MPH 2021 Canada

2 hours ago, Excel725 said:

You're so closeee! You got this!!! Fingers crossed! What stats and experiences did you apply with btw? 

Thank you!!!? My last two years GPA is 3.9-4.0 (84%) and I have two major positions in a public health related field. One was being a wellness program assistant for individuals with mental health disorders and homelessness- this was a placement from my university. The other was being a health and safety officer in a dental clinic (paid, full-time). I also have research experience with a professor in a topic related to mental health. And I did some volunteering (health promotion with heart and stroke, clinic volunteer in a physio place).

1 minute ago, mphapplicant2021 said:

I just got waitlisted for the SFU MPH program but I have already accepted the UBC MPH. Got my SFU email this morning.

Which number were you on the waitlist? I'm number 4 so just wondering if this means that they will push me to a spot higher. Thanks in advance!

51 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Are you applying to the epidemiology stream? What stats and experiences are you applying with if you don't mind sharing!

Yes epi stream!

- 3.2 cGPA / 4.0 last year

- professional boxer, hospital/clinical volunteering, some university clubs, created an app that locates people carrying a Nalaxone kit to areas with high overdose rates, couple missions in Ghana!

I hope they don’t look at my cGPA lmao, first year was rough

We should get an update in a month

Edited by BoxingAndMPH

1 minute ago, anotherlurker said:

I also just received a rejection letter from UBC. As I only applied to two schools, I'll be accepting my offer to SFU today.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Sorry to hear about your rejection, but congrats on your other acceptance!!! What stats and experiences did you apply with if you don't mind sharing :)

8 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Sorry to hear!!! Don't worry! Did you apply to other schools as well? 

1 minute ago, bg3 said:

Sorry to hear that ://

Thank you guys. Yes, I also applied to UofA and UofT -- I have thankfully already received an offer of admission from UofA, so that's a bit of a relief!

1 hour ago, Excel725 said:

Sorry to hear about your rejection, but congrats on your other acceptance!!! What stats and experiences did you apply with if you don't mind sharing :)

Thanks!! I'm a non-traditional applicant, I completed a Bachelor's in Environmental Studies (majoring in Urban Planning) at UW in 2019. I also graduated with a Diploma in GIS as well as a specialization in Urban Design. I did the co-op program there, so my academic record is a bit scattered, but my last 60-credits/all 300-400 level courses avg was roughly 85% (3.9/4.33 GPA?).

My work experience is varied and mostly in policy. I currently work in municipal government as an urban planner (~1.5 years) in BC, focusing on housing, land use planning, and long range planning. Before that, in co-op I had some research experience in the provincial government on the topic of road safety (cumulatively ~1 year). Other than that, I spent one semester each as a map designer at a private company and a communications assistant at UW; part-time, I was a TA for an urban design undergrad course for one semester. I also volunteered with the LGBTQ+ services centre at UW for about three years, on and off between co-op semesters.

My references were 2 supervisors in my current job, and 1 supervisor from my research position in the provincial government. This is my second time applying to MPH programs (I first applied in 2019). Although my references are all professional, they were very strong, which I find is more important than having lukewarm academic ones. I spent a lot of time on my LOI (2 months) and had it reviewed by multiple MPH alumni.

I didn't really have much public health experience, but I am very interested in epidemiology. I found in my work that there is an interdisciplinary space between geography, planning, and public health that I am passionate in exploring - particularly through social epi.

I hope this helps! Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting.

Edited by anotherlurker

i’m really sorry to hear about the rejections everyone ? i’m sure you’re all wonderful and worthy applicants and i really believe that whatever school you receive admission to and accept (either in this cycle or possibly in the future) will be an amazing fit for you and help you to do amazing things in the sphere of public health ❤️

Hi All,

I was accepted in UBC and SFU for my MPH and I am having a hard time deciding between the two programs as they are quite different! UBC is hard to decide on as they are still waiting for approval on their approved changes! 

I attended UBC in kelowna for my undergrad and really enjoyed it so I am leaning to UBC but I am also considering SFU!

What are everyones thoughts on the two, is there one that carries a stronger program or reputation for their MPH? Anyone else in the same boat?

On 3/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, lmarph said:

Congrats on McGill! That's so exciting. Yeah I'm holding out hope that I'll hear from U of T by April 15th. I'm debating between Columbia, UNC and BU. I'm leaning heavily towards Columbia at this point.

Honestly Columbia was my top pick until I got my financial aid package two days ago (only loans)...not really excited about the prospect of being forever in debt. I just hope they hear my appeal!

On 3/17/2021 at 9:10 PM, IFKINA said:

Hi there! I'm considering JHU MSPH in nutrition while I wait for Canadian schools as well :) 

Ahh! I am considering JHU MSPH in Health Communications. I really like their MTS so it's a tempting offer but not sure I want to live in Baltimore for two years. I love NYC, Boston, and Montreal...all very diff vibes.