Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results

Bioenglover

51 minutes ago, bioEz said:

Anyone heard from BU? Not sure to make of the 2 acceptances and many rejections posted.

I applied and was accepted to BU last year and they sent out acceptances in waves. Acceptances were sent out every Thursday for 4ish weeks (iirc). There's also no correlation between their "fellowship" PhD offers and time at which the offer letter is sent out.

It may be different this year, but that's how it worked last year!

Not sure if this is the right place for Chemical Engineering, but I am applying to polymer engineering research programs that have biological applications. I’m starting to get nervous about not hearing back yet!!! (1/14/2022)

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): University of Minnesota (4th)

Major(s): Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.36/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.36/4.00
Demographics/Background: 

Caucasian male, 25yrs, 4 years of industry experience in adhesives and thermal interface materials

GRE Scores:
Q: 159
V: 157
W: 4.0

LOR: Marc Hillmyer and 2 industry PhDs

Research Experience: 1 year in Hillmyer Group, 2 years in industrial R&D, 2 years of industrial engineering

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations:

“Controlled synthesis of ABCA’ tetrablock terpolymers”

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Henry Fischman Scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Manufacturing Engineer - 1 year

R&D rotational program - 2 years

Product development engineer - 1 year

Research Interests:

Biomaterials - hydrogels, biomimetics, and filters

Polymer Chemistry and Rheology - 1 & 2 part Thermoplastics & thermosets, suspension rheology, formulation science

Institutions/Programs:

1. UCSB

2. UC Boulder

3. U of Delaware

4. UT Austin

5. NC State

6. UMass Amherst

7. UC Davis

8. University of Florida

Edited by Polymer Chemical Engineer

1 hour ago, Polymer Chemical Engineer said:

Not sure if this is the right place for Chemical Engineering, but I am applying to polymer engineering research programs that have biological applications. I’m starting to get nervous about not hearing back yet!!! (1/14/2022)

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): University of Minnesota (4th)

Major(s): Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.36/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.36/4.00
Demographics/Background: 

Caucasian male, 25yrs, 4 years of industry experience in adhesives and thermal interface materials

GRE Scores:
Q: 159
V: 157
W: 4.0

LOR: Marc Hillmyer and 2 industry PhDs

Research Experience: 1 year in Hillmyer Group, 2 years in industrial R&D, 2 years of industrial engineering

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations:

“Controlled synthesis of ABCA’ tetrablock terpolymers”

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Henry Fischman Scholarship

Manufacturing Engineer - 1 year

R&D rotational program - 2 years

Product development engineer - 1 year

Research Interests:

Biomaterials - hydrogels, biomimetics, and filters

Polymer Chemistry and Rheology - 1 & 2 part Thermoplastics & thermosets, suspension rheology, formulation science

Institutions/Programs:

1. UCSB

2. UC Boulder

3. U of Delaware

4. UT Austin

5. NC State

6. UMass Amherst

7. UC Davis

8. University of Florida

Just wanted to let you know there is also a Chemical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results thread in case you're looking for people who may know more about those particular programs (not that you're not welcome here! Good luck + it's still pretty early! :) )

Holy heck just got offered interview at Berkeley and I am in complete shock and like can't even process what is happening rn

I just got a prelim interview invite from Columbia and accepted to Cornell too in a span of less than 30 minutes they really decided to bomb me right now and I have a doctor's appointment so I can't even REACT

Edited by ohboyherewegoagain
OMG

4 hours ago, ohboyherewegoagain said:

Holy heck just got offered interview at Berkeley and I am in complete shock and like can't even process what is happening rn

I just got a prelim interview invite from Columbia and accepted to Cornell too in a span of less than 30 minutes they really decided to bomb me right now and I have a doctor's appointment so I can't even REACT

Is the Berkeley interview for the UCSF-UCB joint program?

I had two interviews at McGill in December. One interview at NYU and one at Carnegie Mellon so far in Jan 2021. Rejected from BU on Monday. 

A little late to this party, but after seeing the interview invites go out for Berkeley and MIT (congrats y'all!!) I decided to torture myself further by reading and joining gradcafe :))

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): (likely) unknown state school

Major(s): BME

Minor(s): math, bioinstrumentation

GPA in Major: 3.96/4.00

Overall GPA: 3.96/4.00

Demographics/Background: US applicant, female, Asian

GRE Scores: (only sent these to one school lol)

Q: 161

V: 160

W: 4.5

LOR: 

- 1 from PI whose lab I worked in fresh-soph year, took an upper-level class w/, and TA-ed for

- 1 from director/co-PI of lab I've been working in since junior year

- 1 from industry (remote) internship mentor from this summer

Research Experience: 

~2 (almost full) years in optics/tissue eng lab

~1 full year HCI/autonomous vehicle

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: no conference presentations or pubs, presented at internship virtual symposium

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: full academic scholarship, several departmental scholarships, no fellowships/grants/outside scholarships :///

Fellowships/Funding: applied to NSF GRFP, might apply to TBP or SWE ones if they're still open

- clinical engineering internship during fall of my junior year

- remote internship at ~top 5 pharma company last summer

- leadership positions in SWE (president this year) and Bioengineering Club on campus, done lots of STEM outreach with them

- undergrad TA last semester for upper-level BME class

Research Interests: drug delivery and biomaterials

Institutions/Programs: 

University of Utah, University of Minnesota, MIT, Berkeley-UCSF, UW, and Purdue

Comments: 

Got accepted to Utah, got invited to interview with Minnesota, haven't heard from the rest :,)

I'm seeing people get interviews and official visit invites from UMich and stressing a little lol. My POI told me that I basically had to make it past the adcom and that she'd love to have me in her lab if I did that but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this ?

8 minutes ago, zoees said:

I'm seeing people get interviews and official visit invites from UMich and stressing a little lol. My POI told me that I basically had to make it past the adcom and that she'd love to have me in her lab if I did that but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this ?

Same here. Do you know whether UMich sends invites all at once or in waves?

3 hours ago, zoees said:

Same, got interview 10 days ago and prof. said I'm a good fit. Didn't indicate the prof in app.

I asked around the MIT BE department.

Interview weekend planning in the department is starting today/next week. Most interview invites have/will be sent out by the end of this week. Last year I got my invitation at 9PM on a Friday, so there still may be more sent out today/tomorrow. It's unlikely that there will be any more sent out after this week.

28 minutes ago, Bernt said:

I asked around the MIT BE department.

Interview weekend planning in the department is starting today/next week. Most interview invites have/will be sent out by the end of this week. Last year I got my invitation at 9PM on a Friday, so there still may be more sent out today/tomorrow. It's unlikely that there will be any more sent out after this week.

Thank you! I really appreciate the information

10 minutes ago, bobdogs20 said:

Anyone apply to Harvard-MIT MEMP? 

I did and received an interview invite yesterday (yay!) It's definitely my top choice program, but it's also hella selective so... here's hoping. I also applied to MIT's Biological Engineering program, but given insight from this forum, I feel like I am most likely rejected to that program, which I feel doesn't bode well for my chances in MEMP? Ah well, I'll try my best.