Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results

Bioenglover

12 hours ago, biomedhopeful said:

Hi, yes, I ended up hearing back from them on Monday about an invitation to their interview weekend (Feb 18-19).

Did all invitations go out ? Should we assume we are rejected then ? 

Hey there!

Anyone who got an interview for Penn BioE, was this a preliminary interview? Did they say when they were going to send formal invites for interviews/recruitment weekend? I used to work at Penn so I'm not sure if I should be having a preliminary interview or not, but there's a couple students in my position that have not heard anything from the program either. 

2 hours ago, pompompurin said:

Hey there!

Anyone who got an interview for Penn BioE, was this a preliminary interview? Did they say when they were going to send formal invites for interviews/recruitment weekend? I used to work at Penn so I'm not sure if I should be having a preliminary interview or not, but there's a couple students in my position that have not heard anything from the program either. 

Hi! I think right now they're doing preliminary interviews! I had one this week and from what it sounds like, after the preliminary interview, they'll be sending official invites for the recruitment weekend (the PI I spoke too sounded like they thought I'd been invited to the official weekend already). These preliminary interviews seemed to be scheduled by the PI alone so if you haven't gotten a prelim interview yet, it's not like a definite no (my PI interviewer gave me like 24 hours notice before they wanted to meet)

50 minutes ago, bobdogs20 said:

Two Quick Questions:

Has anyone heard from Stanford BE? 

Also for what exactly are interview weekends? Is it a social or should I prepare for it like a technical interview? Thanks!

Hello! I heard back from Stanford BE about interviews last week, and they are happening this week (1/28-2/1).

Please take this with a grain of salt because I've only had a few interviews so far, but I would say that the interviews aren't usually very technical? They shouldn't be quizzing you about material from your classes or anything, but your research is fair game. I would definitely review your previous research projects (motivations, background, results) and be prepared to answer questions about them. I found it helpful to review previous lab presentations/writeups and make a sort of story diagram for yourself, since you may have to explain your project to someone who is unfamiliar with your subfield. It also helps to have a clear answer on your future goals, and what you want to get out of graduate school. I haven't attended any interview weekends that include a more social component yet, but I think those are pretty common.

Edited by biomedhopeful
typo (changed "hear" to "heard")

4 hours ago, pompompurin said:

Hey there!

Just got an official virtual visit invite this evening! 

For those who have heard something back, when did you apply? 
I applied to 7 different programs and pretty much on the last days of deadline. Only heard from Columbia, reserve the day for the interview and symposium, nothing from other schools. 
programs applied to:

Columbia, Cornell, Duke, GA Tech, UNC/NC State, UVA, WF/VTech

19 minutes ago, TarHeel2012 said:

I applied to 7 different programs and pretty much on the last days of deadline. Only heard from Columbia, reserve the day for the interview and symposium, nothing from other schools. 
programs applied to:

I also applied to WF/VT and Duke and haven't heard anything from either

57 minutes ago, TarHeel2012 said:

programs applied to:

I also applied to Cornell (submitted my app on Dec 1st) but still haven't heard back.

2 hours ago, biomedhopeful said:

Hello! I heard back from Stanford BE about interviews last week, and they are happening this week (1/28-2/1).

Please take this with a grain of salt because I've only had a few interviews so far, but I would say that the interviews aren't usually very technical? They shouldn't be quizzing you about material from your classes or anything, but your research is fair game. I would definitely review your previous research projects (motivations, background, results) and be prepared to answer questions about them. I found it helpful to review previous lab presentations/writeups and make a sort of story diagram for yourself, since you may have to explain your project to someone who is unfamiliar with your subfield. It also helps to have a clear answer on your future goals, and what you want to get out of graduate school. I haven't attended any interview weekends that include a more social component yet, but I think those are pretty common.

Thanks a lot for the thorough response! 

1 hour ago, zoees said:

I also applied to WF/VT and Duke and haven't heard anything from either

I interviewed with a Duke PI on Tuesday. The group said they are very early in their application process and Definitely will be interviewing more people. But since Duke is a direct join program, the slots for interviews will be dependent on the PI. 

14 minutes ago, bobdogs20 said:

I interviewed with a Duke PI on Tuesday. The group said they are very early in their application process and Definitely will be interviewing more people. But since Duke is a direct join program, the slots for interviews will be dependent on the PI. 

That’s good, congrats! Yes, Duke’s admission process is way different from others, and yes, it is driven by the PI. If everything went well with the interview, I would expect an offer from them.

would you mind sharing the name of the PI?

1 hour ago, TarHeel2012 said:

That’s good, congrats! Yes, Duke’s admission process is way different from others, and yes, it is driven by the PI. If everything went well with the interview, I would expect an offer from them.

would you mind sharing the name of the PI?

Sorry, I am still skeptical to release specific information this early in the cycle. However I can tell you that I am interested in biomedical imaging. 

I had an informal interviewed with a PI at Carnegie Mellon University early in January and I felt that it went pretty smoothly. Anyone else apply there or know if I should be anticipating any other interview days or events? The wait is really making me anxious. 

On 1/29/2021 at 7:54 PM, TarHeel2012 said:

programs applied to:

I also applied on the last day of the deadline for every place I applied to haha. For all of my applications there was at least one recommender who sent stuff in late too. I applied to UVA, WF/VT, Penn St, U of Delaware, Clemson, and Duke. 

I've heard back from WF/VT and Penn St. and invited to both virtual recruitment days. 

1 hour ago, arobinson1331 said:

I also applied on the last day of the deadline for every place I applied to haha. For all of my applications there was at least one recommender who sent stuff in late too. I applied to UVA, WF/VT, Penn St, U of Delaware, Clemson, and Duke. 

I've heard back from WF/VT and Penn St. and invited to both virtual recruitment days. 

That’s nice! For WF/VT, are you talking about recruitment even they had in January? I did attend that as well, but I thought that was generic for everyone who applied. 

48 minutes ago, TarHeel2012 said:

That’s nice! For WF/VT, are you talking about recruitment even they had in January? I did attend that as well, but I thought that was generic for everyone who applied. 

I got an email invite on Jan 22 to Wake's Feb Recruitment event and then an email a few days later about VT's. I've been communicating with them a bit about fellowship stuff and also did the REU at Wake last summer although it was virtual. 

1 hour ago, jienigui said:

Does anyone have any idea on the umich interview? I got an unofficial interview at Jan and it goes really well but didn't hear back from umich since then. 

Haha, read my post above. I'm in the same situation except at CMU. Hope we can hear some good news soon ?

On 1/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, zoees said:

I'm seeing people get interviews and official visit invites from UMich and stressing a little lol. My POI told me that I basically had to make it past the adcom and that she'd love to have me in her lab if I did that but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this ?

Have you asked Umich? Same here, I had an interview with one prof back in Jan.

5 hours ago, jienigui said:

Does anyone have any idea on the umich interview? I got an unofficial interview at Jan and it goes really well but didn't hear back from umich since then. 

same...I don't know whether that one is official or not. seems pretty official to me.