NSERC C/PGSD 2020-2021

TheCivLad

40 minutes ago, thatblondegirl said:

Let's hope for good news tomorrow!  I still am thinking mid-April is more likely (even though they CLAIM there are no delays).  Let's see...

I wish you all luck!

That's right! Friday night is also a possibility. Good luck!

Last Year, NSERC stated officially that results of the competition were sent out on Friday, March 29th which lines up with when the majority of winners received their email from reading the forums. Looking at the calendar, tomorrow (Friday April 3) seems like as good a guess as any for when emails will go out. That is, if COVID-19 has not delayed this process. Fingers crossed for everyone! 

So I wrote an email to NSERC so we can get more information, and here's what I got as answer:

Hello Félix,
Due to the COVID-19 crises the results of the 2020 PGS/CGSD have been delayed normally to mid-April. They will be sent by email.
Thanks,

What I don't understand is they say COVID19 won't impact the release date while they say it is in email.
But anyway, the point is I think we will have to wait again for at least one week. My guess is April 10th or April 13th. 

21 minutes ago, FelixTheCat8888 said:

So I wrote an email to NSERC so we can get more information, and here's what I got as answer:

Hello Félix,
Due to the COVID-19 crises the results of the 2020 PGS/CGSD have been delayed normally to mid-April. They will be sent by email.
Thanks,

What I don't understand is they say COVID19 won't impact the release date while they say it is in email.
But anyway, the point is I think we will have to wait again for at least one week. My guess is April 10th or April 13th. 

I think they tried to hold on to "business as usual" as long as they could, but it's reasonable that social distancing as a result of COVID-19 would delay results. At least we have some kind of confirmation that all results will be sent by email in the coming week or two, which we haven't had in previous years. Stay optimistic everyone!

6 minutes ago, BioFish said:

I think they tried to hold on to "business as usual" as long as they could, but it's reasonable that social distancing as a result of COVID-19 would delay results. At least we have some kind of confirmation that all results will be sent by email in the coming week or two, which we haven't had in previous years. Stay optimistic everyone!

A general statement such as "results will be released in April" is quite safe....I thought the review process is mostly virtual as each member receives and reviews applications at the comfort of their home/office. The Competition Week and all review/chair meetings are also virtual (as per the pgs-d committee guide available online). They can work from home anyway with or without COVID-19. 

However, with that being said, the committee members are mostly profs at universities. Anything scheduled in March, likely those review meetings, will get delayed due to class cancellation, preparation of online instruction, self-isolation from conferences/travel etc. 

1 hour ago, MNaiem said:

Did anyone hear anything today? 

So you got the email from Vanier I assume? Let's hope the release of Vanier and CGSD is managed separately..... At this point no news is bad news....

I haven't heard anything either!

Vanier applications are ran through ResearchNet sand C/PGSD is ran directly through the NSERC website... so I'm still keeping positive. There is enough of us on here that ~42% of us should have good news to share when there is news! 

Edited by MechEngBittie

Out of curiosity, is each committee allocated a certain quota or rank cutoff since the ranking is confined within each committee ???  It seems unfair if someone from biomedical is compared to someone from civil in a master ranking list. 

9 minutes ago, StructIntern said:

Out of curiosity, is each committee allocated a certain quota or rank cutoff since the ranking is confined within each committee ???  It seems unfair if someone from biomedical is compared to someone from civil in a master ranking list. 

I believe this is the case. Here is what I found:

"The research subject code (see List of Research Subject Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) entered in the application will determine the selection committee in which the application will be evaluated. NSERC may assign the application to a different committee if it determines that the subject matter is more appropriate for another committee. The selection committees recommend scholarships for the applications they consider to be most meritorious, according to the selection criteria described in the CGS D program description and within the limit of available awards"

I haven't heard anything yet either - PGS-D Cognitive Psychology

ahhh the anticipation is killing me! on their news release (march 31) they're saying IF there are delays, they'd be communicated...but it's been over a week past the 23 week mark. confused to why they're emailing people one thing and putting out news releases saying another. probably because of covid19? 

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Media-Media/NewsRelease-CommuniqueDePresse_eng.asp?ID=1139

2 hours ago, Cloe Losier said:

I got the Vanier scholarship, whose results were released on April 6th, and still did not hear anything from PGS-D...

Omg that's amazing many congrats on Vanier!!!!!!!!!! 
haha maybe they're doing it sequentially XD

2 hours ago, Cloe Losier said:

I got the Vanier scholarship, whose results were released on April 6th, and still did not hear anything from PGS-D...

If I were you, I would not worry about PGS-D at all......while I secrety wish my committee group is full of Vanier scholars this year ?

21 hours ago, Cloe Losier said:

Congratulations on your achievement!

Was there a date for when you need to response to the offer by? I am currently on the waiting list and am curious about what the timeline could be like.