Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results

Bioenglover

On 1/15/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bernt said:

I asked around the MIT BE department.

Interview weekend planning in the department is starting today/next week. Most interview invites have/will be sent out by the end of this week. Last year I got my invitation at 9PM on a Friday, so there still may be more sent out today/tomorrow. It's unlikely that there will be any more sent out after this week.

Thanks for the info! As far as I know, they’re still yet to send out all of the interviews. Seems like they usually interview ~40 and I’ve only seen a handful of posts.

57 minutes ago, bioEz said:

Thanks for the info! As far as I know, they’re still yet to send out all of the interviews. Seems like they usually interview ~40 and I’ve only seen a handful of posts.

Not everyone who is invited posts on GradCafe, so don't take the number of posts to be indicative of number of invites. Last year only a few people posted their interviews/acceptances, but our cohort size is ~25 with ~40 interviewed.

It is possible that some invites will be sent out later, but it's unlikely given the info I got from other people in my department and trends of past years. Other MIT BE PhD students are letting their mentees know they likely aren't getting interview invites/accepted if they haven't received an invite already. 

13 hours ago, ohboyherewegoagain said:

I did and received an interview invite yesterday (yay!) It's definitely my top choice program, but it's also hella selective so... here's hoping. I also applied to MIT's Biological Engineering program, but given insight from this forum, I feel like I am most likely rejected to that program, which I feel doesn't bode well for my chances in MEMP? Ah well, I'll try my best. 

I got an interview as well. Def my top choice. What concentration are you interested in? I’m wondering if they’ll let you know who the faculty are that interview you. 

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): R1 State

Major(s): Chemical Engineering

Minor(s): 

GPA in Major: 3.95/4.00

Overall GPA: 3.95/4.00

Demographics/Background: 

GRE Scores:

Didn’t take

LOR: 3 strong LORs; research projects with all

Research Experience: 3 years of lab experience in multiple research labs, industry research internship

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 

2 pubs in prep; multiple presentations and poster awards

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: misc uni scholarships

Fellowships/Funding: applied to NSF

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

3 industry internships

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments:

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):

Research Interests: bioE, drug delivery & therapeutics etc

Institutions/Programs:

MIT ChE & bioE (haven’t heard anything yet)

Harvard BioE (haven’t heard anything yet)

few other medium tier unis

Comments:

10 hours ago, bobdogs20 said:

I got an interview as well. Def my top choice. What concentration are you interested in? I’m wondering if they’ll let you know who the faculty are that interview you. 

I indicated Biological Engineering in my essay because it's closest to my undergrad major, but honestly I would be down for (a) any concentration that I'm qualified for and (b) will help me build the skills that I need I do what I want to do, which is broadly to leverage microfabrication techniques to study, modulate, treat neuronal and neuromuscular disorders. This is turning into my elevator pitch lol but now I'm wondering if Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering would be a better fit for me. I wish I signed up for the application assistance program lol

15 minutes ago, ohboyherewegoagain said:

I indicated Biological Engineering in my essay because it's closest to my undergrad major, but honestly I would be down for (a) any concentration that I'm qualified for and (b) will help me build the skills that I need I do what I want to do, which is broadly to leverage microfabrication techniques to study, modulate, treat neuronal and neuromuscular disorders. This is turning into my elevator pitch lol but now I'm wondering if Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering would be a better fit for me. I wish I signed up for the application assistance program lol

Hahaha I totally feel you on that. I realized that as well, As I was applying to some programs.

I really wished I would branched out to electrical engineering as a lot of the research I’m interested in is closely aligned to photonics. 

8 minutes ago, bobdogs20 said:

Hahaha I totally feel you on that. I realized that as well, As I was applying to some programs.

I really wished I would branched out to electrical engineering as a lot of the research I’m interested in is closely aligned to photonics. 

You can find the approved subjects for the concentrations here https://hst.mit.edu/sites/default/files/media/files/MEMP TQE Concentration Subjects_1.pdf to get a better feel for them! Photonics is under EE, ME, and Mat Sci :)

4 minutes ago, ohboyherewegoagain said:

You can find the approved subjects for the concentrations here https://hst.mit.edu/sites/default/files/media/files/MEMP TQE Concentration Subjects_1.pdf to get a better feel for them! Photonics is under EE, ME, and Mat Sci :)

Dope. Thank you! I’m gonna start and prepare my pitch haha. Good luck! I’ll share any information I get about the interview process.

Did anyone else get freaked out by the email from the Johns Hopkins BME program with the subject line "update on your application to the JHU BME PhD program" or just me? For anyone wondering, it basically said that they received over 700 applications this year and remaining interviews invites will be sent by faculty sometime in the next few weeks.

10 hours ago, anm01 said:

Anybody know whether Georgia Tech has finished sending invitations for interview?

I heard back yesterday but the email seemed a little customized (they listed and cc'd the professors I listed in my SOP, but maybe they're still rolling them out?). I have no idea though. 

15 minutes ago, johnvln said:

Did anyone else get freaked out by the email from the Johns Hopkins BME program with the subject line "update on your application to the JHU BME PhD program" or just me? For anyone wondering, it basically said that they received over 700 applications this year and remaining interviews invites will be sent by faculty sometime in the next few weeks.

Yes haha, though I don't think any formal interview invites have been sent out yet. I thought that email was a nice gesture from the department. 

Looks like that UC Berkeley/UCSF bioengineering rejection email just came through for a few people, judging by the new posts on the results page. ☠️

Over 680 applicants for the UC Berkeley/UCSF bioengineering program, according to the rejection email.

2 hours ago, johnvln said:

Looks like that UC Berkeley/UCSF bioengineering rejection email just came through for a few people, judging by the new posts on the results page. ☠️

Over 680 applicants for the UC Berkeley/UCSF bioengineering program, according to the rejection email.

yupppp I got mine earlier today ?

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM):  R1

Major(s): bioengineering

Minor(s): 

GPA in Major: x.xx/4.00 I don't think a school I applied for asked for this, so I haven't calculated it.

Overall GPA: 3.6/4.00

Demographics/Background: URM woman

GRE Scores: Didn't submit them because every school waived it for this cycle.

LOR: 3, I think they were strong

Research Experience: 9 months of research experience when calculated full time (40hrs/wk), spread out over ~2.5 yrs in 3 different biology/bioengineering labs labs.

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: No pubs - 1 paper submitted. 1 major presentation.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: School-specific honors/awards.

Fellowships/Funding: Applied for NSF for this cycle.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Volunteer STEM tutor.

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments:  Leadership position in 2 extracurriculars supporting minorities in STEM/higher education.

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): I did not reach out to POIs before applying - I was way too nervous. 

Research Interests: Tissue engineering

Institutions/Programs: University of Washington BioE, UCSF/UC Berkeley BE, Stanford BE, University of Michigan BME, Northwestern BME, Emory/Georgia Tech BME, University of Pennsylvania BE, and Columbia BME.

Comments: Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Nice to meet you all :) 

I've heard back about interview requests/weekend invites from each school except for Columbia. Have they sent out their invites yet? I know the date because of the mass email they sent a few weeks ago, but that's all I know.

Also, has anyone had their interviews with the University of Washington yet? Mine are soon, and I'm kind of nervous since it seems like they make decisions right after that. 

Hi everyone! I guess I will add another profile to this thread.

Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): 

• A bachelor’s degree from a top university in an South East Asian country but obviously not internationally renowned 
  • A Master’s degree by coursework from a top university in the UK (top 5 in world ranking)

Major(s): Biomedical Engineering
Minor(s): None
Undergrad GPA: 3.7/4.00 (top 5%)
Grad GPA: 67/100 (Merit ranking)

Demographics/Background: Asian/Female

GRE Scores: the places that I applied did not require GRE so I didn’t take it

LOR: 1 from my undergrad Research Supervisor, 1 from my Dissertation Supervisor and 1 from my Course Director in the UK, 1 from a US professor from an Ivy League university.

Research Experience: 3 year of part-time research at undergrad university; 3 summer internships (with scholarship) in Japan, Austria and New Zealand, 3 months of lab work and 1 industry project in the UK 

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations:

• 4 publications (2 Q1 papers - 1 first author, 2 Q2 papers - 1 first author)
  • 2 poster presentations (received best poster awards)
  • 2 oral presentations at 2 international conferences

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

UK Government Scholarship for my master’s study in the UK, an award for top 10 young engineers and scientists in my country, a few scholarships & awards at National level during my undergrad, 1st prize in an engineering contest, dean’s list, scholarship for entirety of undergrad

Fellowships/Funding:

Can't apply ?

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

1 year of working as a researcher at my undergrad university

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments:

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):

Research Interests: tissue engineering, biomaterials, hydrogel, 3D bioprinting

Institutions/Programs: BioE/BME at Harvard, Stanford, Michigan, Columbia, UPenn, Rice, UWashington, Northwestern, Tufts

Comments: I haven’t received any news from any programs that I applied so now I am quite worried if I aimed a little too high and will eventually not get into any schools. I also didn’t contact any supervisors in advance. My experience is a bit all over the map (since I did several short-term summer projects here and there) and I made it quite clear in my SoP that I want to get an industry job after I graduate so I wonder if these factors might put some professors off. I also wonder if my background as an international student would also be a disadvantage regarding the current situation of COVID.

Edited by Helios2995

On 1/24/2021 at 10:49 PM, Helios2995 said:

Comments: I haven’t received any news from any programs that I applied so now I am quite worried if I aimed a little too high and will eventually not get into any schools. I also didn’t contact any supervisors in advance. My experience is a bit all over the map (since I did several short-term summer projects here and there) and I made it quite clear in my SoP that I want to get an industry job after I graduate so I wonder if these factors might put some professors off. I also wonder if my background as an international student would also be a disadvantage regarding the current situation of COVID.

I also haven't heard from any programs, except the (I think unofficial) interview with a POI at UMich so I'm in the same boat! I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing, it seems like lots of BME programs are just starting to get around to interviewing.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, biomedhopeful said:

I've heard back about interview requests/weekend invites from each school except for Columbia. Have they sent out their invites yet? I know the date because of the mass email they sent a few weeks ago, but that's all I know.

Did you end up hearing from Columbia this week? I'm in the same boat. Received the mass email but no official invite.

22 minutes ago, adrf8 said:

Did you end up hearing from Columbia this week? I'm in the same boat. Received the mass email but no official invite.

Hi, yes, I ended up hearing back from them on Monday about an invitation to their interview weekend (Feb 18-19).