Fall 2021 Social & Personality PhD

aurorma

On 1/21/2021 at 9:27 AM, GREBlaster9000 said:

Sharing a few updates from social psych programs:

Rejected from Michigan this past Saturday. congrats / best of luck to those advancing in their interview process!

Was told USC's open-house dates will be Feb 4 + Feb 5. I have not received official communication from USC's psych department, but did have a brief get-to-know-you Zoom with the professors who'd be my advisors last Friday. Not sure when official invites to interview days will come.

Cornell sent out an email that they're still deliberating.

Any updates on Princeton / Brown? Someone in GradCafe's results database posted that Princeton interviews went out pre-New Years but there's only the one post so not sure if that's reliable info. Same for Brown, though with four people reporting interviews, I'm more inclined to believe that their interviews have actually already happened.

I emailed Princeton earlier January and they said all invites had been sent. Safe to say if you heard nothing it's a no offer.

13 hours ago, SocialPsychologyuuuuu said:

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if invites have been sent out for these following schools: Brown, Harvard, University of Chicago, CU Boulder, and NYU

Thank you in advance! and good luck everyone!

Hi I applied to NYU and University of Chicago (developmental) and heard nothing. 

16 hours ago, SocialPsychologyuuuuu said:

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if invites have been sent out for these following schools: Brown, Harvard, University of Chicago, CU Boulder, and NYU

Thank you in advance! and good luck everyone!

I also applied to CU Boulder and I haven’t heard anything. Their website does say that they review applications all throughout January so I’m thinking we won’t get any finalized information until February

11 hours ago, fingers_crossed54 said:

Hi Anyone heard from Cornell or Columbia? 

I haven't heard anything from Columbia. I saw that a couple people commented about interviews and being accepted. I emailed the department on Thursday and they said "Our faculty have gone through all the applications, and will be contacting the individuals they would like to interview in the coming days." I am assuming people have mostly been contacted by now :(

On 1/24/2021 at 10:14 AM, gradapp2021 said:

I haven't heard anything from Columbia. I saw that a couple people commented about interviews and being accepted. I emailed the department on Thursday and they said "Our faculty have gone through all the applications, and will be contacting the individuals they would like to interview in the coming days." I am assuming people have mostly been contacted by now :(

I think the acceptances are just trolls. I actually haven't seen any interview invites, so hoping they just wanted to wait for after the weekend...

1 hour ago, Monkeybug said:

Anyone has updates from UCSB, University of Washington, NYU, and Tufts? I knew I might ask about it before...but waiting is so suffering and I'm so worried that I missed some information.  

I haven't heard anything from UCSB either! 

On 1/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, Stumbling_My_Way_Through said:

APA put out this graduate study report in 2018. If you look at the table, across all subfields, social psychology has the lowest rate of acceptances. I think remembering that we are in a competitive subfield in a year with an unprecedented # of applications is important to think about in case we feel the sting of rejection becoming personal.

This is completely true. It's the worst year I've ever seen, in decades of doing admissions at various schools. It's bad. Sorry.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:14 AM, gradapp2021 said:

I saw that too but i think they are just trolls. This wait is just agonizing ?

3 minutes ago, SocialPsychologyuuuuu said:

The grad coordinator emailed me yesterday that interview invites will be happening until the end of this week, but i just saw a person that posted all invites have been sent ?

so weird that no one mentioned getting interview invites

Just now, Monkeybug said:

yes.. same thing with UCLA. It makes me even more anxious. What if that's the case for every program? like invites are secretly sent out but no one posts and no one knows. 

Yes.. so quiet this year.. I wonder how many people they actually invite to interviews  given that they are admitting less students... 

1 minute ago, Monkeybug said:

yes.. same thing with UCLA. It makes me even more anxious. What if that's the case for every program? like invites are secretly sent out but no one posts and no one knows. 

exactly how I feel - UCLA and Columbia are my top choices - should I cross them off the list? Should I try to reach out to the program myself? To my POI? (I had a call with my POI prior to applications being due so I thought I had a decent chance?) Did POIs who were previously taking students become unable to? Who knows ?

1 minute ago, psyched4socialpsych said:

exactly how I feel - UCLA and Columbia are my top choices - should I cross them off the list? Should I try to reach out to the program myself? To my POI? (I had a call with my POI prior to applications being due so I thought I had a decent chance?) Did POIs who were previously taking students become unable to? Who knows ?

same here! I emailed my POI before I applied and the response was really positive, so I thought at least I could make it to interview. It's so weird that no one posts about it, especially for big public universities like UCLA and Columbia.