Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

11 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

The other thing I would be cautious about with Yorkville/Athabasca is that those are not CPA-accredited programs!

Not CPA accredited but according to the CRPO website, Yorkville is a recognized/accepted program (https://www.crpo.ca/recognized-accepted-programs/) to register as a Psychotherapist. Though based on the recognition date, looks like they are up for renewal, so not sure what the status is for that program. 

54 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Not CPA accredited but according to the CRPO website, Yorkville is a recognized/accepted program (https://www.crpo.ca/recognized-accepted-programs/) to register as a Psychotherapist. Though based on the recognition date, looks like they are up for renewal, so not sure what the status is for that program. 

I see, good point. I suppose it depends then on what your personal goals are in terms of registration, licensing, and scope of practice. 

3 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Not personally interested in Yorkville or Adler, but I was wondering ... how is their training quality, employment rates post-grad, etc? My impression isn't that positive but I also lack knowledge about these programs

4 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

The other thing I would be cautious about with Yorkville/Athabasca is that those are not CPA-accredited programs!

From my understanding, CPA does not accredit at the Masters level, only doctoral. These programs are also considered terminal and don't have doctorate routes so CPA wouldn't accredit them in that way either. 

30 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

From my understanding, CPA does not accredit at the Masters level, only doctoral. These programs are also considered terminal and don't have doctorate routes so CPA wouldn't accredit them in that way either. 

I actually found out recently that the Yorkville program has a new Doctorate program! this is still in Psychotherapy and I believe you will have a doctorate in psychotherapy (ive never heard of this. but its a brand new program) so I would check if it would. be CPA accredited 

3 minutes ago, LiveLovePsych said:

I actually found out recently that the Yorkville program has a new Doctorate program! this is still in Psychotherapy and I believe you will have a doctorate in psychotherapy (ive never heard of this. but its a brand new program) so I would check if it would. be CPA accredited 

Interesting, I didn't know this! I've never heard of a doctorate in psychotherapy? Only psychology or philosophy. Concordia University of Edmonton just started a PsyD program but on their website they state that it takes 5 years of proving program success in order to apply for CPA accreditation. For that program, they won't be able to even apply to be accredited till 2025. 

Just now, Edge98 said:

Interesting, I didn't know this! I've never heard of a doctorate in psychotherapy? Only psychology or philosophy. Concordia University of Edmonton just started a PsyD program but on their website they state that it takes 5 years of proving program success in order to apply for CPA accreditation. For that program, they won't be able to even apply to be accredited till 2025. 

wow! I had no idea theres a new PsyD program. that makes me excited for the future bc I want to be enrolled in one of those programs. So this doctorate in psychotherapy does not give you the credentials of a doctor like a PhD or PsyD would. you would be able to say professionally you hold a doctorate but in my opinion I believe this new program is for a more hands on aspect to becoming a registered psychotherapist! 

I have applied for Uvic this year and just got a email today asking me for my course syllabus for equivalency check.They informed me that they would be giving out offers in late March and early April. For those who also applied for uvic, you will be expecting to hear back from them in a couple of weeks!! 

just wondering since people are talking about Yorkville U. 

Would pursuing masters/doctoral degree online be considered as qualified as on-campus programs when searching for jobs in the future? 

hi guys, I'm looking for some advice.

I found out that I checked a wrong box, stating that I have not requested for the prerequisite equivalency test (which I did). It could be obvious since I submitted an approval letter with my application, but do you think it would be a good idea to contact them to let them know about this?

12 minutes ago, Jumbo3 said:

I found out that I checked a wrong box, stating that I have not requested for the prerequisite equivalency test (which I did). It could be obvious since I submitted an approval letter with my application, but do you think it would be a good idea to contact them to let them know about this?

It couldn't hurt! If you are emailing I would email ASAP though because now is around the time decisions start to come out for schools in general!

4 hours ago, Jumbo3 said:

Hey! I would say you could email or even call them! Personally I feel like calling would be easier because you will get an answer right away and if there is something that they request you to do then you can do that immediately instead of waiting for a reply!

I’m sure that worst case they can either change it for you or add a ‘note’ to your application!☺️

I wouldn’t stress given that you attached a file specifically for it - i’m sure that they will see that!

Hi! ??‍♀️

Anyone out there apply to Athabasca Master of Counselling Psychology?  It was my only option (for public, accredited uni) since I am a “mature” applicant and already well into a career, so online part-time is my only option. And I’m not too fussed about becoming a psychologist at this point- which would still be an option in Alberta though with this degree. Anyone out there apply to AU? Been accepted?

Best wishes to all in your applications and future studies!?

Edited by PsychBabble

10 hours ago, broski said:

Not personally interested in Yorkville or Adler, but I was wondering ... how is their training quality, employment rates post-grad, etc? My impression isn't that positive but I also lack knowledge about these programs

I asked similar questions to their admission advisor earlier. However, they did not answer my questions directly (e.g. repeatedly telling me that the program is recognized by different associations) nor give me much detail of how the courses would be taught. Moreover, I received multiple phone calls and emails asking me to apply and pay as soon as possible after that, so my impression isn't very positive too. I think I'd take more courses to boost my gpa and apply for more reputable schools again next year. 

8 hours ago, PsychBabble said:

Hi! ??‍♀️

Anyone out there apply to Athabasca Master of Counselling Psychology?  It was my only option (for public, accredited uni) since I am a “mature” applicant and already well into a career, so online part-time is my only option. And I’m not too fussed about becoming a psychologist at this point- which would still be an option in Alberta though with this degree. Anyone out there apply to AU? Been accepted?

Best wishes to all in your applications and future studies!?

It is an option with this degree, but this is limited to Alberta (and maybe some other provinces, but definitely not all of them. There are many successful graduates from the AU MC program that have registered as a psychologist in Alberta. 

8 minutes ago, hopefultherapist said:

Hi! I’ve never posted on here but wanted to gauge the opinions of others on the topic. I was recently accepted to OISE MEd for Counselling & Psychotherapy. I’m very excited but I’m worried this program will streamline me and only give me the opportunity to work in educational counselling settings. I am hoping to go into private practice as a psychotherapist one day and I’m nervous about being able to do that with a degree of this kind. I’m also wondering if there is any pathway to CPA accreditation with this program combined with the EdD program. I know the typical route for CPA accreditation is going into the Clinical stream, but I’m curious about my options further down the road (much later on down the road) as a graduate of this program. Anybody with any insight would be greatly appreciated!! 

Im curious what makes you think the MEd in Counselling and Psychotherapy would make your future options limited at all? Especially to an educational settings? 

Many professional counselling masters are based through faculties of education hence the MEd but in no ways limits what you are able to do. I would love to know any insight behind your thinking to make sure I myself am not missing something. 

These are professional masters that allow you to practice as a registered counsellor or psychotherapist within Ontario, is that not what you are looking to do?

3 hours ago, CateFace said:

It is an option with this degree, but this is limited to Alberta (and maybe some other provinces, but definitely not all of them. There are many successful graduates from the AU MC program that have registered as a psychologist in Alberta. 

Yes there are! So for those in Alberta it’s not a bad option. AU is pretty well connected for practicums in Alberta as well as this program has been around for around 2 decades I believe.

Im curious to know how many others out there have applied and if they’ve heard a decision yet on their application. ? 

4 minutes ago, PsychBabble said:

Yes there are! So for those in Alberta it’s not a bad option. AU is pretty well connected for practicums in Alberta as well as this program has been around for around 2 decades I believe.

Im curious to know how many others out there have applied and if they’ve heard a decision yet on their application. ? 

I haven't applied to this, but I am currently an undergrad at AU and am on the student's union council so have had a lot of discussions with students aiming for this program so this is my understanding. In previous years, applicants received notice of acceptance in April/May I believe - the cohorts are around 50 per year and applicants are several hundred. But there is a laddering option that many students take in which if they aren't accepted into a cohort immediately they can still begin the coursework and ladder into the cohort later on and end up with the same end-goal/objective too. 

10 hours ago, Psypig said:

I asked similar questions to their admission advisor earlier. However, they did not answer my questions directly (e.g. repeatedly telling me that the program is recognized by different associations) nor give me much detail of how the courses would be taught. Moreover, I received multiple phone calls and emails asking me to apply and pay as soon as possible after that, so my impression isn't very positive too. I think I'd take more courses to boost my gpa and apply for more reputable schools again next year. 

I guess it's what they don't say that matters... ?  ?  Online reviews and forums have been a mixed bag, some people said they had a good exp and found a job, some said you need to hustle to find practicum opportunities, some people said to run.

19 hours ago, Jumbo3 said:

just wondering since people are talking about Yorkville U. 

Would pursuing masters/doctoral degree online be considered as qualified as on-campus programs when searching for jobs in the future? 

correct me if I'm wrong in understanding your question, but you are asking if they are kind of equivalent in terms of job searching in future? from what I know about the university, you are qualified just the same since the university is under CRPO. When looking for placement while in the program, it will be challenging to find one only because they don't help you out in that aspect but once you are registered with the CRPO no it wouldn't be challenging. the most important thing is that you are registered!

4 hours ago, CateFace said:

I believe you can register as a psychologist in Ontario with just a Masters degree as long as you are registered as a Psychologist in another province. For example, the website for the College of Psychologists of Ontario indicate that if you're a registered psychologist in another province, e.g. Alberta, you have to take/pass an exam to be registered to practice as a psychologist in Ontario. Meaning, techically you can practice as a Registered Psychologist in Ontario if you get a Masters degree in a province that allows you to register as a psychologist with just the Masters. 

I've seen some psychologists working in Ontario with only a Master's degrees and they use CPsych as their designation, so they're either lying (lol) or it's because they received their designation from another province. 

Hi All,

Just trying to gauge where we are at with the admissions process as there are so many counselling and psychotherapy streams/programs in this thread. Have offers started going out for the Master of Education in Counselling Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy Field at OISE (not the clinical field)?

14 minutes ago, GradApplicant2021 said:

Hi All,

Just trying to gauge where we are at with the admissions process as there are so many counselling and psychotherapy streams/programs in this thread. Have offers started going out for the Master of Education in Counselling Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy Field at OISE (not the clinical field)?

People have started getting acceptances last week! you can check this forum out: