Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

14 hours ago, Regina77 said:

me too. applied to 2 CCP and CP. did you see recently on their website FAQ they posted saying they discourage you from applying to multiple programs? wth! didn't they say it was okay?

I also applied to both the MA and MEd in clinical and counselling psych at OISE. I was under the impression that if your research interests in both are similar it doesn't look bad!

17 hours ago, VanessaB said:

@Edge98@MegArmstrong I did two undergrads at the U of L and one of my friends completed her MEd (Counselling Psych) at the U of L. U of L is a great school, but living is Lethbridge leaves something to be desired! That said, since there’s little to do in Lethbridge, it’s probably great for staying focused in graduate school. I believe more younger people apply to the MEd than the MC at the U of L because the MEd in counselling is an in-class program. Usually, the older working professionals take the MC. The MC usually receives more applications per year than the MEd, but both are highly competitive to get admitted to.

Thank you so much for the information!! Much appreciated 

• 1 month later...

I have a background in Engineering (BSC and MSC). I intend to switch to Psychology. Its a long story. I have had a fulfilled career and in my early 40s. I have a constant stream of income. So i am just doing this for fulfilment. I need someone to suggest the best and easiest way to get into a Masters Program in Psychology. I live in Ontario. I am thinking of the online program at Adler. Any suggestions, pls

I heard back for the University of Lethbridge (M.Ed program) for an interview between Jan 19-22. I am wondering if anyone who applied to Calgarys program has heard about interviews as I believe they are supposed to happening next week. 

54 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

I heard back for the University of Lethbridge (M.Ed program) for an interview between Jan 19-22. I am wondering if anyone who applied to Calgarys program has heard about interviews as I believe they are supposed to happening next week. 

I am wondering the same thing. I have spoken to two others who applied and they haven't heard anything yet either about Calgary.

5 hours ago, Mara15 said:

I remember when I applied last year to Calgary the department head emailed us over the holidays to let us know we would be informed by mid-January if we were selected for an interview, so hopefully people start hearing back in the next week or so!

Edited by Samantha123

12 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

Does anyone know if UVic's MA in Counselling program has an interview component? I know they usually get back to applicants in March with final decisions but it seems a little long to wait with no interview considering their deadline was Dec 1

I know that UVic used to conduct group interviews but I don't think they do interviews anymore. 

On 1/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, Edge98 said:

No one heard from Calgary this week? I wonder if they decided to push back the interview week? Or maybe invites were already sent out. 

It looks like the invites went out today (as someone posted in the results sections that they got an invite). Anyone else hear back?

13 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

It looks like the invites went out today (as someone posted in the results sections that they got an invite). Anyone else hear back?

Where did you see this? I looked at the results page and can't see anything. 

1 minute ago, Edge98 said:

Where did you see this? I looked at the results page and can't see anything. 

I just searched counselling and it was the first result: 

University Of Calgary Counselling, Masters (F21) Interview via E-mail on 11 Jan 2021 O 11 Jan 2021

34 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

I just searched counselling and it was the first result: 

University Of Calgary Counselling, Masters (F21) Interview via E-mail on 11 Jan 2021 O 11 Jan 2021

Oh man. I didn't receive anything yet, did anyone else hear back?

Also, do they do batch emails or one by one?

Edited by Edge98

I applied to M.Ed counselling program at UBC and UofT this year. I looked at some posts from last year’s applicants. A few with GPA/work experiences far more stronger than mine said that they didn’t get an offer. I don’t have much work experiences like them nor a good gpa, so i’m VERY VERY worried. Plus, UBC told me that they will be accepting fewer students this year, making me even more anxious. Would anyone here who’ve applied to one of these schools this year would want to share what their WE/GPA looks like?

mine looks like this:

- 5 months RA at M.Ed counselling psychology department at a small college in the states

- 3 years volunteer/community involvement at a nonprofit organization to support homeless population

- 8 months clinical counselling internship student experience at a rehabilitation clinic (still employed with 1 year contract)

- upper years GPA: 3.31 (76%)

- final year GPA: 3.93 (84.5%)

plus a certification course (addictions and recovery course) at Stanford University 

note: % to gpa was converted by referring to UBC’s website

Edited by Jumbo3

On 1/12/2021 at 4:58 PM, Jumbo3 said:

I applied to M.Ed counselling program at UBC and UofT this year. I looked at some posts from last year’s applicants. A few with GPA/work experiences far more stronger than mine said that they didn’t get an offer. I don’t have much work experiences like them nor a good gpa, so i’m VERY VERY worried. Plus, UBC told me that they will be accepting fewer students this year, making me even more anxious. Would anyone here who’ve applied to one of these schools this year would want to share what their WE/GPA looks like?

mine looks like this:

- 5 months RA at M.Ed counselling psychology department at a small college in the states

- 3 years volunteer/community involvement at a nonprofit organization to support homeless population

- 8 months clinical counselling internship student experience at a rehabilitation clinic (still employed with 1 year contract)

- upper years GPA: 3.31 (76%)

- final year GPA: 3.93 (84.5%)

plus a certification course (addictions and recovery course) at Stanford University 

note: % to gpa was converted by referring to UBC’s website

I think it is really hard to gauge whether or not you get into a program based on this. There are so many other variables that are taken to account when universities review applications (LOR's, SOP's, etc). It's common to be a very competitive applicant in terms of credentials yet not get interviews, or the other way around. Unfortunately, I think all you can do right now is wait. Ultimately they will make the decision and there is not much we can do about it besides what we put into our applications. Best of luck!

4 hours ago, Edge98 said:

I think it is really hard to gauge whether or not you get into a program based on this. There are so many other variables that are taken to account when universities review applications (LOR's, SOP's, etc). It's common to be a very competitive applicant in terms of credentials yet not get interviews, or the other way around. Unfortunately, I think all you can do right now is wait. Ultimately they will make the decision and there is not much we can do about it besides what we put into our applications. Best of luck!

Hi @Edge98 thanks for your comment! yeah, that's so true. I guess everyone still gets really anxious knowing this.... lol 

BTW, I heard that UofT does not require an interview (the decisions are made only based on the documents we have submitted). Is that true?

Hey!! I've been hanging out in the clinical psych thread but didn't even realize this one existed for counselling! I applied to 4 clinical programs and 1 counselling program this year, which was McGill's Project-Based MA! Any other McGill applicants here, either for the project concentration or internship concentration?

1 hour ago, Jumbo3 said:

Hi @Edge98 thanks for your comment! yeah, that's so true. I guess everyone still gets really anxious knowing this.... lol 

BTW, I heard that UofT does not require an interview (the decisions are made only based on the documents we have submitted). Is that true?

Neither does McGill, UVic, or U of A to my knowledge. I think it's common for counselling programs to not require interviews for whatever reason.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:59 PM, carlrogersfan98 said:

Hey!! I've been hanging out in the clinical psych thread but didn't even realize this one existed for counselling! I applied to 4 clinical programs and 1 counselling program this year, which was McGill's Project-Based MA! Any other McGill applicants here, either for the project concentration or internship concentration?

I also applied to McGill Project-Based MA! Best of luck to you!