and I've always wanted to become an audiologist. I've basically prepared my whole college years for audiology school, but I've decided against it. Reasons being..audiologists are seriously undervalued and not respected. Salary is a joke compared to the degree that we will obtain. I have shadowed audiologists since my freshman year in college. I've grown really close to my audiologist over the years, and she networked me to her colleagues, and I had a lot of opportunities to shadow them. I've shadowed audiologists that work in hospitals, under ENT, schools, and private clinic. Let me tell you that 95% of the AuDs don't do more than performing hearing tests, interpreting and evaluating the results, and HA fittings. They are overtrained and over-taught for what they actually end up doing. Unless you work at the hospital, you are going to be pressured to "sell" the HAs. Most patients, you don't ever get to see them again when their HA is fitted. Private clinic is ok. You get paid a decent salary but again, you get bonuses/commissions based on how many HAs you get to fit (aka sell). Seriously..who else in the medical field do you see "selling" except for optometrists? Working under ENT is the worst thing you can do because ENT doctors don't respect you, your degree, and your trainings. They think you're their lap dogs and just have you perform hearing tests. The AuD that I shadowed was treated like a technician instead of an audiologist. That seems to be a trend. AuDs and ENT drs mostly end up clashing. If a testing machine breaks down AT A HOSPITAL, the hospital delays about replacing the machine for years because they really think it isn't neccessary. Salary is a joke for a doctorate degree. Median salary is about $79k but keep in mind you're going to be offered much less than that when you're a fresh grad. A lot of old, established programs are shutting down because students are pulling out half way. The job market is supposed to grow but it's been the same for the past 10 years. The biggest insult I witnessed was hearing aid dispensers (with no proper education as an AuD, some not even high school graduates) are offered the same salary as audiologists. It's such a small field and even people working in the medical field don't know what audiology is even though it's been around for decades. It's a huge hurdle especially with the cost of grad school. I was so disappointed and scared because it's quite embarrassing to be making $55-60k with a doctorate degree, so I'm pursuing a different path. I would advise you guys to do deep research and make sure this is what you guys really want and not because you're enticed by a doctorate degree. 

Just out of curiosity... what path have you decided to pursue...?

3 hours ago, AuDie3 said:

HI!

I acknowledge how you mention you have no intention of coming off as negative, however, posting on a forum of aspiring audiologists with nothing but negative thoughts on the field is very much so negative. First off, I have also shadowed several audiologists in several different settings, including ENT. They have all had great relationships with their ENT doctor and enjoy the setting that they are in. Obviously, hearing aids are a big part of the field since we are dealing with patients with hearing loss. While private practice is big on selling, I believe the audiologists I shadow have no problem selling hearing aids because the patients they are seeing are interested in buying them. Many people expect to purchase hearing aids as their hearing deteriorates so of course selling is a big factor of audiology. Also, even though private practice mainly deals with HAs, it is so much more than that. They build relationships with their clients and visit with them regularly. Developing hearing loss can be an emotional burden for people, therefore, counseling and mentorship is also the role an audiologist must take on. While we do have different experiences while shadowing, I think it would be silly for both us to not consider the pros and cons of audiology. It seems I have had more pros while you cons, but I know the cons are there and at the end of the day, I still want to pursue audiology. I know of several audiologists in my area who started out making around 75k their first year. The salary truly depends on your location and setting. The money is out there, you might need to relocate, but it's there. Plus I have seen such a big range in salary, it is hard to say what one will be making starting off. While salary is a big factor, it should not be the only factor. The flexibility, hours, and clientele are a few things that attracted me to the field. Most importantly, the service I provide will be meaningful to my clients. The look on the face of a client when they put their hearing aids on for the first time will be valuable in itself. Not to mention the camaraderie within the field. You even said it yourself that you have a close relationship with your audiologist, somewhere along the line they have taken the time to build a relationship with you and it has impacted you. Therefore, at the end of the day, it's less about the salary and more about how I am serving others. I have a feeling that is how most people pursuing audiology feel. We are aware of the cons but we have decided the pros make it worth it. Thank you for your opinion. I wish you the best of luck in the career you decide to pursue. 

I, too, was an inspiring audiologist until 3 months ago. It's not the negative thoughts that I'm sharing but the experiences. I'm just throwing in my two cents. If not here, then where? I've been seeing my audiologist since I was 10, so yes, I do have a bond with her. It's great that you know this is the career that you 100% want to pursue. I hope many others feel the same as you and not just blindly jump on board. The scope of practice for audiologists is too limited. Maybe I expected to be able to do more with the doctorate degree. I live in SF and it's one of the highest paying states for AuDs. The median salary is ~$75k and SF is notoriously expensive. I won't be able to afford the pay back the loans and bills with that. Of course I know salary is not everything, but for me, the cons outweigh the pros. It's important to highlight that you are aware of the cons. Most people don't. Someone on last year's forum wrote that more than half of the students pulled out of their program after first year. It's a repetitive comment I see every year (I've been reading almost all the forums relating to AuD since 2014). My best hope is to at least give heads up, so the prospective students can get an insight to the field. I also wish you the best of luck and to all the future audiologists!

8 minutes ago, imarota96 said:

I, too, was an inspiring audiologist until 3 months ago. It's not the negative thoughts that I'm sharing but the experiences. I'm just throwing in my two cents. If not here, then where? I've been seeing my audiologist since I was 10, so yes, I do have a bond with her. It's great that you know this is the career that you 100% want to pursue. I hope many others feel the same as you and not just blindly jump on board. The scope of practice for audiologists is too limited. Maybe I expected to be able to do more with the doctorate degree. I live in SF and it's one of the highest paying states for AuDs. The median salary is ~$75k and SF is notoriously expensive. I won't be able to afford the pay back the loans and bills with that. Of course I know salary is not everything, but for me, the cons outweigh the pros. It's important to highlight that you are aware of the cons. Most people don't. Someone on last year's forum wrote that more than half of the students pulled out of their program after first year. It's a repetitive comment I see every year (I've been reading almost all the forums relating to AuD since 2014). My best hope is to at least give heads up, so the prospective students can get an insight to the field. I also wish you the best of luck and to all the future audiologists!

I appreciate everyone right to an opinion but I think negativity is not beneficial and this is the weakness our field faces. Those that do not support audiologists are a cause for the reasons some audiologists do not like their jobs. I’m a current AuD student and I have LOVED my experiences so far so prospective students keep your chins high. In my outside sites I have felt respected by other medical professionals and they value the work that we do. Interdisciplinary education is important and audiology is growing in importance and this is reflecting in our recognition and referrals from other professionals. I have experienced a vast scope of practice and SO much more than “just diagnostics” in my clinical placements. I’ve been involved in tinnitus evals and treatment, Auditory processing, educational audiology, pediatrics, assistive listening devices, fitting custom hearing protection, the moment of fitting a patient with hearing aids for the first time or new hearing aids it honestly amazing. 
I agree the pay may not be exactly what you would imagine for a doctorate degree but you are in this field for something beyond the pay. You enter this for a patients and honestly THAT is how you stay happy in any career because you truly enjoy what you do everyday. Also for that median salary that seems a bit skewed to me. I know individuals that start out and receive 80k a year starting and that’s in the Midwest where the cost of living in low. A also saw a recent job posting for the Midwest in a densely audiologist populated area and starting was 72k which is not bad at all. 
Also I do not agree with that statistic of individuals dropping out is also wrong. I would say if anything 1 student for less per class drops and often it is due to personal reasons not due to loss of faith in the field. 

If you are a prospective student don’t let negativity get in your way. This can be an incredibly supportive profession especially if you know the people to surround yourselves with. We are in this to help people and improve their quality of life. I have loved my experiences with patients and the respect they and other professionals give me and THAT is why I am proud to be a future audiologist.