Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Hey all, for those who applied to UCLA, did you get an email from them with this link??

https://www.psych.ucla.edu/grads/areas-of-study/clinical-psychology/prospective-clinical-area-applicants

Does this mean I'm pretty much rejected?  ?

Update: Yeah, rejected lol.  I saw others who got the same thing. Oh welp. Still waiting to hear from CSUN

Edited by psiqua

2 hours ago, denverems said:

Hi All! Newb here. No one seems to respond when inquiries are made about news from DU PsyD. I have seen the rejections, but has anyone received an interview or at least emailed to get an "accurate" timeline? Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!

Thanks for asking this! I have seen a few rejections on the results page but no interview invites.  I have not heard anything and my application portal still says "You will be notified of your admission decision by email." If anyone has received an interview for the PsyD program at DU or knows the interview date  please let us know.

Thanks everyone :) 

4 minutes ago, DGS0317 said:

Thanks for asking this! I have seen a few rejections on the results page but no interview invites.  I have not heard anything and my application portal still says "You will be notified of your admission decision by email." If anyone has received an interview for the PsyD program at DU or knows the interview date  please let us know.

Thanks everyone :) 

I just checked the website and it says interview invites will go out in January and interviews will be at the end of February/early March. Since interviews aren't in person this year, I guess they have a few more weeks to let people know

6 hours ago, Schy said:

So I got rejected from the one program I applied to. I feel like I could write a book about why I decided to do that (lol). My research interests are pretty specific/behavior analysis programs seemed to fit/there aren't many people that research what I want to research/whatever. But I did it and I felt good about it. But ultimately I got rejected and the PI suggested I pursue a masters first (in the end she chose a someone with a masters over me IT MAKES SENSE). This is my third cycle and honestly at this point I guess getting a masters is my only choice if I really want to pursue this/a phd and I have to be honest I'm really not happy about that. I understand all of it but I am so not happy. 

All the advice I have read about the PhD admissions process says that applying to 10+ programs is advisable, but applying to around 14 programs is recommended. This is because of the extremely competitive nature of fully funded PhD programs. It is 100% unfair, however, fee waivers exist for those without the means to pay application fees (although I would argue that they are confusing to procure).

Because acceptance rates are 10% and below, it makes sense why this would be recommended to us, because it increases chances of admission. I would say this was even more important this year with 2-3x the applicants. But even applying to 10 schools may not work because acceptance rates are increasingly being met at between 1-5%. That is between a 1-5 in 100 shot of getting accepted, so applying to a bunch of schools is very reasonable in my mind. Even if you apply to 100 schools at a 1% acceptance rate, you still have a ~36% chance of getting rejected to every single school. You also have a ~63% chance of getting accepted to at least one. But who's gonna apply to 100 damn schools?

Thats why you have to know these chances and really boost your CV to match with specific programs. I saved up for a long time because I did research on this and thought of it as a small investment in my future that will have a big payoff  later on. I would definitely not recommend applying to under 5 programs and banking on getting in. Especially if it meant putting your life on hold in hopes of having a small, small shot at acceptance. It is so risky.  But ultimately, this whole process discriminates against people of color and those who are socioeconomically disadvantaged. 

6 hours ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Question- 

I had a really great Prelim Zoom with a PI back in November (said I was "very competitive" and had "impressive ideas"), and after that call was in touch with the PI asking a few questions about the application. PI stated they were really excited to read my materials, etc. And the match with my research interests couldn't have been better.

Now it's about 10 days from interview day, and I'm gunna be honest- I'm getting antsy. Given that I've had several good instances of communication, including an hour long PreLim Zoom in November with this PI, would it be in the realm of normalcy to e-mail them and say something along the lines of "I noticed that the interview date is coming up. Wanted to check in." ??? [not exact wording obviously]. Does that come off as concerned/proactive rather than impatient? Or should I just wait patiently to see if I get an e-mail in the next 10 days?

An important caveat factoring into this question is that admissions has said they'll be sending out invites "really soon", and some people received an invite yesterday, but they weren't with my PI. 

Grateful for any advice! Thx

I would say something along the lines of,

"Dear Dr. XXX, 

I hope this email finds you well and that you are enjoying your week. Thank you very much for our conversation this past November-- I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the program and our intersecting research interests. The reason that I am reaching out is to hopefully set up another time to talk and discuss the possibility of working together. I want to once more emphasize my strong interest in your work and the [clinical/counseling] [Ph.D./M.A.] program at [university of XX].  .  .  .  . [personalize as needed]

Sincerely,

EyelandPychePhD"

4 hours ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Thank you for your input! And no, it was not a "preliminary interview", I just called it a PreLim Zoom (Preliminary to the application itself I suppose!)- but yes, an informational discussion.

The interview date is 2/5 (10.5 days from now). Would it be wise to wait until Friday to reach out, or do you feel it's advisable to get in touch today?

I really appreciate your input and the time you spent considering my question!

Got it - I think its totally up to you! At this point it seems pretty late to receive an invite but some programs have been running behind. I don't see any real difference in asking today vs asking Friday. Good luck!

4 hours ago, expensiveswimmer said:

Question for the masses:

I’ve been working with the same PI for two years now. In order to make my application more competitive, should I apply for more RA/Coordinator positions outside of the lab I currently work at? This PI is well respected in OCD research and is very well known. However, I haven’t had many opportunities for manuscript authorship.

I would ask your current PI how to get involved so that you can get published. I have worked in a research lab for the past 3 years and there were times when I wouldn't work on manuscripts and also didn't actively push for it (had kids etc.) but once I got more active again I specifically asked to be involved in manuscripts and projects that would ultimately get me some publications, whether it be with doctoral students or himself and other collaborations. My PI always appreciates the initiative so I haven't felt weird to ask for it.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard back from Nova Southeastern University PhD/PsyD Clinical Psychology program? I saw on the results page that applicants who applied for early admission have already received interviews and acceptances, but haven't heard anything from applicants who applied for regular admission deadline of Jan 8th. I spoke with admissions and they said that they have started sending invites out, and we should know by next week. Has anyone received any communication from them? The wait is killing me haha.

Thank you, and good luck with all your applications!

Hi, all! I was wondering if anyone had any insight regarding my following inquiry. I interviewed at a Counseling Ph.D. program a few weeks ago, and today I saw that an individual posted here that they received their acceptance today. Does anyone know if all acceptances go out at once or is it done at different times depending on the professor you applied for? I am just trying to figure out if there is still hope or if I will be rejected/waitlisted! I wish you all the best of luck with the rest of the process!

2 hours ago, clinical_sike said:

All the advice I have read about the PhD admissions process says that applying to 10+ programs is advisable, but applying to around 14 programs is recommended. This is because of the extremely competitive nature of fully funded PhD programs. It is 100% unfair, however, fee waivers exist for those without the means to pay application fees (although I would argue that they are confusing to procure).

Because acceptance rates are 10% and below, it makes sense why this would be recommended to us, because it increases chances of admission. I would say this was even more important this year with 2-3x the applicants. But even applying to 10 schools may not work because acceptance rates are increasingly being met at between 1-5%. That is between a 1-5 in 100 shot of getting accepted, so applying to a bunch of schools is very reasonable in my mind. Even if you apply to 100 schools at a 1% acceptance rate, you still have a ~36% chance of getting rejected to every single school. You also have a ~63% chance of getting accepted to at least one. But who's gonna apply to 100 damn schools?

Thats why you have to know these chances and really boost your CV to match with specific programs. I saved up for a long time because I did research on this and thought of it as a small investment in my future that will have a big payoff  later on. I would definitely not recommend applying to under 5 programs and banking on getting in. Especially if it meant putting your life on hold in hopes of having a small, small shot at acceptance. It is so risky.  But ultimately, this whole process discriminates against people of color and those who are socioeconomically disadvantaged. 

That’s what I did last time. Honestly I only applied to the one because someone brought it to my attention! The program was looking to *expand* and include more disadvantaged people.  Like I mentioned before my area of research is super specific. So I took whatever advantage I could and ran with it. When it came down to it she told me verbatim is was between me and someone with a masters. And she wanted to let me know ASAP in case I wanted to apply to MA/MS ABA programs that still had open deadlines. It was actually my first year not applying to a clinical program and I got soooo far. 

Edited by Schy

1 minute ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

Crap, a prof in the department? And they said PsyD, not PhD? ?

They work in both departments, and I mentioned I applied to the PsyD while asking for some career advice, and they told me it was an extremely competitive year and then dropped that bomb.

4 minutes ago, Desperate13 said:

They work in both departments, and I mentioned I applied to the PsyD while asking for some career advice, and they told me it was an extremely competitive year and then dropped that bomb.

Well, that’s devastating. Getting into that program would have meant not only going to an incredible program, but also it was my one hope for not being coast-to-coast long distance with my partner who is moving to the east coast. 

7 minutes ago, Desperate13 said:

Did they mention anything about the timeline being effected by the number of applicants?

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

Got it - I think its totally up to you! At this point it seems pretty late to receive an invite but some programs have been running behind. I don't see any real difference in asking today vs asking Friday. Good luck!

Thankfully I refrained from e-mailing. Just got the CSU interview invite I was hoping for! ?

16 minutes ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

Did they mention anything about the timeline being effected by the number of applicants?

14 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

Oh great only my first choice .... fml. Any idea on when we might hear back? ?

Unfortunately, they did not mention anything about when we might hear back. I could ask, but I do not want to be too much of a bother. I'm not entirely certain about their level of involvement in the process or if this is just information that was passed around in the department. I know this info sucks, but it at least motivated me to apply for some jobs since the chances are so slim and Rutgers was my last hope.

Just now, Desperate13 said:

Unfortunately, they did not mention anything about when we might hear back. I could ask, but I do not want to be too much of a bother. I'm not entirely certain about their level of involvement in the process or if this is just information that was passed around in the department. I know this info sucks, but it at least motivated me to apply for some jobs since the chances are so slim and Rutgers was my last hope.

Of course, totally understand! I’m so sorry. I feel you. It was my dream program and top choice and I was so excited to apply this year and was actually hoping it would be a good year (no idea what made me think that....)