Calling all French PHD 2020 Applicants ...

MonsieurHonoré

Hey all! This is my first post here, but I've been reading this thread for a while now. I study 16th century and contemporary French literature (mostly post-1980s) and ended up applying to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Berkeley, Brown and NYU. So far I've been accepted into Berkeley; I was on Princeton's campus visit last week, and I'm waiting to hear back from Princeton, NYU and Harvard (I interviewed with the latter two via Skype). Was rejected from Brown (with an interview) and Yale (without interview). Good luck to all, and here's hoping we hear back from places soon! I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that this process is enormously stressful, but at the very least, it feels good knowing that the initial interview stages are over. 

I'm primarily interested in narratives of sexual and bodily violence and strategies of testimony in sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America, primarily Rwanda and Guatemala. I am also interested in feminist and postcolonial theory, affect theory and shame, and, recently, animal studies. Thus, why I tended top apply to relatively "open" French departments or Comp Lit spaces. :) 

Everyone's work sounds amazing! I have background in postcolonial studies & global feminism. I started out interested in Maghrebi women's writing and I've turned instead to African diaspora studies in France & the Caribbean. Right now I'm doing reading on literary responses to (or representations of) the transatlantic slave trade. I'm also interested in the history of racial construction & difference throughout French literature, especially 18th and 19th c. And yes, such a relief that app and interview season is (almost) over!

That's really impressive, that's quite amazing.

Say, NYU-enthusiasts, did you hear anything today? They aren't taking longer than mid-February, usually.

PS: I realized after posting that I might sound sarcastic, but it was not, I was just searching for more meaningful words to comment your projects but decided that it would have been boring. I wish I knew more about your subjects so that we could have a talk about them. Anyway, not sarcastic! Your subjects are mouth-watering. ?

Edited by Tyger

6 minutes ago, LOiseauRouge said:

@Robert_Kerans What areas do you primarily research in, if you don't mind my asking? 

Of course! I would like to work on 20th century French literature, with particular attention to what I call the ecologies of the body: how the subject, the body and its environment are reconfigured in writing. It covers a wide range of authors (Céline, Genet, Wittig, etc.) and I am hoping to get the opportunity to narrow my subject in the first years of the PhD program. Thanks for asking!

29 minutes ago, Robert_Kerans said:

Of course! I would like to work on 20th century French literature, with particular attention to what I call the ecologies of the body: how the subject, the body and its environment are reconfigured in writing. It covers a wide range of authors (Céline, Genet, Wittig, etc.) and I am hoping to get the opportunity to narrow my subject in the first years of the PhD program. Thanks for asking!

Now this is crazy. Who would you like to have as a research director then ? Based on what LOiseauRouge said in other posts, it seems that you would have a lot to say to each other.

My subject is quite close to yours as well ; I'm interested in how playwrights refer to animalistic figures to question how they can "belong" to a community. So... close enough?

On 2/14/2020 at 8:58 PM, Robert_Kerans said:

Just got an e-mail from DGS, I’m in!

That makes me think, you didn't submit your acceptance to the website, did you? Because all I can see is two people who had interviews on the 5th and on the 6th. I heard of no one else being accepted to NYU so far, or even rejected, regardless of them having been interviewed or not.

Edit: Nevermind, searching "nyu" provides less results than searching "new york university".

Edited by Tyger

2 hours ago, santudius fusansus said:

It seems that Princeton has sent out their offers?

yes, a while back, leaving the rest of us implied rejected. official decisions, they say, are made mid-April. But word is we are shit out of luck who have not been interviewed by now.