MPH 2021 Canada

21 minutes ago, wxr said:

Thanks for pointing that out! Just did a quick count.. this is the fifth week? ?

Yes it is! UofT Epi second round came out on Friday night (of the fifth week) with rejections out the same day but in the morning! So maybe health promo peeps will hear back this week!

Edited by Natasha7

1 hour ago, Dips said:

Goodluck with your future plans! Just wondering when the deadline is for you to reject/accept your Health promo offer? 

1 hour ago, Natasha7 said:

Their deadline to accept/reject was the week of April 19, however med school acceptances went out May 11 (yesterday)!

Yup I currently have UofT health promo accepted from the first round. Hope it starts to trigger some waitlist movement!

58 minutes ago, mxnz1 said:

Yup I currently have UofT health promo accepted from the first round. Hope it starts to trigger some waitlist movement!

Congrats on your med school acceptance btw!!! Which school are you going to if you don’t mind sharing ?

1 hour ago, Natasha7 said:

Congrats on your med school acceptance btw!!! Which school are you going to if you don’t mind sharing ?

2 hours ago, mxnz1 said:

Yeah I agree, retracting acceptances will help create movement on the waitlist either way! All the best to you in med school!

Hi everyone! For anyone accepted to uOttawa MPH program, feel free to message me with any questions you may have! I am currently doing my practicum for the MPH program at uOttawa (finished my first 2 terms) and would love to help anyone with any questions they may have with the program :)

1 hour ago, minmbo said:

i'm worried about being under prepared for grad school, is there anything you guys are doing to prep this summer before the fall? 

I've been reviewing stats as well as teaching myself some statistical coding (R). Not sure if its necessary, but it is getting me even more excited for grad school! 

Edited by Confusedfrog

Just now, Confusedfrog said:

I've been reviewing stats as well as teaching myself some statistical coding (R). Not sure if its necessary, but it is getting me even more excited for graded school! 

Same, I've been teaching myself R and SAS.

1 hour ago, minmbo said:

i'm worried about being under prepared for grad school, is there anything you guys are doing to prep this summer before the fall? 

Sharing the same concerns here. But from what I've heard from other grad students, they advised me to enjoy the summer since grad school is pretty busy and you might not have time for yourself (again depends on YOU as a person). So if you feel under prepared, just casually look up at course outlines, do some light reading to familiarize yourself, reach out to senior year students and maybe profs or advising committees. Anyhow, its pretty much like undergrad but one level higher in terms of difficulty. So no need to worry too much. If you made it through undergrad, you'll be fine if you keep up with your work and work smart. And yeah ALWAYS reach out to your supervisors/profs ASAP if you get stuck or feel overwhelmed, I suffered in undergrad because I was too hesitant in opening up about my struggles and my grades suffered. It was only after talking about my problems to counsellors and a close friend, was I able to lighten the mental burden and see a shift in my grades and overall wellbeing. So all the best and feel free to DM me if you need to talk at any point.

8 minutes ago, BEN29 said:

Sharing the same concerns here. But from what I've heard from other grad students, they advised me to enjoy the summer since grad school is pretty busy and you might not have time for yourself (again depends on YOU as a person). So if you feel under prepared, just casually look up at course outlines, do some light reading to familiarize yourself, reach out to senior year students and maybe profs or advising committees. Anyhow, its pretty much like undergrad but one level higher in terms of difficulty. So no need to worry too much. If you made it through undergrad, you'll be fine if you keep up with your work and work smart. And yeah ALWAYS reach out to your supervisors/profs ASAP if you get stuck or feel overwhelmed, I suffered in undergrad because I was too hesitant in opening up about my struggles and my grades suffered. It was only after talking about my problems to counsellors and a close friend, was I able to lighten the mental burden and see a shift in my grades and overall wellbeing. So all the best and feel free to DM me if you need to talk at any point.

Yes, I heard from so many people to just enjoy this time! My undergrad experience was relatively smooth and i think im building this up to be a lot in my head. Its difficult to deal with imposter syndrome and doubts however as I do not come from a public health background and have limited knowledge on R/SAS. I think your right that reaching out to my supervisors, doing some self-learning and trying out some course readings are the way to go. Tysm for this reply!! 

2 hours ago, Natasha7 said:

So sorry to hear!!! What time were you notified?

Noonish Vancouver time. I’m disappointed but was expecting it, and really I’m just relieved not to live with the suspense any longer lol, it’s exhausting! I’ll likely be going to Western and I’m excited for that!