Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

On 1/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, Arielle2021 said:

Has anyone heard back from U of A?

I'm in the School & Clinical Child Psych (SCCP) program at U of A and there was no interview for that program last year, so I wouldn't stress too much about not hearing back from U of A. I could be wrong, but I imagine the U of A Counselling Psyc program would be similar to SCCP in that they likely don't conduct pre-admission interviews.

To put things into perspective, my acceptance for SCCP came on Feb 13, 2020 last year. I had contact with a POI in October 2019, but had no contact with the program between October, 2019 to February, 2020 (when my acceptance came). Given that counselling and SCCP are housed in the same department at U of A, I suspect both programs may have similar timelines.

Edited by VanessaB

Hello fellow applicants! Good luck to all!

I have applied to UofT's M.Ed. Counselling Psychology, McMaster's M.Sc. Psychotherapy and UWO's M.A. Counselling Psychology. I am currently in my fourth year of my undergraduate degree in Honours Human Behaviour. I am in a specialized program, and receive a Graduate Certificate in Autism and Behavioural Science as well upon graduating.

Question for fellow fourth year students - have you been required to submit your updated transcript to any schools yet? I am asking specifically about UofT as they do not conduct interviews.

Questions for applicants who have already completed their undergraduate degree - did you apply previously while in fourth year? If so, were you ever asked to submit your updated transcript to UofT?

Question for all applicants - does anyone know if applicants are less likely to get in to these programs directly from their undergraduate degree or is this completely unheard of?

Personal background:

Third year GPA: 4.0

Last semester GPA: 4.0

Placement experience: 3 months clinical placement experience at clinic for individuals with neurodevelopment disorders

Work experience: 3 months clinical instructor therapist (1:1 working with individuals with neurodevelopment disorders) and 6 months working as in-home behaviour therapist (1:1 working with an individual with neurodevelopment disorder)

Education: Honours Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Behaviour and Graduate Certificate in Autism and Behavioural Sciences

Thank you in advance :) 

On 1/12/2021 at 6:58 PM, Jumbo3 said:

I applied to M.Ed counselling program at UBC and UofT this year. I looked at some posts from last year’s applicants. A few with GPA/work experiences far more stronger than mine said that they didn’t get an offer. I don’t have much work experiences like them nor a good gpa, so i’m VERY VERY worried. Plus, UBC told me that they will be accepting fewer students this year, making me even more anxious. Would anyone here who’ve applied to one of these schools this year would want to share what their WE/GPA looks like?

mine looks like this:

- 5 months RA at M.Ed counselling psychology department at a small college in the states

- 3 years volunteer/community involvement at a nonprofit organization to support homeless population

- 8 months clinical counselling internship student experience at a rehabilitation clinic (still employed with 1 year contract)

- upper years GPA: 3.31 (76%)

- final year GPA: 3.93 (84.5%)

plus a certification course (addictions and recovery course) at Stanford University 

note: % to gpa was converted by referring to UBC’s website

Hey! I posted my information on the third page - I applied to UofT! 

15 hours ago, Happiness is key said:

Hello fellow applicants! Good luck to all!

I have applied to UofT's M.Ed. Counselling Psychology, McMaster's M.Sc. Psychotherapy and UWO's M.A. Counselling Psychology. I am currently in my fourth year of my undergraduate degree in Honours Human Behaviour. I am in a specialized program, and receive a Graduate Certificate in Autism and Behavioural Science as well upon graduating.

Question for fellow fourth year students - have you been required to submit your updated transcript to any schools yet? I am asking specifically about UofT as they do not conduct interviews.

Questions for applicants who have already completed their undergraduate degree - did you apply previously while in fourth year? If so, were you ever asked to submit your updated transcript to UofT?

Question for all applicants - does anyone know if applicants are less likely to get in to these programs directly from their undergraduate degree or is this completely unheard of?

Personal background:

Third year GPA: 4.0

Last semester GPA: 4.0

Placement experience: 3 months clinical placement experience at clinic for individuals with neurodevelopment disorders

Work experience: 3 months clinical instructor therapist (1:1 working with individuals with neurodevelopment disorders) and 6 months working as in-home behaviour therapist (1:1 working with an individual with neurodevelopment disorder)

Education: Honours Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Behaviour and Graduate Certificate in Autism and Behavioural Sciences

Thank you in advance :) 

When I applied previously (when I was still taking a course) I received an email from the schools I applied to asking me to send them my updated transcript. However, not all schools wanted my final transcript since my update transcript was received after the deadline. If you are unsure if you should send along your final transcripts I would email the graduate program administrator for the department they are there to help and answer questions :) 

5 hours ago, Happiness is key said:

Hey! I posted my information on the third page - I applied to UofT! 

Hi @Happiness is key! I contacted UofT and they told me they do not require updated transcripts :) hope this helps! let's keep in touch!

EDIT: I am also a fourth year applicant and I would love to hear answers to your question regarding the chance getting into the program as a graduating student.

Edited by Jumbo3

On 1/17/2021 at 3:37 PM, VanessaB said:

I'm in the School & Clinical Child Psych (SCCP) program at U of A and there was no interview for that program last year, so I wouldn't stress too much about not hearing back from U of A. I could be wrong, but I imagine the U of A Counselling Psyc program would be similar to SCCP in that they likely don't conduct pre-admission interviews.

To put things into perspective, my acceptance for SCCP came on Feb 13, 2020 last year. I had contact with a POI in October 2019, but had no contact with the program between October, 2019 to February, 2020 (when my acceptance came). Given that counselling and SCCP are housed in the same department at U of A, I suspect both programs may have similar timelines.

Thanks! That’s good to know! Guess I’ll just wait and see :) 

On 1/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, Happiness is key said:

I did for McGill but that's only because I was missing more courses than allowed from the pre-requisites list because they were in-progress during fall term. You're only allowed 2 missing from your application, but I was missing 4 since I was completing 2 of them during fall term. They allowed me to submit my updated transcripts during the first week of January and replaced my existing documents with the updated ones, now I'm only missing 2 classes from the list. I'm glad they did because it would have been unfortunate to miss a whole application season just because of two courses that were completed literally only two weeks after the application deadline lol.

Oops just realized you were asking specifically about U of T lol - maybe my anecdote will help, who knows :)

Edited by carlrogersfan98

On 1/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, Happiness is key said:

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know what the average class size and acceptance rate is for:

OISE M.Ed. Counselling Psychology program?

Western M.A. Counselling Psychology

McMaster M.Sc. Psychotherapy

Thanks!

I know OISE had around 600 applicants and accepted around 35 students last year

On 1/7/2021 at 2:45 PM, Mara15 said:

I heard back for the University of Lethbridge (M.Ed program) for an interview between Jan 19-22. I am wondering if anyone who applied to Calgarys program has heard about interviews as I believe they are supposed to happening next week. 

Congratulations for the invitation for an interview! (You are halfway there!) how did it go?? Would you be able to share your interview experience?!

I found a typo on my personal statement which I submitted to U of T. It was a super dumb typo (wrote Stanford “Sandford”) plus a small grammar mistake. Do you think this will have a negative impact on the decision they are gonna make?

Edited by Jumbo3

45 minutes ago, Jumbo3 said:

Congratulations for the invitation for an interview! (You are halfway there!) how did it go?? Would you be able to share your interview experience?!

Thanks! It was honestly not a great interview. It was a panel of four committee members. They asked the expected questions like Why this field etc, but I left the interview feeling like it didn't go well =S

Just now, Mara15 said:

Thanks! It was honestly not a great interview. It was a panel of four committee members. They asked the expected questions like Why this field etc, but I left the interview feeling like it didn't go well =S

Sorry to hear that. I hope it turns out well :) Could you share the interview questions you were asked? I have no idea what to expect from an interview for a non-thesis program

if any current counselling psychology students are on here please tell us about the program? if you like it? how you get practicum sites? does the program help or you have to find on your own? I know it's self funded but any chance of grants? if interested in a PhD later have you done a qualifying paper? what does that entail? I applied to OISE. And also to OISE clinical. I just wonder if current students start the program and wish they had applied to clinical? especially when housed in same dept like OISE!!

22 hours ago, WickedWorld91 said:

Any more news on the MSc Counselling Psych program from the University of Calgary? I got the email over the holidays saying they were planning on beginning interviews the week of January 11th. Some of you had mentioned having interviews dates set that week. Any info is much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure interview invites were sent out a few weeks ago. I heard this from a friend who got an interview and the two people who posted on the results page.