NSERC C/PGSD 2020-2021

TheCivLad

1 minute ago, chemcafe said:

If you get the email, then you most likely got the award. NSERC doesn't really care about the people they reject. That's at least what i learned last year when they made us wait for weeks for a rejection letter. oh well

I agree..

30 minutes ago, Rtmchem said:

I seriously doubt the funding cuts due to COVID. If you are receiving NSERC money, it makes you ineligible for the CERB anyways. The CERB (2k/month) actually comes out to more money than the PGSD per month (1750/month) anyways, lol. 

NSERC funding is not considered employment income, so it does not disqualify you from receiving CERB. Winners of NSERC awards who are in regular cycles will not receive their funding until September anyways so even if it were to count towards income considerations, you would have to receive funding during one of the CERB payment periods to be disqualified. 

30 minutes ago, Suchi said:

Hello,

In order to ensure that you receive your results of the 2020 NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and Canada Graduate Scholarships – Doctoral (PGS/CGS D) competition in a timely manner, NSERC has developed a new extranet site to securely share this information electronically.

To support this process, you will be receiving two system-generated emails from NSERC prompting you to access your new account on the NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Extranet. The first email will contain a link to the Extranet as well as your username, and the second email will contain your password. Once you log into your account, you will be able to access award information such as your notification of results letter for the recent PGS/CGS D competition, which will be available on April 16 before 11:59 p.m. (ET). If you do not receive the system-generated emails within two days from the date of this email, first check your spam email folder and then contact us atschol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca

Sincerely,

NSERC Scholarships and Fellowships Division

I wonder why they make this so complicated. Why not just integrate the award announcements into the application portal? Everyone already has access and can just log on to see if they received an award, are on the waiting list or not. 

6 minutes ago, BioFish said:

NSERC funding is not considered employment income, so it does not disqualify you from receiving CERB. Winners of NSERC awards who are in regular cycles will not receive their funding until September anyways so even if it were to count towards income considerations, you would have to receive funding during one of the CERB payment periods to be disqualified. 

You have to have made $5000 in the last year to get CERB (outside of the money you take home from scholarships as you noted). Not sure how it works at your school, but at mine there are restrictions to having jobs outside of grad school as it is a full time commitment. Even if it is possible to qualify for the CERB whilst being a grad student on scholarship, I find it very unlikely that the government would reduce the amount of NSERC scholarships given out. For one this would really screw over students, and two, the government has already shown they are willing to throw around money to everyone else who qualifies via the CERB, what makes you think they would suddenly cut funding to grad students?

4 minutes ago, Rtmchem said:

You have to have made $5000 in the last year to get CERB (outside of the money you take home from scholarships as you noted). Not sure how it works at your school, but at mine there are restrictions to having jobs outside of grad school as it is a full time commitment. Even if it is possible to qualify for the CERB whilst being a grad student on scholarship, I find it very unlikely that the government would reduce the amount of NSERC scholarships given out. For one this would really screw over students, and two, the government has already shown they are willing to throw around money to everyone else who qualifies via the CERB, what makes you think they would suddenly cut funding to grad students?

Teaching Assistantships are considered employment income and most TA contracts exceed $10,000 per academic year for graduate students so any grad student who has a TA contract should be eligible for CERB, regardless of any other funding. 

I agree with you, though. I do not see them cutting NSERC funding because of COVID-19. I just wanted to clarify that grad students with funding packages who have made $5,000 or more in the last year or in 2019 can get CERB.

Edited by BioFish

Just now, BioFish said:

Teaching Assistantships are considered employment income and most TA contracts exceed $10,000 per academic year for graduate students so any grad student who has a TA contract should be eligible for CERB, regardless of any other funding. 

I agree with you, though. I do not see them cutting NSERC funding because of COVID-19. I just wanted to clarify that grad students with funding packages who have made $5,000 or more in the las year or in 2019 can get CERB.

Wow, not sure what school you go to, but our TA contracts do not get anywhere 10k a year... If that’s the case then you certainly you have an argument. 

Just now, BioFish said:

I agree with you, though. I do not see them cutting NSERC funding because of COVID-19. I just wanted to clarify that grad students with funding packages who have made $5,000 or more in the las year or in 2019 can get CERB.

What about who had TA contracts last year and make more than 5000. But, not doing TA this year? Can they apply too?

Just now, hrp said:

What about who had TA contracts last year and make more than 5000. But, not doing TA this year? Can they apply too?

As long as you have $5,000.00 or more in employment income on your 2019 tax return or have made $5,000.00 or more in the last 12 months, you would qualify. Remember though, that if you have not been working this year, they will likely question your CERB application as one of the requirements is that you stopped working due to COVID-19. In my case and in most cases I'm sure, Spring/Summer TA contracts are no longer available to us because of the departure from in-person instruction.

5 minutes ago, Rtmchem said:

Wow, not sure what school you go to, but our TA contracts do not get anywhere 10k a year... If that’s the case then you certainly you have an argument. 

I'm sure the TA contracts (hours, wage, etc.) vary between schools, but if you are working as a TA in the Fall and Winter terms and receiving less than $5,000.00 in income, I strongly recommend that the TAs at your school unionize and fight for better pay. 

Edited by BioFish