MPH 2021 Canada

I got an offer for Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology (GDCE) program’s at McMaster. Could someone please advise about job prospects, I was not able to get admission in mph in Canada because I didn’t have enough volunteer experience.

please advise and what future prospects will be in case I accept the offer 

3 hours ago, Mini124 said:

I got an offer for Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology (GDCE) program’s at McMaster. Could someone please advise about job prospects, I was not able to get admission in mph in Canada because I didn’t have enough volunteer experience.

I got an offer as well, not sure abt your questions tho. 

Edited by LindaZhou1999

18 hours ago, Mini124 said:

Here's my two cents. It's better to think deeply about it rather than accepting it. They are probably offering it after seeing something in your CV and/or statement of interest align with the program. If you feel it may help you with regards to jobs and/or career direction, then by all means go for it. Conversely, If you feel it won't add any value to your future then don't accept it. At the end of the day, they are an institution who are looking to make a profit, so the decision is ultimately up to you. Just answer these questions truthfully. If you can answer them confidently after careful reflection, then you should probably go for it. If not, then please don't.

1. Would a Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology be beneficial to my career aspirations? If so, how come?

2. Why would a GDCE be better than an MPH for my career aspirations or job prospects?

3. What is my plan after completing a GDCE?

4. What are the pros/cons of completing a GDCE vs MPH?

5. Would I still need to complete an MPH Program to get where I want?

6. Not related to the above 5, but also reflect on your EC's; What other EC opportunities are there that I can partake in that will help me develop a better understanding of Public Health and develop a stronger application?

Moreover, I would strongly recommend you reach out to previous students of the program (contacts, LinkedIn) and learn about the program. They are more likely to give you an honest, un-biased answer. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by BEN29

23 hours ago, hopeful2776 said:

I am! :( I called the admissions office on Wednesday but no one picked up. Gonna call again tomorrow and see if they have any updates 

If you don't mind, let me know what they tell you.

Just heard back from McMaster after being waitlisted since March. Turns out they don't have any more seats and basically encouraged me to apply again. Anyhow, all the best to anyone waiting for offers from other institutions (other than Mac). Take care.

10 hours ago, mphapp said:

Yay congrats!! Do you happen to know if there is a FB group? TIA:)

Congrats to you too! And I don't know if there's one either.. I'll let you know if I find one/let me know if you find one!

2 hours ago, 2helix said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Brock vs. McMaster. I just (today) received an offer from Brock. For sure figured I wasn't getting it, so now having to make a decision I didn't plan on! Will be part-time. Thanks in advance!

Hey,

Congrats! I too expected to not get in at both (and actually ended up not getting into both after being waitlisted at both). They are both great programs. I believe McMaster has better practicums across Hamilton and GTA whereas for Brock it depends on which organizations you want to do it with(according to what I've heard from their admissions webinars). They are both 1 year full time (16 months if you decide to do thesis). Brock is completely online whereas Mac has in person components (which might happen this fall or next winter). Other than that, I also know Brock has more choices when it comes to electives compared with Mac. Regardless of whichever you chose, you would still end up with an MPH degree. So its totally up to you. All the best!

20 hours ago, rk12 said:

Congrats to you too! And I don't know if there's one either.. I'll let you know if I find one/let me know if you find one!

I believe we will receive an invitation for the fb group from the mph office soon, as stated in the email I received this morning! Hope this helps:) 

F41A7F2D-265B-40E5-9D4E-AB9066597D00.jpeg

42 minutes ago, mphapp said:

I believe we will receive an invitation for the fb group from the mph office soon, as stated in the email I received this morning! Hope this helps:) 

F41A7F2D-265B-40E5-9D4E-AB9066597D00.jpeg

Just got the email too. Thank you :)

Just curious if there is anyone who has not yet heard back from UofT regarding their MPH application status yet?

I emailed them last week as their website said all applicant would know by June 30, but still have not received a reply and the application website still says 'under review'. 

On 7/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, EmpowerMPH said:

Just curious if there is anyone who has not yet heard back from UofT regarding their MPH application status yet?

I emailed them last week as their website said all applicant would know by June 30, but still have not received a reply and the application website still says 'under review'. 

Hi there! My application (for health promo) still says "under review". I'm not going for UofT anymore, but I hope you receive an acceptance to whichever MPH you've applied for.

1 hour ago, jonjonjon said:

Hi there! My application (for health promo) still says "under review". I'm not going for UofT anymore, but I hope you receive an acceptance to whichever MPH you've applied for.

Thanks, kind of a relief to know I'm not alone! I've decided on attending a different MPH program as well, but it would be nice to have a peace of mind regarding the final outcome of the UofT app. I did get in touch with admissions this past week and they confirmed I was still being considered, but no info on when I'd hear back ?

Edited by EmpowerMPH

37 minutes ago, EmpowerMPH said:

Thanks, kind of a relief to know I'm not alone! I've decided on attending a different MPH program as well, but it would be nice to have a peace of mind regarding the final outcome of the UofT app. I did get in touch with admissions this past week and they confirmed I was still being considered, but no info on when I'd hear back ?

Congrats on getting into the other MPH program(s) to look forward to! I'm glad we both have alternatives. Yeah there must be some kind of delay because I recall that UofT sends out decisions no later than June, but that seems to be not true this year haha..