NSERC C/PGSD 2020-2021

TheCivLad

Just now, StructIntern said:

Alternate shortlist....2:53 pm last name "Y" ...committee 201...looks like you do need to up your journal publications for this .... I have only one 2nd author paper plus a few conferences....

probably true, i just got cgs-d committee 201.. i have 1 publication (first author) and at time of applying had a second publication being reviewed.

Just now, circuitsPhD said:

Anyone that got a CGS in EE (committee 197) happen to be going to school outside of Canada and will be taking a PGS? Just me being wishful it seems i'm one below the cut-off.

You have a chance of getting upgraded. Last year I remember 2 or 3 Guys from ECE ended up getting it (were waitlisted) .. this means 2 to 3 guys ended up not continuing with NSERC for various reasons. if one of these 12 winners ended it getting vanier scholarship (which is very possible) you are automatically upgraded. 

21 minutes ago, Eff5 said:

Got alternate for committee 198, at 2:37pm.

EDIT wait does everyone who gets rejected get an alternate, or should I keep my hopes up?

My results came in and I was just rejected, so "alternate" is definitely a step above.  

• The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Scholarships and Fellowships selection committees have recently completed their evaluation of all applications received in the current competition. I regret to inform you that your application did not score highly enough to be funded, and you will not be offered an award.

2 minutes ago, StructIntern said:

Now I am motivated more than ever to get that 1st author paper out and re-apply this October !!! 

I'm glad to hear that! 

I'm in the second year of my PhD now which definitely gives an advantage, hopefully you can add to your CV for the next round.

One thing that I think helped me was using the Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement to do a research trip, if that's something that interests you I'd highly recommend looking into it. It only took a couple months from the date I applied to receive it!

Just now, SamECE said:

You have a chance of getting upgraded. Last year I remember 2 or 3 Guys from ECE ended up getting it (were waitlisted) .. this means 2 to 3 guys ended up not continuing with NSERC for various reasons. if one of these 12 winners ended it getting vanier scholarship (which is very possible) you are automatically upgraded. 

Thanks! I'm wishing everyone in EE (and everyone else) luck with Vanier and admissions to international universities! Haha!

4 minutes ago, Eff5 said:

89/166, seems unlikely I'll make it off the waitlist

I got a similar ranking in another committee...right around the Belly....I am actually surprised that the waistlist goes all the way to the median ... I keep wondering if the cut-off for waitlist is based on the approx number of people who turned down their award from previous year or what....

Just now, rejected_ubc said:

My results came in and I was just rejected, so "alternate" is definitely a step above.  

• The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Scholarships and Fellowships selection committees have recently completed their evaluation of all applications received in the current competition. I regret to inform you that your application did not score highly enough to be funded, and you will not be offered an award.

which letter starts your last name?

Just now, circuitsPhD said:

Thanks! I'm wishing everyone in EE (and everyone else) luck with Vanier and admissions to international universities! Haha!

What scores did you get for Research and Relevant experience if you don't mind sharing. I just want to see the difference between us as I am just one above you and that was the cut.

Just now, SamECE said:

What scores did you get for Research and Relevant experience if you don't mind sharing. I just want to see the difference between us as I am just one above you and that was the cut.

I got 4.13 on research and 5.40 on experience and achievements. How about you?

Just received PGSD3 for committee 169! I was ranked 65/194.

Thanks to everyone for posting on here and making this process much less miserable and anxiety-inducing!

Best of luck to anyone who hasn't heard back yet :)

2 hours ago, thermocycling said:

Got my results (committee 195) at 12:26 PM (CGS-D)!

My ranking was 30/182 btw so I feel like I must’ve just made the cut-off for CGS-D, but I really have no idea? I’m still wondering how many scholarships are allocated per committee.