Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Fall 2021 Admission Results

Bioenglover

46 minutes ago, micromachines said:

Got a preliminary interview at the University of Wisconsin, Madison! I'm not sure if interviews were conducted last year though, so either I just scraped by and that's why they're interviewing me, or this is a new introduction to their application process. 

Congrats! After your interview could you let us know what you find out about the process? I'm still waiting to hear back from Wisconsin - Madison.

I was contacted by a bioengineering professor at UVA who told me over the phone that I will be invited for an interview! Apparently official interview emails will be sent out in the coming days/ weeks according to him.

Just got an invite to have a "conversation" with a UMich professor! One of the profs I mentioned on my application reached out to me today and we will be speaking this week.  No clarification on whether or not this is the interview but it's the first I've heard from any program and I will take it!

On 1/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, zoees said:

Just got an invite to have a "conversation" with a UMich professor! One of the profs I mentioned on my application reached out to me today and we will be speaking this week.  No clarification on whether or not this is the interview but it's the first I've heard from any program and I will take it!

Same thing happened today with a POI at UCSD. Congrats and good luck! 

51 minutes ago, micromachines said:

That's great! Any insight as to how the UCSD admissions process works? 

No idea. I had emailed this person like a 1.5 months ago, and they responded just recently. Apparently they haven’t even seen my application,  but just the CV I attached to the original email. They also said that they were unable to find my application in the pool, so they would be reaching out to the admissions officer to find it. I found this weird because my application is indicated as submitted on the portal. 

8 hours ago, micromachines said:

That's great! Any insight as to how the UCSD admissions process works? 

I'm a current UCSD PhD candidate. I emailed professors beforehand but never heard back for informal interviews, etc. although we did have a short conversation. I received an invite for official invitation on Jan. 20, 2020, and the interview weekend was Feb. 13 and Feb. 14. UCSD had two interview weekends; I believe the second one was two weeks later on Feb. 27 & 28 but I could be wrong. The first interview weekend was for more wet-lab based stuff and the second weekend was for more computational-related people. I don't know whether the interview invitations were all sent out at the same time. Hopefully these data points from last year are helpful or help quell the anxieties, keeping in mind that I have no idea how things are going to go this year because of COVID! I know the graduate student organization is preparing a virtual interview agenda though. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to give you an answer

Edited by 2020bioE

On 1/10/2021 at 9:38 AM, zerozero1 said:

Congrats!!! Was it an official letter?

No , it was email from the Director of the Graduate Program in BME . He told me that they will be sending the official letter soon . 

I was contacted this morning for an informal interview with a Hopkins PI. They indicated that professors are supposed to let the depart. know by tomorrow which candidates to push forward in the interview process so I hope to hear back about formal interviews soon and I hope that this informal interview is a good sign rather than an indication that I'm on the edge .~.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, emglass said:

I was contacted by a bioengineering professor at UVA who told me over the phone that I will be invited for an interview! Apparently official interview emails will be sent out in the coming days/ weeks according to him.

UVA professor reach out to me for a zoom call about her research this week 

2 hours ago, micromachines said:

Wow, congratulations! Would you care to share a little about yourself? (if not, totally understandable!)

Sure, will try to share a little but not a ton for privacy reasons: BioE/BME major at a top R1 institution (think HYPSM), with a 3.95/4.00 GPA. ~4+ years of research experience (no internships/industry experience). Did not take GRE, and LORs were probably good as I knew all of my recommenders very well, but I trusted their judgement so I don't really know if they're considered "strong" or anything. No pubs (1 in preparation), several poster + oral presentations, and a handful of awards and research grants from my undergrad institution. Research interests in synthetic biology and metabolic engineering. 

Edited by catastrophe
privacy reasons

2 hours ago, catastrophe said:

Received an interview invite on Monday for MIT BE, haven't heard anything from BU yet

Congrats !! Was it official interview invite from department or professor contacted you for interview?  

12 minutes ago, Learnerbio said:

Congrats !! Was it official interview invite from department or professor contacted you for interview?  

Department! (email came from professor, non-POI, in department inviting to interview weekend with detailed info soon to follow from dept. admin)

7 hours ago, catastrophe said:

Sure, will try to share a little but not a ton for privacy reasons: BioE/BME major at a top R1 institution (think HYPSM), with a 3.95/4.00 GPA. ~4+ years of research experience (no internships/industry experience). Did not take GRE, and LORs were probably good as I knew all of my recommenders very well, but I trusted their judgement so I don't really know if they're considered "strong" or anything. No pubs (1 in preparation), several poster + oral presentations, and a handful of awards and research grants from my undergrad institution. Research interests in synthetic biology and metabolic engineering. 

Congratulations! Wow you are really a strong candidate! I also see else where that someone got the MIT BE interview (not the same undergrad as yours) with interests in syn bio as well. 

Edited by zerozero1