Applying to SLP Grad School with Low GPA

Hi everyone! I am a 4th year neuroscience major at UCLA. I am hoping to apply to a post-bacc or leveling SLP program soon after I graduate; however, I am pretty concerned that my low GPA will hinder any chance I have at getting accepted into one. My GPA is currently a 3.14 (with only about 30 units left to make any difference), I am doing better in my classes this quarter but don't think I have enough room to get it much higher than a 3.2. UCLA's neuro undergrad program is notorious for being a GPA killer, would grad programs take that into consideration? I have interned for a year at a baby sign language company where I work with typical and atypical children between the ages of 4 months and 3 years. I have a few other things on my resume such as work, volunteering as an English instructor, being part of a capstone research team & I am hopefully going to be working at the UCLA Language Lab next quarter. I also plan to shadow in the next quarter as I won't be taking any classes. The only relevant SLP courses that I've taken are (1) auditory neuroscience of speech perception and vocal communication (received an A) & (2) a comm class called science of language (currently enrolled and on track for an A). I have not taken the GRE yet. I plan to apply to Chapman's post-bacc program later this year, and the rest of my list (i.e. NYU, CSUN, CSU East Bay, SJSU, University of Redlands, University of the Pacific).

Can anyone tell how I fair as an out-of-field major? Do I have a shot? Also do you have any recommendations for what I should do to compensate for my low GPA and become a more competitive applicant? Please let me know, I would so appreciate any help! :)

Edited by JBruin

I think that if you do really well in your postbac courses you could be a strong applicant! From what I've heard, the CSD GPA is the one that matters most, so if you are able to get like a 3.75-4.0 in your postbac that will put you on track to be a strong applicant! I think also in your personal statements you would want to focus on your experiences (particularly baby sign language internship, volunteering as an English instructor, and research) , since those seem very relevant and very strong, and write about how the skills you've gained through those experiences will help you to succeed in graduate school and become an effective clinician. Also, definitely write about your neuroscience major and how that connects to your interest in speech pathology. For example, my undergrad was in linguistics, and in my personal statements I wrote about making connections between linguistic theory, empirical data, and the actual clients that I will see as an SLP. Also, in your postbac, build relationships with your professors from the beginning so that they know you decently well by the time it's recommendation season. Don't count yourself out just because of your GPA!

Edited by estel

Hello! 

If it helps I graduated from my uni with a 2.7 GPA and my degree was in Linguistics! After I graduated I looked for a post bacc program that would help boost my GPA and found a program that will help me become a certified SLPA! As of now my CSD GPA is a 3.9 and I've been told as well that most programs will look at the CSD GPA! I also wrote in my personal statement that I'm bilingual and how much of a need there is in the area im located at so I hope that will make me look like a "competitive" applicant. Overall I just wanted to let you know that I also have a low GPA during my undergrad but I've been constantly telling myself and with the help of others that I will definitely get into some grad program! So good luck to you and Im sure you will do great! 

Jackie 

I posted this elsewhere but thought that it would be helpful here too:

Your best bet is to try and study REALLY hard for the GRE or take some online courses to bolster your current GPA. If you don't want to take any additional courses I would recommend looking into non west-coast schools, specifically private schools. They are notorious for accepting people with lower GPA's but the catch is that they are typically more expensive since they are private and hence offer more spots. 

Also I'd recommend looking at EdFind (https://find.asha.org/ed#sort=relevancy)

From what I found these are schools where a very low GPA (2.5) will be considered:
-Francis Marion University 
-Montclair State University
-Xavier University of Louisiana

On 2/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, estel said:

I think that if you do really well in your postbac courses you could be a strong applicant! From what I've heard, the CSD GPA is the one that matters most, so if you are able to get like a 3.75-4.0 in your postbac that will put you on track to be a strong applicant! I think also in your personal statements you would want to focus on your experiences (particularly baby sign language internship, volunteering as an English instructor, and research) , since those seem very relevant and very strong, and write about how the skills you've gained through those experiences will help you to succeed in graduate school and become an effective clinician. Also, definitely write about your neuroscience major and how that connects to your interest in speech pathology. For example, my undergrad was in linguistics, and in my personal statements I wrote about making connections between linguistic theory, empirical data, and the actual clients that I will see as an SLP. Also, in your postbac, build relationships with your professors from the beginning so that they know you decently well by the time it's recommendation season. Don't count yourself out just because of your GPA!

Thank you so much for that insight! I think I was just worried that I wouldn't get accepted into any post-bacc programs, so I wouldn't even have an opportunity to better my position through having a CSD GPA. Do you know if post-bacc programs are very competitive or not?

On 2/19/2020 at 7:28 AM, Jackiee.san said:

Hello! 

If it helps I graduated from my uni with a 2.7 GPA and my degree was in Linguistics! After I graduated I looked for a post bacc program that would help boost my GPA and found a program that will help me become a certified SLPA! As of now my CSD GPA is a 3.9 and I've been told as well that most programs will look at the CSD GPA! I also wrote in my personal statement that I'm bilingual and how much of a need there is in the area im located at so I hope that will make me look like a "competitive" applicant. Overall I just wanted to let you know that I also have a low GPA during my undergrad but I've been constantly telling myself and with the help of others that I will definitely get into some grad program! So good luck to you and Im sure you will do great! 

Jackie 

Thanks for your reply Jackie!! Do you mind me asking which post-bacc program you chose and in your opinion, how difficult is it to get into an SLP post-bacc? Thank you so much again for your help

Hi JBruin!

I think you fair well enough but that you might be underselling yourself a bit without doing some more pre-reqs. I wasn't quite in the same boat when I applied, but as an out-of-field UCLA grad that has had a lot of the same questions before, I can definitely relate. I majored in anthropology with an emphasis on sociolinguistics and finished with research experience under the direction of a reputable person in the department. I went into this in loads of detail a while ago, so if you're curious about the particulars you can check out my GC post history (it's short). My GPA was okay (3.62) but it didn't make me as competitive as I wanted for the programs I was most excited about, so after being wait-listed from my top choice last year and rejected from everywhere else, I worked through pre-reqs via CSUSM, SMC, & PCC while working in a related field (reading intervention tailored to dyslexia and ASD). I did this to avoid the process of applying to post-baccs, because it seemed unnecessary to me if I could just take the classes without being in one. Anyway, as a result of all of this, my post-bacc GPA is significantly higher than my UCLA stats. Based on my experience this year, it seems to have made a massive difference, as I've gotten into two programs (PDX and LSUHSC-NO) so far and rejected from one (CalState Los Angeles). I'm still waiting for the others to release decisions. At this point I'm just really excited to have options. I'm sure if I'd done neuroscience for UG my stats would have been lower, and UCLA is known for their program being 1) very, very good, and 2) very competitive. However, there are a lot of great neuroscience programs, and knowing a lot of about how the brain works does not inherently make for good therapists, advocates, or researchers. Obviously it can and does tend to help a lot, but most programs are also looking for people with good perspective, passion, and a long-term track record of pushing themselves in addition to GPAs and test scores. In other words, usually they want people with a unique points of view that complement the work the department already does. 

I think it's important to think about the types of programs you'd be excited to be in and go into debt for. If you want more options, bridge programs are really great opportunities to hone what you want to get out of the field and will lead to less $$ being spent in a graduate program. I can't speak to Chapman's, but highly recommend the ones I've done and/or looking into ENMU. The classes at CSUSM and PCC in their SLPA program are fantastic and relatively low in cost if you do your research and pick and choose where you complete the courses. Another thing I did was made sure my GRE's were within the target range for all of the programs I was interested in. I used the free version of Magoosh and took it twice. Aside of those things, I secured the max number of recommendation letters I could for each program from a broad range of professors and coworkers/bosses. This is all to say that if you complete pre-reqs and do well on the GRE, you'll likely be fine, but just to make sure, you may want to look into working in a related field with the populations you're drawn to for one-to-one intervention experience and for non-academic references. If you happen to be interested in children and/or individuals on the spectrum, I'd suggest checking out Lindamood-Bell for summer work. You can PM me if you'd like more information about that. 

I hope this was helpful and not too long! If it wasn't and it was, my apologies. Happy Saturday :)

--

University of Washington - Portland State University - Vanderbilt - Northwestern - Louisiana State University Health New Orleans - CSU Los Angeles

Applied - Accepted - Wait-listed - Rejected

Edited by meadymalarkey

On 2/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, JBruin said:

Thanks for your reply Jackie!! Do you mind me asking which post-bacc program you chose and in your opinion, how difficult is it to get into an SLP post-bacc? Thank you so much again for your help

I applied to this online post bacc program from a school called ELMS College! They are based in Massachusetts but I live Texas so I did everything online (since it is an online program haha) and I'll be certified in May of 2020! I have been working full time and doing the program full time and right now Im doing my clinical practicums at two elementary schools! Also in my opinion it was not difficult at all, the program requires that you have at least a 2.6 gpa (undergrad) and you are definitely above that. I was surprised that they accepted  me into the program but was also relieved! Also the classes are manageable! I would recommend the program. let me know if you have any other questions!! 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:37 PM, JBruin said:

Thank you so much for that insight! I think I was just worried that I wouldn't get accepted into any post-bacc programs, so I wouldn't even have an opportunity to better my position through having a CSD GPA. Do you know if post-bacc programs are very competitive or not?

My understanding is that post-bacc programs tend to be less competitive. I think one of the main reasons that grad programs are so competitive is because they have a limited number of clinical placements that they can offer, but that's not an issue for post-bacc. For post-bacc you'll probably just be in like regular undergrad courses with undergrads, so there's less of a limit on the number of people they can accept. A few in-person post-bacc programs I can think of off the top of my head are: Pacific University, University of Washington (this one I think is longer and gets you a second bachelor's), University of Wisconsin, UMass-Amherst, Eastern Washington University, University of Oregon, Arizona State. Online programs will in general be cheaper, but I think an in-person one can be advantageous because it might be from a more well-known school and you might be able to get to know your professors better, leading to better letters of recommendation.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, Jackiee.san said:

Hello! 

Jackie 

Hi Jackie!

Would you mind telling me a little more about the post-bacc program you attended and how to find ones to help you become an SLPA?

Thanks!

Shannon

Edited by shannmariek

I also had a low GPA during my undergrad and not so high scores on the GRE, but I took some leveling classes and became an SLP-A and used my experience working to my advantage when I wrote my statement of purpose. I think with everything that you are involved in should definitely be mentioned in your statement and try to do well in the classes that you have left, but I would definitely try to do really well on the GRE. I know there's several people in my grad program that are leveling students.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, Jackiee.san said:

I applied to this online post bacc program from a school called ELMS College! They are based in Massachusetts but I live Texas so I did everything online (since it is an online program haha) and I'll be certified in May of 2020! I have been working full time and doing the program full time and right now Im doing my clinical practicums at two elementary schools! Also in my opinion it was not difficult at all, the program requires that you have at least a 2.6 gpa (undergrad) and you are definitely above that. I was surprised that they accepted  me into the program but was also relieved! Also the classes are manageable! I would recommend the program. let me know if you have any other questions!! 

Wow congrats! You're almost there :) & thank you so much for that info, I'll definitely look into ELMS

Hi! The above posts have provided a lot of helpful information. I'm here just want to share you with my own story. I'm also an out-of-field applicant and have exactly the same GPA as yours! My undergrad GPA was 3.17/4.3 (3.14/4.0, verified by WES). 

I tried a lot of ways to compensate my low GPA. I worked as a volunteer in an organization helping children with hearing loss and now as a research volunteer in a lab working with SLI children. I tried to incorporate my experience into SOP to make myself a passionate and proactive person. I also studied VERY hard for GRE and got good grades (159V, 167Q). As for prerequisites, I chose USU's online leveling courses and manage to get a 3.83 CSD GPA. This is my first year applying. I applied to Northwestern, MGH IHP, UIUC, Rush, U of Minnesota, UW-Madison, UNC--Chapel Hill and Teachers College. I was fortunate enough to be accepted to the first four schools!

I want to say that you have a lot of related experience and I believe they will make you competitive. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Edited by klin96

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 4:14 PM, Jackiee.san said:

Hi Jackie! I’m also an undergrad with a low GPA and was wondering what specific post bacc program you were doing at Elms College. Is it the premedical post baccalaureate program? I was also wondering what their minimum GPA was as it isn’t listed on their website and if you applied with your 2.7 undergrad gpa to this program? Thank you - Ricky

On 2/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, JBruin said:

Hi everyone! I am a 4th year neuroscience major at UCLA. I am hoping to apply to a post-bacc or leveling SLP program soon after I graduate; however, I am pretty concerned that my low GPA will hinder any chance I have at getting accepted into one. My GPA is currently a 3.14 (with only about 30 units left to make any difference), I am doing better in my classes this quarter but don't think I have enough room to get it much higher than a 3.2. UCLA's neuro undergrad program is notorious for being a GPA killer, would grad programs take that into consideration? I have interned for a year at a baby sign language company where I work with typical and atypical children between the ages of 4 months and 3 years. I have a few other things on my resume such as work, volunteering as an English instructor, being part of a capstone research team & I am hopefully going to be working at the UCLA Language Lab next quarter. I also plan to shadow in the next quarter as I won't be taking any classes. The only relevant SLP courses that I've taken are (1) auditory neuroscience of speech perception and vocal communication (received an A) & (2) a comm class called science of language (currently enrolled and on track for an A). I have not taken the GRE yet. I plan to apply to Chapman's post-bacc program later this year, and the rest of my list (i.e. NYU, CSUN, CSU East Bay, SJSU, University of Redlands, University of the Pacific).

Can anyone tell how I fair as an out-of-field major? Do I have a shot? Also do you have any recommendations for what I should do to compensate for my low GPA and become a more competitive applicant? Please let me know, I would so appreciate any help! :)

Hi! If you have any questions about the SJSU extended master's program let me know! I am in the grad program there and while I'm not in the extended masters, I've heard a lot about the leveling year from my classmates. Best of luck! 

• 4 weeks later...