MPH 2021 Canada

1 minute ago, EXRNtoMPH said:

I’ve been a silent lurker for the last couple of months. For anyone that has applied to uwaterloo, I just spoke with Michelle (MPH coordinator) and she said they have just sent some rejections and admissions and will continue to send in rounds. She said that the program has 40 spots and they will not be making anymore space. The waiting game should end before the month of April. OMG. I cannot wait that long. 

She told me last week that they might be making more spots, she also told me that all rejections had already been made and that everyone else was on an unofficial wait list...guess they switched some things up....I'm so impatient 

58 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

She told me last week that they might be making more spots, she also told me that all rejections had already been made and that everyone else was on an unofficial wait list...guess they switched some things up....I'm so impatient 

Yea she said that they made some more spaces for last years cohort and it didn’t work, so they will not be doing that this year. They basically got 600 applicants this year. They keep telling different people different things. Me too, I am so anxious. Hoping for the best though. 

3 minutes ago, EXRNtoMPH said:

Still waiting to hear back. I am in agony. 

I just don't understand why it is so hard to give everyone one same answer instead of different answers to confuse everyone. I am very frustrated at their approach and extremely tired. If schools like Western, McGill, SFU, Queens, Mcmaster can do well. (time-wise).. what is waterloo not doing right? 

I just got a rejection email from UBC. But here's the thing: months ago I was accepted. I got an informal email from the program director, then I got an official PDF letter from the school accepting me into the program.

I even had a zoom call with the program director to discuss the program and me coming to UBC. I've sent my transcripts in the mail. Everything was squared away.

Then today I receive this mass-email, not personalized, penned to all the applicants, saying I was rejected. Please tell me others got this? And this is a huge mistake? I'm freaking out. I emailed them back but it's a holiday.

42 minutes ago, minniexo_ said:

You can call either Michelle 519-888-4567, ext. 47734 or Samantha Meyer  519-888-4567, ext. 49187. I'd go for Michelle. Please update us. 

Thank you. I called Michelle and it took 3 tries to get a hold of her, which was somewhat frustrating. She seemed agitated when she was explaining to me that they have been contacted regarding the long wait a lot. She didn't provide much information either. She stated that there were more applications than what they were expecting, but they have gone through all of them and will be sending them this month out using rolling admissions. However, she also said a lot of those who got invites have not responded to the offer and we just need to be patient, but she was understanding of the frustration. I asked about my file in particular and she told me if it was any other year, I would be offered a spot first round but they will not be creating more spots this year and to keep an eye on my Quest account. I'm tired of waiting and will most likely accept my Guelph offer, which is disappointing considering Waterloo was my first choice. 

1 minute ago, oxla said:

Thank you. I called Michelle and it took 3 tries to get a hold of her, which was somewhat frustrating. She seemed agitated when she was explaining to me that they have been contacted regarding the long wait a lot. She didn't provide much information either. She stated that there were more applications than what they were expecting, but they have gone through all of them and will be sending them this month out using rolling admissions. However, she also said a lot of those who got invites have not responded to the offer and we just need to be patient, but she was understanding of the frustration. I asked about my file in particular and she told me if it was any other year, I would be offered a spot first round but they will not be creating more spots this year and to keep an eye on my Quest account. I'm tired of waiting and will most likely accept my Guelph offer, which is disappointing considering Waterloo was my first choice. 

Thanks for the update! what I want to know is what the deadline is for the first round. she said people havent responded to the offer - when's the deadline for them to respond? 

Just now, GingerDwight said:

Thanks for the update! what I want to know is what the deadline is for the first round. she said people havent responded to the offer - when's the deadline for them to respond? 

She didn't say a specific date, but she did say that everyone should be responding within a few weeks, so they're hoping to get admissions done by the end of the month.

2 minutes ago, oxla said:

She didn't say a specific date, but she did say that everyone should be responding within a few weeks, so they're hoping to get admissions done by the end of the month.

Grrr....she told me "within the next couple weeks" like a month ago

Just now, GingerDwight said:

Grrr....she told me "within the next couple weeks" like a month ago

It's so frustrating how they tell everyone different answers. Whenever I try to call them, it's next to impossible to get someone to pick up and when they do, the information is unreliable

1 minute ago, GingerDwight said:

Someone on reddit said they're offer deadline is may

1 minute ago, oxla said:

It's so frustrating how they tell everyone different answers. Whenever I try to call them, it's next to impossible to get someone to pick up and when they do, the information is unreliable

I think that this is a really hard time for a lot of us. This is the "middle" period where we weren't in the first round but weren't rejected. I know that people are waiting for as much information as possible but some people are seriously putting off decisions and it affects so many other people. I don't think its wrong to wait...its just frustrating y'know? 

3 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

I think that this is a really hard time for a lot of us. This is the "middle" period where we weren't in the first round but weren't rejected. I know that people are waiting for as much information as possible but some people are seriously putting off decisions and it affects so many other people. I don't think its wrong to wait...its just frustrating y'know? 

I agree and honestly I have to think so much about financials and etc to prep for September too. 

On 4/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, SunnyMPH said:

So none of your friends were able to get any jobs at all afterwards? Not even in the places where they did their practicums? Also how many friends are these that did the MPH?

Is your friend working in the MPH field now? If so, is the job atmosphere and pay enough to justify the expense? 

They had internship in uni only...but were not given further employment and practicum was unpaid...I would say keep this as your last option...Yes as somebody mentioned you meet wide range of people for networking but that also depend on you like how active your are etc etc actual course is just 8 months super short compressed and 4 months practicum(Unpaid) so you can imagine Rome was not built in a day but they say they can??.......overall not worth spending so much on this......instead go for clinical research it will give you almost same job as this would get you after spending 40k dollars....choices are always yours..best of luck.

1 minute ago, minniexo_ said:

I agree and honestly I have to think so much about financials and etc to prep for September too. 

Yeah, I agree as well. It’s hard to figure everything out when everything with Waterloo is so uncertain, especially since in my opinion, it is one of the most affordable programs.