Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

12 hours ago, psychbee said:

Hi! I know 3 or 4 people put on the results page that they got interviews for mcmaster msc psychotherapy... do we think they have contacted all of their interviewees? I know the official deadline was only last Wednesday but I’m feeling discouraged since I haven’t heard yet... 

Hey yeah even I haven't been contacted for an interview so I am getting discouraged too ....

2 hours ago, Decaf22 said:

Hey yeah even I haven't been contacted for an interview so I am getting discouraged too ....

I haven't been contacted yet either. I have a friend in the program who got her offer in May of last year so i'm holding out hope that they may be interviewing in cycles!

UBC and SFU applicants: Have you noticed any updates to your applications? It's driving me nuts that it has been almost 3 months since the UBC deadline and it looks like they have yet to even check any of my documents. I know that we shouldn't expect to hear back until next month, but I keep hoping to see even the slightest change/update whenever I login to check the status of my application. ?

On 2/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, dreamingpsych said:

Mine also switched to "In Review" last week! I don't think there are interviews for the program this year, so I guess we just have to wait till March/April ?

Hey I'm in the MA counselling internship stream at McGill now! Acceptances typically go out in the later half of March! 

54 minutes ago, MASchoolPsyc said:

Hey I'm in the MA counselling internship stream at McGill now! Acceptances typically go out in the later half of March! 

Hi, thank you so much for the info! Just wondering if you had an interview for the internship stream when you applied? 

Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, MASchoolPsyc said:

No I didn't have an interview! Not sure if they are doing interviews this year though!

Do you know if interviews and/or POIs need to be identified for the MA counselling project stream at McGill? 

9 hours ago, counspsycapp said:

UBC and SFU applicants: Have you noticed any updates to your applications? It's driving me nuts that it has been almost 3 months since the UBC deadline and it looks like they have yet to even check any of my documents. I know that we shouldn't expect to hear back until next month, but I keep hoping to see even the slightest change/update whenever I login to check the status of my application. ?

I feel you! I haven't heard anything back from either institution and I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I suppose as you say, we may not hear anything until March. Fingers crossed! 

8 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Do you know if interviews and/or POIs need to be identified for the MA counselling project stream at McGill? 

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, could I ask what your general stats were? I'm applying this coming Fall and I'm very nervous about UofT. 

10 hours ago, caffeinejelly said:

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, could I ask what your general stats were? I'm applying this coming Fall and I'm very nervous about UofT. 

My undergrad CGPA in last 2 years was 3.9 and in my previous Masters, a 3.8. I have 8 years of research experience, including last 5 years in mental health research and didn't get an interview from OISE. With only 5 faculty members accepting students this year, I knew my chances were slim as my research interests most align with a faculty member who wasn't taking anyone this year.

I think regardless of the school, getting into clinical or counselling psych programs is difficult due to how few people they accept compared to how many apply, so for those of you that have gotten accepted, it's really impressive-- congrats!! Not to sound cheesy, but for those who don't get in anywhere, don't give up-- the pandemic has shown just how much the world needs more counsellors and those that work in careers focused on helping people! 

7 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

My undergrad CGPA in last 2 years was 3.9 and in my previous Masters, a 3.8. I have 8 years of research experience, including last 5 years in mental health research and didn't get an interview from OISE. With only 5 faculty members accepting students this year, I knew my chances were slim as my research interests most align with a faculty member who wasn't taking anyone this year.

I think regardless of the school, getting into clinical or counselling psych programs is difficult due to how few people they accept compared to how many apply, so for those of you that have gotten accepted, it's really impressive-- congrats!! Not to sound cheesy, but for those who don't get in anywhere, don't give up-- the pandemic has shown just how much the world needs more counsellors and those that work in careers focused on helping people! 

Thanks for replying! Wow, your grades and experience are both amazing. I'm wishing you the best of luck. I believe in you! 

Can the person who got accepted to the Project stream at McGill contact me with POI details? I never interviewed but that whole "interviews are not required for 2020" thing is tripping me up... I have a unique POI situation though (someone from external faculty + internal faculty to co-supervise) so I'm wondering if that impacted my application in any way... ahhh I'm so stressed lol

1 hour ago, Dandelion18 said:

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from SFU yet? I was under the impression they were going to start invites for interviews by end of February, but I see a few people mention March.

I know in previous years shortlisted applicants were notified about interviews around this time. Buuuut if I recall correctly they mentioned at the info session that this year we should expect to hear back around mid-March. Good luck!! 

18 hours ago, psychbee said:

Hi! I was hoping to hear from anyone who took a year or years off after their undergrad to gain more experience and improve their application for following years. What kinds of jobs did you get that were good for related experience and how did you find/get these positions? 

Thanks so much! 

I worked as a healthcare assistant at the psychiatric department at a hospital for a year and am working as a school counsellor now. I would say the psychiatric department in the hospital has been an ideal place to start my career, as I could understand the duties of different healthcare professionals and how they cooperate, and it was very easy to seek advice from doctors, psychologists, and nurses. I am very interested in helping youth with mental healthcare needs, so having direct communication with youth with different mental disorders was a very interesting experience to me. Besides, if you are interested in the healthcare field but not knowing which occupation you'd like to pursue in particular, a year in the hospital could probably help clarifying your interest. The cost of working in the hospital is having to do many repetitive duties, e.g. cleaning, checking body temperature etc. But since I observed and learnt a lot about how healthcare professionals communicate with patients and their caregivers, I would still say it is worth it. 

I then started to work as a school counsellor, as it is allowed to work as a school counsellor before gaining a MA counselling in my country. I don't think it is possible in Canada, but fyi, I enjoy the job very much as well. However, working as a counsellor in an environment where the primary goal is not promoting psychological health can be challenging, since you have to work more independently to help your clients while meeting the demands of the organisation. I could not imagine how helpless it could be if I have not been worked with and supervised by a team of professionals in the hospital before. It is not easy, but there's definitely more job satisfaction than working as an healthcare assistant. 

On top of those working experiences, I also volunteer as a hotline counsellor at a NGO. answering calls from women and youth who experienced domestic violences. I am not sure if my choices of jobs are right, as I do not much research experiences after I graduated. So... will see how it goes, and best of luck to you!

On 2/28/2021 at 10:25 PM, psychbee said:

Hi! I was hoping to hear from anyone who took a year or years off after their undergrad to gain more experience and improve their application for following years. What kinds of jobs did you get that were good for related experience and how did you find/get these positions? 

Thanks so much! 

I spent the last year of my undergraduate degree working at a Social Psychology Lab and as a volunteer at a local suicide line. After graduating at the start of the pandemic, I was unemployed for 6 months before finding work as support staff at a shelter. I've been with them 6 months now and also got hired as a paid crisis responder at the suicide line I was volunteering at. I think I tried my best to find opportunities, volunteer or otherwise that would allow me to work with people on a personal level, affecting their emotional states. It helped me realize I wanted to pursue counselling!

On 2/24/2021 at 2:50 PM, T.O.hopeful said:

Interviews are apparently not required this year, however you do still need to list specific supervisor(s) in your application. I listed mine in the 250-word research statement you gotta include as a part of the Project stream application

Edited by carlrogersfan98