Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

Just now, BCCounsellingPsyc said:

Congratulations! I just got an offer from UBC too! When are you starting? Good luck to everyone. The waiting game is torturous!

Congratulations!! I’m starting in July! What about you? Feel free to message me. It would be awesome to connect before the program starts. 

1 hour ago, BCCounsellingPsyc said:

I applied to the M.Ed at UBC and got my offer at 4:37pm. It went into my junk folder though so be sure to check there!

Hi! Just checked my junk and i didn’t get anything :( i guess it’s a sign of a rejection.... Did your application status change on CWL after you received your letter?

12 minutes ago, Jumbo3 said:

Hi! Just checked my junk and i didn’t get anything :( i guess it’s a sign of a rejection.... Did your application status change on CWL after you received your letter?

I just checked, my status on CWL hasn't changed, it still says 'submitted'. My offer letter instructs me to click on 'mange submission' and accept or decline the offer. I believe that's when my status will change. My fingers are crossed for you. It's so competitive when so many highly qualified people are applying for so few spaces. Good luck, I hope you hear soon!

18 hours ago, BCCounsellingPsyc said:

I just checked, my status on CWL hasn't changed, it still says 'submitted'. My offer letter instructs me to click on 'mange submission' and accept or decline the offer. I believe that's when my status will change. My fingers are crossed for you. It's so competitive when so many highly qualified people are applying for so few spaces. Good luck, I hope you hear soon!

Thanks for checking and letting me know!

I think what you were looking at is the status of your applying process! When you click "manage", it shows status of review process as well! Mine shows "in progress". Maybe your's has already changed there? The letter with instructions must be more accurate but just in case you might be already able to accept the offer!

Edited by Jumbo3

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a little while but wanted to post something to connect with you all.

I've applied to UAlberta, UVic, UBC, and UofT counselling psyc programs for the September 2021 intake. So far, I've only heard back from UAlberta and they rejected me :( Crossing my fingers and praying to the heavens that I'll get accepted to one of the other programs, but I'm honestly so stressed right now because I feel like the possibility of being rejected everywhere is becoming more and more of a reality with each passing day.

1 hour ago, lmw1496 said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a little while but wanted to post something to connect with you all.

I've applied to UAlberta, UVic, UBC, and UofT counselling psyc programs for the September 2021 intake. So far, I've only heard back from UAlberta and they rejected me :( Crossing my fingers and praying to the heavens that I'll get accepted to one of the other programs, but I'm honestly so stressed right now because I feel like the possibility of being rejected everywhere is becoming more and more of a reality with each passing day.

I am sorry to hear that. Application time is so stressful. Keep your head up though, it took me 3 times before I finally got a letter of acceptance. If it doesn't happen for you this year that doesn't mean you wont get in other years! My understanding is this year was a tough year with lots of applicants. Fingers cross you hear something good from one of the schools though ?

19 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

I am sorry to hear that. Application time is so stressful. Keep your head up though, it took me 3 times before I finally got a letter of acceptance. If it doesn't happen for you this year that doesn't mean you wont get in other years! My understanding is this year was a tough year with lots of applicants. Fingers cross you hear something good from one of the schools though ?

Thank you so much for the kind words! Part of me knows that there's always future years to apply, but I know that if I'm rejected this cycle, I'm going to enter a state of doubt on whether this is the right path, so I'm trying to prepare for that so I don't completely spiral!

3 times- huge props to you for your perseverance! It must have felt so so nice to get that acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, was there anything you did differently your 3rd time around that may have increased your chances of being accepted?

Thank you so much for the kind words! Part of me knows that there's always future years to apply, but I know that if I'm rejected this cycle, I'm going to enter a state of doubt on whether this is the right path, so I'm trying to prepare for that so I don't completely spiral!

3 times- huge props to you for your perseverance! It must have felt so so nice to get that acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, was there anything you did differently your 3rd time around that may have increased your chances of being accepted?

I definitely understand that doubt, I also experienced a lot of that. I continued to work as a mental health support worker as well as worked in a research lab. However, when I applied my first time I already had quite a bit of experience so I am not sure if that boosted me much. I also am a coauthor on a paper but they are still in production so that doesn't have much weight either. I think a big part of what worked this time was having a better Letter of Intent and finding a good supervisor match. 

10 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

I definitely understand that doubt, I also experienced a lot of that. I continued to work as a mental health support worker as well as worked in a research lab. However, when I applied my first time I already had quite a bit of experience so I am not sure if that boosted me much. I also am a coauthor on a paper but they are still in production so that doesn't have much weight either. I think a big part of what worked this time was having a better Letter of Intent and finding a good supervisor match. 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with doubts :) Wow! It sounds like you had a lot of great experiences that I'm sure worked really well in your favour. That's interesting about the letter of intent though. If I don't get into any programs this cycle, would you be open to chatting more about the LOI through private message perhaps? The more I think about my application, the more I think that that could have been a weak point and could use advice on how to make it stronger (absolutely no pressure, though!)

25 minutes ago, lmw1496 said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with doubts :) Wow! It sounds like you had a lot of great experiences that I'm sure worked really well in your favour. That's interesting about the letter of intent though. If I don't get into any programs this cycle, would you be open to chatting more about the LOI through private message perhaps? The more I think about my application, the more I think that that could have been a weak point and could use advice on how to make it stronger (absolutely no pressure, though!)

Of course happy to help!

If it helps I totally relate to the doubt too. I still have yet to hear back from one more school but I don't have too high hopes. I'm constantly asking myself if so much school is worth it, if I would even make a good psychologist, if I would get bored of the job after a while, etc, etc. I even began considering other programs like SW or OT and completely abandoning the path of clinical/counselling psych altogether. I don't have much advice because I'm currently feeling so low about all of the doubt but I just wanted to say you're not alone and I completely get it. ❤️ 

58 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

If it helps I totally relate to the doubt too. I still have yet to hear back from one more school but I don't have too high hopes. I'm constantly asking myself if so much school is worth it, if I would even make a good psychologist, if I would get bored of the job after a while, etc, etc. I even began considering other programs like SW or OT and completely abandoning the path of clinical/counselling psych altogether. I don't have much advice because I'm currently feeling so low about all of the doubt but I just wanted to say you're not alone and I completely get it. ❤️ 

are you looking to be a psychologist or a counsellor? Because OISE MEd psychology isnt the route to a clinical psychologist, its to be a therapist. same with any masters

3 minutes ago, psychotherapyiscool said:

are you looking to be a psychologist or a counsellor? Because OISE MEd psychology isnt the route to a clinical psychologist, its to be a therapist. same with any masters

There are many master's programs in counselling psychology that can lead to the route to be a psychologist if you continue on to finish doctoral work. In Alberta specifically you can register as a psychologist with a master's degree, although I believe they are the only province that does this. 

1 hour ago, psychotherapyiscool said:

I'm looking to be a psychologist, regardless of it's a clinical or counselling one (they are very similar, albeit somewhat different). I didn't apply to OISE, and I am hoping to complete doctoral programs nonetheless. Also, like Edge98 said, depending on the province you can work as a psychologist at the master's level.

3 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

It does! It's always reassuring to hear that other people feel similarly, so thank you for sharing :) I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way! I can imagine how stressed and uncertain you feel right now, but I'm crossing my fingers that the last school will bring you positive news. If it doesn't, something that's helped me a little so far has been keeping in mind that rejection isn't a reflection of your skills & experiences bc lots of qualified people are turned down. Even so, rejection still sucks so I'm sending you all the good vibes, we'll all get through this together!

I still haven't heard back from any school and I'm assuming I will have to give it another try next year. 
I've started planning how I want to spend this year, preparing for the next round and wanted to ask for some advice.

I'm really wanting to have more experience at a research lab but I find it hard to get an opportunity to do so. For those who have research experience and who wouldn't mind sharing, through what route did you guys find the RA position at where? Are there any tips? (I'm graduating from my undergrad this coming April).

Another question is, I had my references this year from professors in classes I was taking at the time I applied. I will have to ask for new ones for my next application. What are the tips to find academic references after getting out of school? 

Thank you in advance

1 hour ago, Jumbo3 said:

I still haven't heard back from any school and I'm assuming I will have to give it another try next year. 
I've started planning how I want to spend this year, preparing for the next round and wanted to ask for some advice.

I'm really wanting to have more experience at a research lab but I find it hard to get an opportunity to do so. For those who have research experience and who wouldn't mind sharing, through what route did you guys find the RA position at where? Are there any tips? (I'm graduating from my undergrad this coming April).

Another question is, I had my references this year from professors in classes I was taking at the time I applied. I will have to ask for new ones for my next application. What are the tips to find academic references after getting out of school? 

Thank you in advance

First, I know how strong the doubts feel right now, but remember that it isn't over until you receive a reject! There's still the possibility that you could be waitlisted and accepted at a later date. I know it's hard to maintain hope, especially when you hear about other acceptances, but try to remember that!

In terms of research experience, it's generally easiest to begin as a volunteer RA and then work your way up to more senior positions (which is the route I took). So, find labs whose research interests match yours, and email the PI or research coordinator to see if there's open positions and show how interested you are in their work! Ideally, if you could work on a project where you could present your results at a conference or in a paper (uni's will often have these specifically for undergrads/recent grads) that would be good cause it'll show initiative and be good practice if you're applying for a research-based master's program.

As for references, I don't see why you couldn't ask the same people to be referees for you again? Especially for academic ones since you'll be out of school, so it's not like you will have taken more courses where you can ask different profs. That being said, if you want to have new ones, maybe think about other profs whose classes you took and ask them? But otherwise I think it'd be fine to ask the same people but have them emphasize the stuff you've done since you applied the first time to show your commitment to the program and career path!