MPH 2021 Canada

15 minutes ago, Mphepi2021 said:

Did anyone have trouble deciding between a MPH and a MSc in epidemiology? Stuck on that right now. I know the merits of both, but I'm not 100% sure what I want to do in the future. I think I want to work in government, but more in a hard science/research based area. 

Which schools are you comparing? I've noticed from people's linkedins that those with MSc's in epidemiology also end up in government positions (makes me regret not applying to an MSc as well). 

17 minutes ago, Natasha7 said:

Which schools are you comparing? I've noticed from people's linkedins that those with MSc's in epidemiology also end up in government positions (makes me regret not applying to an MSc as well). 

Queen's for both. Which makes them pretty comparable other than being practicum vs thesis based. Upfront, the MPH is heaps more money because it doesn't come with funding, but it is a shorter program...

2 hours ago, pklrik said:

Has anyone applied to LSHTM? 

I applied yesterday and got an offer email today. Has anyone who applied heard back from them quickly after applying? it threw me off to hear the next day 

Congrats!!! What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

13 hours ago, pklrik said:

I applied yesterday and got an offer email today. Has anyone who applied heard back from them quickly after applying? it threw me off to hear the next day 

Ya I did, my friend told me about the program earlier this month. I applied on a Saturday night and got an offer on Monday morning at 6:30am. Definitely threw me off as well.

It does make me feel better given how my Canadian applications went. Was rejected from Mun and Lakehead, waitlisted for Brock, Waterloo, uOttawa, then rejected by Brock and Waterloo in the last 5 days or so.. Still crossing my fingers and waiting for uOttawa ?. I only found out about this forum recently so I've been lurking and it's really nice to hear from others! :)

On 5/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, bethd said:

hi guys

got accepted to UofT health promo in March and just wondering if there are any group chats or anything to join, for MPH or specifically health promo!

cheers! ?

If you message me I can add you to the chat!

6 hours ago, QuePasa said:

Ya I did, my friend told me about the program earlier this month. I applied on a Saturday night and got an offer on Monday morning at 6:30am. Definitely threw me off as well.

It does make me feel better given how my Canadian applications went. Was rejected from Mun and Lakehead, waitlisted for Brock, Waterloo, uOttawa, then rejected by Brock and Waterloo in the last 5 days or so.. Still crossing my fingers and waiting for uOttawa ?. I only found out about this forum recently so I've been lurking and it's really nice to hear from others! :)

congrats on your acceptance!!! glad to hear you've got some good news after some not so great news :)

do you mind sharing your stats?

23 hours ago, pklrik said:

wtf... they literally told me they can't even open my application to review it before im officially conferred in June. (even though they have all of my grades and letters saying that I will be graduating in legit 3 weeks)

i finally have some good news to share here ! i got off the waitlist at McGill !!!!! I had given up all hopes and was so discouraged 

However, could someone please help me differentiate between a non-thesis and thesis masters. besides the research experience vs practice, is it possible to do a non-thesis master, practice for a while and go back for a phd ? or is a thesis required 

Edited by Rachelle99

1 hour ago, Rachelle99 said:

i finally have some good news to share here ! i got off the waitlist at McGill !!!!! I had given up all hopes and was so discouraged 

However, could someone please help me differentiate between a non-thesis and thesis masters. besides the research experience vs practice, is it possible to do a non-thesis master, practice for a while and go back for a phd ? or is a thesis required 

A thesis is preferred in your masters for a PhD but I don't know how heavily it's weighed!

1 hour ago, Rachelle99 said:

Congrats!!! What stats and experiences did you apply with btw?

2 hours ago, Rachelle99 said:

If you are intending to do a PhD in the future, even if you don't end up actually doing it, go with a thesis based Masters program. Then you can work and decide if you want or need to get a further degree.

PhDs aren't necessarily required for a lot of the applied, boots on the ground type of public health work, but if you want to be doing research or in a clinical setting it would be better. Most people I have talked to have also said the difference in pay between an undergrad degree and a masters is much more significant than a masters to a PhD, if thats something that motivates you. 

10 hours ago, Candycane said:

Congrats!!! What stats and experiences did you apply with btw?

thank you !! I did two health science related Bsc at mcgill and had a 3.75 cgpa in my last one ( graduated this December) .

Ive also done two research projects with them over 2 years and worked in research and data analysis abroad for two years between my degrees 

Ive also been volunteering at the local hospital for a few years and for a local organization helping the elderly living in isolation 

Looking at other applicants stats, i strongly believe that  my references have helped me tremendously ( both were from mcgill, knew me pretty well, and were very relevant to the program)

Edited by Rachelle99

9 hours ago, puglife said:

If you are intending to do a PhD in the future, even if you don't end up actually doing it, go with a thesis based Masters program. Then you can work and decide if you want or need to get a further degree.

PhDs aren't necessarily required for a lot of the applied, boots on the ground type of public health work, but if you want to be doing research or in a clinical setting it would be better. Most people I have talked to have also said the difference in pay between an undergrad degree and a masters is much more significant than a masters to a PhD, if thats something that motivates you. 

Thank you ! This is exactly what i wanted to know 

i got in at McGill for a non-thesis program and at Udem for a thesis program. I have until june 14th to make a decision with McGill 

35 minutes ago, Rachelle99 said:

Thank you ! This is exactly what i wanted to know 

i got in at McGill for a non-thesis program and at Udem for a thesis program. I have until june 14th to make a decision with McGill 

If you aren’t a working professional on a tight timeline, I’d take the time to do a thesis! Only saying this because of the people I know who did a thesis, they all seemed to run into obstacles that delayed the process a bit (lab access, slow ethics approval, etc.). I’m coming in to my program as a working professional who will be working full time while studying, and want to work in a more applied setting so I picked course based.

Better to leave a door open than totally shut. Especially if you think you might want to go with more education or focus on research/clinical studies for a career! Good luck with your decision!

2 minutes ago, puglife said:

If you aren’t a working professional on a tight timeline, I’d take the time to do a thesis! Only saying this because of the people I know who did a thesis, they all seemed to run into obstacles that delayed the process a bit (lab access, slow ethics approval, etc.). I’m coming in to my program as a working professional who will be working full time while studying, and want to work in a more applied setting so I picked course based.

Better to leave a door open than totally shut. Especially if you think you might want to go with more education or focus on research/clinical studies for a career! Good luck with your decision!

Thank you so much, you’ve covered most my concerns in your reply 

On 5/28/2021 at 1:54 PM, jamie2547 said:

congrats on your acceptance!!! glad to hear you've got some good news after some not so great news :)

do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks!! Yes, those good news were well received :)

So I'm not too sure if this is what you're looking for, but I finished my Honours BSc in Biochemistry with a GPA of 3.33ish /4 (my last two years cumulative was A-).  Other than the mandatory Introduction to biostats class, I didn't take other courses in epi or stats. In terms of experience, I have over 3 years and counting work experience at a major provincial public health program.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:12 PM, LindaZhou said:

Congrats!!! What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Thank you :) My overall gpa is 3.64, last two years is 3.85. Currently helping in a quality improvement cohort study for a medical/legal clinic, and have some local and global public health experience. Have been volunteering with global brigades since 2018, in which I've had various leadership positions. I graduated last year and I've been getting some work/volunteer experience like teaching/tutoring and having a greater involvement with the clinic which is non paid. 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, QuePasa said:

Did your letter look something like this? 1964141526_londonoffer.thumb.jpg.3c76d3963be867a19b7f770417676673.jpg

On 5/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, PlzJustRejectMeAlready said:

How did you get a reply so quickly?! I applied ages ago and am still waiting ..wowza :(

It definetly is super weird that they got back so quickly, send them an email! They usually reply quickly here distance@lshtm.ac.uk