How to Negotiate for More Funding and Other Fun Extra Curriculars

reddcurry

hey folks!

I wanted to start this thread because I couldn't find one like it yet (please redirect me if it exists!). I'll ask my Q but invite others to ask theirs about negotiating funding here too! We never talk about money, it's all so hush hush around the seminar room, so let's help each other anonymously?

Question: How have y'all negotiated upgraded funding offers when the first just doesn't make the cut?

My predicament: The school I'm leaning towards if I don't get a scholarship for my top choice (admitted) has offered me base funding plus a very modest admission "bonus", which is considerably less than I got for my master's, and it also just isn't enough to live on (completely financially independent here, no co-signers either). For argument's sake, and without divulging too much about myself, I can confirm that I have a proven record of winning prestigious scholarships, I have been active in university life, GPA is excellent, my CV includes conferences, papers, and academic event organizing, and I am an excellent fit with the university with a supervisor eager to work with me. The only bargaining chip I do not have is the one that keeps sounding like the only one that matters: a competing funding offer. Ridiculously, perhaps, I want that bonus to be multiplied by 3-10, and that lower end is still annoying me. I'm asking my current GPD and PhD peers for advice too, but need all I can get. I am ready to decline this current offer, even if it means no doctorate - that's how much it doesn't work for me. Honestly I saw the offer and had the first moment in this whole process where I was like "well [curse], maybe I'm financially locked out of a PhD after all."

Any constructive words are welcome! :)

@reddcurry I was just accepted into a doctoral Anthropology program as well and am wondering if you would be comfortable telling us what is a livable stipend you consider and what isn't. 

I ask because I don't even have a basis of understanding to go off of to analyze my own stipend offer ($25k for 9 months, for 5 years).

53 minutes ago, masthana said:

@reddcurry I was just accepted into a doctoral Anthropology program as well and am wondering if you would be comfortable telling us what is a livable stipend you consider and what isn't. 

I ask because I don't even have a basis of understanding to go off of to analyze my own stipend offer ($25k for 9 months, for 5 years).

This is going to vary significantly based on location. The best thing to do is look at what rents look like ($25k in a rural part of the midwest will get you a lot further than $25k in California or NYC for instance). Look up cost of living calculators online for your region. Reach out to some current grad students and ask them how they make it work. They will usually be pretty honest in telling you that they have a roommate or 2, a part time job, take out loans, etc. to make the stipend work if necessary.  

Have you received any other, better funded offers? When I was negotiating, I mentioned a funding offer at a higher ranked program and the program I currently attend offered me a fellowship. If your first choice is higher ranked/more prestigious, you could send an email to the program you're leaning toward and basically say you're choosing between the two and your decision would be easier if you received X (summer funding? other incentives?). You could also email your top choice and let them know you received a funded offer from the other program, but reiterate that they are your top choice and you hope to receive funding so you can attend. Good luck!

Hello!

So, first off, I only applied to two universities this cycle. It was all I could afford. I didn't get into one, but I got into another that is higher ranked. Previously, I was set out to attend my undergraduate institute, where I was fully funded, but opted out as it was a last minute decision (on my part) and I want a terminal degree.

I don't have anything to leverage against the university I was admitted to, not outside of my academic merit and potentially my minority status. I would love to attend, but I cannot afford it. I would love to work at the university in some capacity while attending, but I'm not sure that's a possibility.

If anyone could provide me some advice or maybe point me in whatever direction I should go to approach this, I would appreciate it a lot. 

Thank you. : )

19 hours ago, hauxkage said:

Hello!

So, first off, I only applied to two universities this cycle. It was all I could afford. I didn't get into one, but I got into another that is higher ranked. Previously, I was set out to attend my undergraduate institute, where I was fully funded, but opted out as it was a last minute decision (on my part) and I want a terminal degree.

I don't have anything to leverage against the university I was admitted to, not outside of my academic merit and potentially my minority status. I would love to attend, but I cannot afford it. I would love to work at the university in some capacity while attending, but I'm not sure that's a possibility.

If anyone could provide me some advice or maybe point me in whatever direction I should go to approach this, I would appreciate it a lot. 

Thank you. : )

The way I see it, your option is to contact the university, say you'd love to attend but would only be able to do so with funding, and hope they offer it to you. The worst they can say is no.

• 2 months later...