Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

2 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Did anyone apply to UBC or UVic's MA Counselling psych program that did not do their undergrad in BC? If so can you PM me? I have some questions about their prerequisite courses. Thank you

Hey I also applied to UVic! Although I did my undergrad at UBC. Do you want to DM me to chat about the pre-reqs? so nice to finally meet another person who applied to UVic lol

Hi! I've applied to a few Counselling Masters programs but I am also looking into the one at Yorkville. I know it's entirely online, very expensive and flexible for people already working part-time or full-time. I was wondering if anyone would have any experiences to share on this program, or could speak to its quality? Thank you!

27 minutes ago, psychbee said:

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has heard from McGill Masters of Counselling or McMasters Psychotherapy? 

Hello! I haven't heard from them yet. I applied to McGill last year and received a response end of March (rejection of course). Not sure when to expect an answer from McMaster. Good luck!

On 1/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, WickedWorld91 said:

Any more news on the MSc Counselling Psych program from the University of Calgary? I got the email over the holidays saying they were planning on beginning interviews the week of January 11th. Some of you had mentioned having interviews dates set that week. Any info is much appreciated!

Hi, I believe all interviews for UCalgary counselling have been completed. They said they only had 1 week for interviews and they had to make a decision by the end. 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, Arielle2021 said:

Has anyone heard back from U of A?

I just got a message saying I accidentally applied for the course based stream when it was clear I meant thesis based in my SoP (oops!) - but the email said they would make sure my application was reviewed by the thesis-based stream coordinators. Therefore, they likely either haven't started or just started reviewing apps. 

Hi everyone

Lurking to see if anyone here is doing the online MC format for working professionals. Hoping those that are will see this and respond! :)

I was wondering if anyone has heard from U of L (MC or MEd, as they are on/near the same timeline)? I had an interview Jan 12 and nothing.

Also anyone applying to Athabasca?

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, Jade95 said:

Hi everyone

Lurking to see if anyone here is doing the online MC format for working professionals. Hoping those that are will see this and respond! :)

I was wondering if anyone has heard from U of L (MC or MEd, as they are on/near the same timeline)? I had an interview Jan 12 and nothing.

Cheers!

For the UofL MEd route the interviewers said we should hear back within the first two weeks of February. I imagine it would be similar for the the MC route :) 

Edited by Mara15

3 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

For the UofL MEd route the interviewers said we should hear back within the first two weeks of February. I imagine it would be similar for the the MC route :) 

Thank you so much! I think I spaced out at the end of the interview when they gave that information.. Busy ruminating on how I did haha

3 hours ago, Plzletmein said:

Hi, I believe all interviews for UCalgary counselling have been completed. They said they only had 1 week for interviews and they had to make a decision by the end. 

Thanks for your insight. That seems like a short window considering when the offers went out last year. Do you know if they interview everyone who is being considered (including those shortlisted) in that one week? Or can they hold interviews later on for shortlisters in the case that not everyone accepts the offer. 

57 minutes ago, WickedWorld91 said:

Thanks for your insight. That seems like a short window considering when the offers went out last year. Do you know if they interview everyone who is being considered (including those shortlisted) in that one week? Or can they hold interviews later on for shortlisters in the case that not everyone accepts the offer. 

Not sure, but it is possible! I know I was waitlisted for school psyc there last year but never received any interview/communication, so I wouldn't worry about it yet! :) Good luck!

1 hour ago, WickedWorld91 said:

For UCalgary counselling, they will  interview all the shortlisted applicants, and about half of those will get an offer. If someone doesn’t accept their offer, it’s unlikely they’d interview others later on, but I suppose it’s not entirely impossible depending on what happens with offers and the waitlist.

For UCalgary school psych, it’s a different process. They don’t interview at all. I got the official offer for the MSc School & Applied Child Psyc program on Feb 7th last year (and informal acceptance via email from a prof in Jan) with no interview. The deadline to accept was March 7, 2020, so I suspect they contact those on the waitlist around mid March.

Edited by VanessaB

Hi everyone, just looking for some realistic advice! 

I’m just finishing up my undergrad in psychology (at Queen’s if it helps) and I applied to two counselling programs (McGill and McMaster) but I’m worried that I’m not a very strong applicant and was wondering if anyone who is maybe in a counselling program or knows more would be able to help? I just want to have realistic expectations about if I might get in or not! 

I have a 4 year GPA of 3.95 on a 4.0 scale, and have worked as a research assistant in 3 different psychology labs in undergrad. I’m also completing my honours thesis project in a clinical psychology lab. For this thesis project I have been doing clinical diagnostic interviews to diagnose participants with DSM-5 disorders for the purposes of the study. All of my references I applied with were academic from profs I’ve worked with. 

Other relevant experience: I’ve worked as a early childhood assistant at a daycare, taught dance classes and summer camps as well was was a counsellor at the national ballet school. I currently work in a doctors office as a medical receptionist as well. 

I’m really just wondering what my chances are of getting into a counselling program this year considering I only applied to two programs :( If anyone has any insight that would be great! 

42 minutes ago, psychbee said:

I’m just finishing up my undergrad in psychology (at Queen’s if it helps) and I applied to two counselling programs (McGill and McMaster) but I’m worried that I’m not a very strong applicant and was wondering if anyone who is maybe in a counselling program or knows more would be able to help? I just want to have realistic expectations about if I might get in or not! 

I have a 4 year GPA of 3.95 on a 4.0 scale, and have worked as a research assistant in 3 different psychology labs in undergrad. I’m also completing my honours thesis project in a clinical psychology lab. For this thesis project I have been doing clinical diagnostic interviews to diagnose participants with DSM-5 disorders for the purposes of the study. All of my references I applied with were academic from profs I’ve worked with. 

Other relevant experience: I’ve worked as a early childhood assistant at a daycare, taught dance classes and summer camps as well was was a counsellor at the national ballet school. I currently work in a doctors office as a medical receptionist as well. 

I’m really just wondering what my chances are of getting into a counselling program this year considering I only applied to two programs :( If anyone has any insight that would be great! 

You are an extremely strong applicant. Even if by chance you didn’t get accepted this year you absolutely will have great offers next year. Your GPA/experiences are very solid for counselling. Best of luck, you deserve it. 

12 hours ago, psychbee said:

As mentioned, you would be an extremely strong applicant for Counselling. Based on the information you've given, you may even be a good candidate for clinical. The only one potential downside in regards to counselling is that older candidates may have more experience in the field working directly with vulnerable populations, which definitely hold weights for counselling (whereas clinical focuses more on research).

If by some chance you don't get any offers this year, don't fret. I applied to MSc Counselling Psych at Calgary this year and haven't heard anything, while others have. I have an honours degree in psych, a high GPA, a publication, two years research experience, am currently working a full time position in a lab under, and have two years experience working in the field. I think it is just a very tough year to be applying as applicant numbers are through the roof because of COVID. 

20 hours ago, VanessaB said:

For UCalgary counselling, they will  interview all the shortlisted applicants, and about half of those will get an offer. If someone doesn’t accept their offer, it’s unlikely they’d interview others later on, but I suppose it’s not entirely impossible depending on what happens with offers and the waitlist.

For UCalgary school psych, it’s a different process. They don’t interview at all. I got the official offer for the MSc School & Applied Child Psyc program on Feb 7th last year (and informal acceptance via email from a prof in Jan) with no interview. The deadline to accept was March 7, 2020, so I suspect they contact those on the waitlist around mid March.

Thanks for the insight.  It makes a lot of sense logistically that they'd interview everyone within a certain time span rather than holding more interviews later on, that's what I was thinking. 

19 minutes ago, WickedWorld91 said:

As mentioned, you would be an extremely strong applicant for Counselling. Based on the information you've given, you may even be a good candidate for clinical. The only one potential downside in regards to counselling is that older candidates may have more experience in the field working directly with vulnerable populations, which definitely hold weights for counselling (whereas clinical focuses more on research).

If by some chance you don't get any offers this year, don't fret. I applied to MSc Counselling Psych at Calgary this year and haven't heard anything, while others have. I have an honours degree in psych, a high GPA, a publication, two years research experience, am currently working a full time position in a lab under, and have two years experience working in the field. I think it is just a very tough year to be applying as applicant numbers are through the roof because of COVID. 

Hi, thank you so much for your reply! I did actually also apply to clinical programs as I was sort of split between doing counselling and clinical (because you know 6+ more years for clin is a lot!) but looking at the forum it seems very very unlikely I will make it in this year with the tough applicant pool. 

I think you’re totally right about favouring older applicants with a bit more experience in the field which is why I’m nervous because I really do not want to take a year off after undergrad, but I also understand how hard it is to get in without the extra year of experience. 

Crossing my fingers for you for Calgary! 

On 1/29/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jade95 said:

Hi everyone

Cheers!

Hello, were you invited for interview for UofL (MC-online)?

Just now, Samantha123 said:

Did you mean for the Msc in Counselling Psych? I know last year they got back to folks in the first/second week of Feb with offers :)

Yes - I applied to the school psych program, but it is housed in the same faculty and some of the supervisors overlap. I was given a time frame that begins last week for when letters are coming out (around ish) and so I'm naturally on overdrive refreshing and ruminating haha (as I'm sure a lot of us are!) 

3 minutes ago, CateFace said:

Yes - I applied to the school psych program, but it is housed in the same faculty and some of the supervisors overlap. I was given a time frame that begins last week for when letters are coming out (around ish) and so I'm naturally on overdrive refreshing and ruminating haha (as I'm sure a lot of us are!) 

Yes, same here! I've accepted it's okay to keep refreshing my portal because I know the checking tendencies will go away once I actually get a decision one way or the other - keep going, soon this will be over!!