Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results

Bioenglover

Would anyone who's had a formal interview weekend already be willing to share a bit about the experience? I haven't had any yet, but I'm getting nervous about how I'm going to be able to pick a program based on virtual events. Is there still a good way to socialize with current grad students and get a feel for the vibes? Advice appreciated!! 

Dude, I got the notification in the middle of my UCSD group interview. It took all my power to keep a straight face. I have two more interview visits left and I'm either waitlisted at my remaining schools or they already sent interview invites. I'm 90% sure I'm going to Yale, but I'll be attending the other visits because it's too late to rescind, I want free merch, and I want to learn as much about the schools before making a decision. I hope Yale has a recruitment event so I can learn more (and get free merch), but I'd be ok if there wasn't one. 

11 minutes ago, Maaa said:

Dude, me too! Will you be going? Are there any other schools you're waiting for?

Whoops, quote-posted wrong. Please see above post lol
Edited by gummybears
whoops

11 hours ago, berat said:

Would anyone who's had a formal interview weekend already be willing to share a bit about the experience? I haven't had any yet, but I'm getting nervous about how I'm going to be able to pick a program based on virtual events. Is there still a good way to socialize with current grad students and get a feel for the vibes? Advice appreciated!! 

Hi! I’ve had a couple now and can say that typically, it’ll depend on the program, but all the ones I’ve been to have built in specific time to talk to graduate students and socialize! All of mine have been on the Gather.town platform which is kinda cool (although every time you have a crowd that’s confused at what is going on, which is very fair since the platform is very new). Overall, it does feel a bit too curated and sometimes feels like you’re not really getting a great feel for the place because you’re not physically there, but this can be easily be offset by just asking as many questions as possible (literally any that pop into your head, as long as they’re appropriate of course)

On 2/11/2021 at 9:43 AM, Maaa said:

Does anyone know if JHU BME is planning on a second round of formal interviews or is this their final pool of candidates?

The interview professor told me that this year there are nearly 200 interviewees and they are interviewing them now. So I guess they already send out all interviews. 

17 hours ago, Hisky said:

The interview professor told me that this year there are nearly 200 interviewees and they are interviewing them now. So I guess they already send out all interviews. 

Anyone secure an offer from a faculty yet from JHU? From my interviews theyve said rotational spots are very competitive due to department funding. So the best chance is to get admitted as a direct join through a faculty offer from these interviews. 

3 minutes ago, bobdogs20 said:

Anyone secure an offer from a faculty yet from JHU? From my interviews theyve said rotational spots are very competitive due to department funding. So the best chance is to get admitted as a direct join through a faculty offer from these interviews. 

I forgot to quote. Not yet. That’s what I heard too. I’m international. The professor said that international student usually direct admits to one professor’s lab without rotation. Of course there are exceptions. 

5 minutes ago, Hisky said:

I forgot to quote. Not yet. That’s what I heard too. I’m international. The professor said that international student usually direct admits to one professor’s lab without rotation. Of course there are exceptions. 

Forsure. Good luck. I’m planning to try and do follow up meeting to secure a direct. Prof I spoke with on Thursday said they are starting to admit in the next week or so. 

7 hours ago, Hisky said:

Not yet. That’s what I heard too. I’m international. The professor said that international student usually direct admits to one professor’s lab without rotation. Of course there are exceptions. 

Does offer generally come first or not before deciding upon whether to do rotation or direct admit? Or will this fact affect whether you're admitted or not? BTW, anyone has attended coffee hour panel?

Edited by offercome

12 minutes ago, offercome said:

Does offer generally come first or not before deciding upon whether to do rotation or direct admit? Or will this fact affect whether you're admitted or not? BTW, anyone has attended coffee hour panel?

I think the offer comes with either a rotation or from a specific lab. So it probably will affect the admission directly

1 minute ago, Hisky said:

I think the offer comes with either a rotation or from a specific lab. So it probably will affect the admission directly

I don't know how you feel like the interview, but for me, the interviewing profs are more like to evaluate me instead of trying to evaluate whether I'm fit for their lab research? The profs that interviewed me are my top 3 of the form I filled out, and also my top 3 POIs in the application.

1 minute ago, offercome said:

I don't know how you feel like the interview, but for me, the interviewing profs are more like to evaluate me instead of trying to evaluate whether I'm fit for their lab research? The profs that interviewed me are my top 3 of the form I filled out, and also my top 3 POIs in the application.

I also had mostly the POI interviews. Two of them are generally evaluating me and the other one told me that the offer, if there will be, is probably gonna come directly from a lab without rotation. She is judging me more for the fit of her lab I think. 

Hi everyone, I would like to ask:

1. Did anyone receive a PhD offer from CMU BME yet? How was the interview?

2. I directly received an email from a JHU faculty mentioned want to give me an interview, but later, this faculty said he couldn't do that due to the JHU BME department has to outrank theirs over 700 applicants this year. But from what I read on this topic, people already received interviews from JHU BME,(if there is anyone who got an offer, please comment, thank you), so what should l do? Keep waiting or send an email to that faculty ask for a short meeting to talk about my application? 

Thank you.✌️?

3 hours ago, Czcz said:

2. I directly received an email from a JHU faculty mentioned want to give me an interview, but later, this faculty said he couldn't do that due to the JHU BME department has to outrank theirs over 700 applicants this year. But from what I read on this topic, people already received interviews from JHU BME,(if there is anyone who got an offer, please comment, thank you), so what should l do? Keep waiting or send an email to that faculty ask for a short meeting to talk about my application? 

Thank you.✌️?

I'm not sure what you mean about JHU, but the committee has already sent out official interview invites. If you did not receive this invite, it means you did not pass departmental screening. Even if they wish to fund someone directly from the 1st year, PIs cannot take someone in if the applicant did not pass screening. Don't be discouraged if this is you, because apparently the department is not funding a lot of students this year. I think all BME programs across the country are short on funding this year for some reason (especially those in California), while the number of applicants has significantly increased due to Covid causing employment issues on a global scale.

I don't know of anything on CMU BME, but I wish you the best of luck. For those who have gotten into at least one PhD program this year, congratulations. You should feel happy and excited about your acceptances instead of dwelling on your rejections. I really think we need to be a glass-is-half-full type of person about grad school admissions.

Despite this year's competitive admission cycle, I still believe that rejections are simply redirections. Who we meet along the way and the lessons we learn are much more important than the program itself, imo. Let's make the best out of what we are offered.

With that said, I think a lot of schools have yet to send out their decisions. Here's to getting admitted to a program where we meet genuine and talented ppl.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:39 AM, gummybears said:

Dude, I got the notification in the middle of my UCSD group interview. It took all my power to keep a straight face. I have two more interview visits left and I'm either waitlisted at my remaining schools or they already sent interview invites. I'm 90% sure I'm going to Yale, but I'll be attending the other visits because it's too late to rescind, I want free merch, and I want to learn as much about the schools before making a decision. I hope Yale has a recruitment event so I can learn more (and get free merch), but I'd be ok if there wasn't one. 

See you at the recruitment event :)

6 hours ago, Czcz said:

Thank you.✌️?

Regarding 1, I had an interview with a POI at CMU BME and thought it went quite well. I had an offer from another university and emailed the POI about my status and he replied, saying that he couldn't offer me a spot due to funding. So I got rejected and found out by emailing the POI. Not an acceptance, but this might indicate that they are making progress with the recruitment process.