Audiology Applicants 2020

aud2be2024

14 minutes ago, FutureAuD8 said:

I appreciate everyone right to an opinion but I think negativity is not beneficial and this is the weakness our field faces. Those that do not support audiologists are a cause for the reasons some audiologists do not like their jobs. I’m a current AuD student and I have LOVED my experiences so far so prospective students keep your chins high. In my outside sites I have felt respected by other medical professionals and they value the work that we do. Interdisciplinary education is important and audiology is growing in importance and this is reflecting in our recognition and referrals from other professionals. I have experienced a vast scope of practice and SO much more than “just diagnostics” in my clinical placements. I’ve been involved in tinnitus evals and treatment, Auditory processing, educational audiology, pediatrics, assistive listening devices, fitting custom hearing protection, the moment of fitting a patient with hearing aids for the first time or new hearing aids it honestly amazing. 
I agree the pay may not be exactly what you would imagine for a doctorate degree but you are in this field for something beyond the pay. You enter this for a patients and honestly THAT is how you stay happy in any career because you truly enjoy what you do everyday. Also for that median salary that seems a bit skewed to me. I know individuals that start out and receive 80k a year starting and that’s in the Midwest where the cost of living in low. A also saw a recent job posting for the Midwest in a densely audiologist populated area and starting was 72k which is not bad at all. 
Also I do not agree with that statistic of individuals dropping out is also wrong. I would say if anything 1 student for less per class drops and often it is due to personal reasons not due to loss of faith in the field. 

If you are a prospective student don’t let negativity get in your way. This can be an incredibly supportive profession especially if you know the people to surround yourselves with. We are in this to help people and improve their quality of life. I have loved my experiences with patients and the respect they and other professionals give me and THAT is why I am proud to be a future audiologist. 

Very well put! Thank you for providing some insight as someone currently in a graduate program. I know several audiology students right now that just rave about their experiences which makes me excited about the future! Like you said, it is not about the salary and more about the service you are providing! I hope you continue to feel valued and respected, because as a future audiologist, you deserve it! 

I have't seen any posts for it, but I have accepted my offer to University of Connecticut and would love to connect with any students also going there! I made a facebook page, all you have to do is search Uconn Audiology 2024.  I am so excited to start and to have all you lovely people as co-workers in the field!!

Have anyone made a group for the University of Arizona? I decided to accept my offer to the University of Arizona, and would love to connect with anyone who accepted theirs as well!!

1 hour ago, manderspanders said:

I would love to join it if one was created!

I just created one if you want to join! Just search "UTD Audiology class of 2024" and it should come up!

Has anyone had any communication from USF or answers to e-mails? The last correspondence we've had was 10 days ago, and they said they'd get back to us about the meet n greet, but haven't heard anything since.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:18 AM, PlayByEar said:

Have anyone made a group for the University of Arizona? I decided to accept my offer to the University of Arizona, and would love to connect with anyone who accepted theirs as well!!

Hello! No, I haven’t! Did you find a group? This is super exciting! 

Currently trying to decide between University of Tennessee and ETSU. I see some of y'all are going to ETSU, is anyone planning on going to UTK? 

I have created a Facebook group for those who are going to KU! I'd love to get to "meet" y'all before heading out there. The name of the group is KU AuD Class of 2024 and the link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/3357657970928751/ .

What are the most important factors you are considering when making your final decisions about where to commit? I'm torn deciding to commit between two schools that are both phenomenal both academically and clinically.

40 minutes ago, bak said:

What are the most important factors you are considering when making your final decisions about where to commit? I'm torn deciding to commit between two schools that are both phenomenal both academically and clinically.

I dealt with a similar thing and I ended up taking into account the actual geographical area, and the options/availability regarding clinical placements. I’m going to be living there for at least three years, so I want to like where I’m living. That’s just something personally important to me. 

57 minutes ago, bak said:

I honestly made my final decision based on finances mainly. Due to the circumstances, I wasn't able to to visit any of the schools I was offered admissions to. I looked at tuition, any funding offered, and the cost of living in the general area around the school. I also looked into where the audiology/speech and hearing department was housed. I personally would like to work in a hospital setting; so I gave preference to schools that had the department within the medical school and had an on campus or campus affiliated hospital.