Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

22 hours ago, King43867 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I got my acceptance from Western University for Counselling a few weeks ago. However, I also got an acceptance for a Masters of Social Work. The social work program is actually offering essentially free tuition in scholarships and after reviewing the colleges regulations for both professions a social worker is able to perform psychotherapy (after 2 years supervision)  and counsel clients as soon as they graduate; versus the counselling programs in Ontario only gives 200ish hours of practicum and you need 1000 to register to be a psychotherapist and also need to write the EEEP exam to be certified whereas social work you do not need these things. I talked with a social worker, counsellor, psychologist and all say the same: The overlap in the professions is massive and you can get to the same point career wise and see the same clients in the same settings as other mental health professionals. Ultimately this is leading me to reject my offer from Western University for counselling and pursue social work. 

Some of you will be skeptical about this and possibly think it is dumb of me to do social work instead of doing counselling (which admittedly i thought of myself) but the social justice work, the ability to counsel and the opportunity to be at the same spot as a psychotherapist seems too good of an opportunity to pass up, especially with the scholarships. I say this all because like you folks, Ive been on this forum and experienced rejection from schools and been discouraged. However, please take some time to think about other avenues to get to the same spot, occupational therapists, social workers, nurses, counsellors, psychotherapists, and psychologists among some others can all perform a lot of the same tasks. I wanted counselling and thought that was the only route until I learned about social work and their ability to do psychotherapy and it completely changed my view on where my career is going to go and what I value and actually want. 

Good luck to everyone in the coming school year, round of applications and everything else. Im more than willing to answer any questions or concerns or PM me if you want to talk more. 

As a graduate of this program (UWO) and currently working in the field - I agree. Feel free to message me!

7 hours ago, rumstrr said:

Just recieved a rejection. Feeling kinda bummed cause I didn't get in anywhere I applied to! :( I know there's always next year, but at this point I'm unsure what I should do differently. 

I got a rejection from McGill as well . Bummer :+( I will go for Adler or Yorkville . 

I believe those who applied for McGill counselling project stream all got their results. I've talked to some grad students in counselling psychology in McGill and apparently they have different application process for the two streams. Admission decisions for the project program come usually in mid February to early March (it could be later for those who didn't go to McGill for undergrad and didn't know their supervisors beforehand). Internship results usually come later in early April (these days). 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:26 AM, snickerdoodle said:

Hey - same here. I feel you, it sucks. 

I'm holding out a shred of hope for SFU, although the program is so incredibly competitive (aren't they all, I suppose). Apparently they had over 300 applicants this year, narrowed down to ~30 interviews, and then down to ~12 places. Crazy! 

I'm in this boat with SFU too!! I had my interview last week. I creeped your profile and saw that you applied to the MA program, whereas I applied to the MEd program... so I feel less weird messaging you, ha! I have also been waitlisted for the UVic program. They have 14 spots this year and waitlisted 4 people. The anxiety of the waiting is all-consuming! 

I applied to UVic and SFU. Had an interview with SFU and now waiting on the results (eek!), they said they'll let us know by the end of April. I am on the waitlist for UVic (another eek). Anyone know how likely people who are waitlisted are to get in? UVic said there's 14 spots, and 4 people waitlisted. They won't tell us where on the waitlist we are though. They said people who received acceptance letters have until April 14 to accept.

Any other people waiting on either of these schools? The anxiety is all-consuming, as I want nothing more than to get into a school! 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:12 PM, Hopeful28 said:

Quick question: does anyone know how many people applied to the UVic program and how many were accepted? Thanks!

I know that there are 14 seats but I don’t know how many applied!

I applied to the MA CCP at UoT and, sadly, got a rejection letter. I also applied for the MEd though, and the letter only states the MA on the title. The weird way in which UofT lay out their online system though has me wondering if it was a rejection from OISE (and both programs) or just the first choice, the MA, as the letter states. Anyone have any experience with this? Do we get two rejection letters or just the one?

Is anyone on this thread currently enrolled in / has taken McGill's counselling psychology (internship) program? If so, could you please DM me? I have some pressing questions about the registration process for the OCCOQ for anglophone students. TIA! ?

Hi! just wondering if anyone knows how many ppl they accept approx each year to mcgill counseling (internship)? i haven’t gotten a rejection but also no acceptance and i know a few people have gotten them so i was just curious! 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:44 PM, King43867 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I got my acceptance from Western University for Counselling a few weeks ago. However, I also got an acceptance for a Masters of Social Work. The social work program is actually offering essentially free tuition in scholarships and after reviewing the colleges regulations for both professions a social worker is able to perform psychotherapy (after 2 years supervision)  and counsel clients as soon as they graduate; versus the counselling programs in Ontario only gives 200ish hours of practicum and you need 1000 to register to be a psychotherapist and also need to write the EEEP exam to be certified whereas social work you do not need these things. I talked with a social worker, counsellor, psychologist and all say the same: The overlap in the professions is massive and you can get to the same point career wise and see the same clients in the same settings as other mental health professionals. Ultimately this is leading me to reject my offer from Western University for counselling and pursue social work. 

Some of you will be skeptical about this and possibly think it is dumb of me to do social work instead of doing counselling (which admittedly i thought of myself) but the social justice work, the ability to counsel and the opportunity to be at the same spot as a psychotherapist seems too good of an opportunity to pass up, especially with the scholarships. I say this all because like you folks, Ive been on this forum and experienced rejection from schools and been discouraged. However, please take some time to think about other avenues to get to the same spot, occupational therapists, social workers, nurses, counsellors, psychotherapists, and psychologists among some others can all perform a lot of the same tasks. I wanted counselling and thought that was the only route until I learned about social work and their ability to do psychotherapy and it completely changed my view on where my career is going to go and what I value and actually want. 

Good luck to everyone in the coming school year, round of applications and everything else. Im more than willing to answer any questions or concerns or PM me if you want to talk more. 

Congratulations on your offers. Just to add a bit to this, do consider speaking to Social workers in the field as well about their experiences in counselling and psychotherapy. I work with a few and many will tell you that if your passion is in counselling and psychotherapy you will most likely require to do additional diplomas to prepare you for the working directly with clients or patients. Many of the Social Workers I work with had to go back and take certificate courses in CBT, DBT etc. Perhaps if you are strategic you could take this when in the MSW program but typically are not part of your core training is what they seem to suggest. Getting funding for sure helps which most counselling and psychotherapy programs do not seem to offer. Read a bit here from page 8. I think the same is true for nursing and other registered professions that can use the title psychotherapist. I think this required clarification when the CRPO was formed. But this only for Ontario so may be different in other provinces??

https://www.ocswssw.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PG_Performing_Controlled_Act_Psychotherapy_Feb2018.pdf?utm_source=sendinblue&utm_campaign=Important_Announcement_Proclamation_of_the_Controlled_Act_of_Psychotherapy&utm_medium=email  

Edited by Regina77
add

1 hour ago, psychbee said:

Hi! just wondering if anyone knows how many ppl they accept approx each year to mcgill counseling (internship)? i haven’t gotten a rejection but also no acceptance and i know a few people have gotten them so i was just curious! 

I’m in the same boat as you! My application still says in review. I read on their website that they admit 25 people every year. 

On 3/31/2021 at 8:14 PM, 1097 said:

Hi Everyone! 

For those who were waitlisted with Uottawa MED;  I hadn't received any email notification but I logged on to Uozone and I received an offer of admission! 

Congratulations!!!!! I got waitlisted for uOttawa too, but I still haven't received an offer :( Super nervous about this and the wait is driving me nuts! I hope they post their decisions soon!  

For those applying to MEd in counselling psychology at uoft, can you please give me an idea on what is a competitive application. I have A- GPA in my last two years. Unfortunately, my first two years were really bad. My prof scared me more by saying the acceptance was people with a 3.75 cumulative GPA which I definitely do not have. I am very scared on weather I should even apply to this program this coming fall. 

On 3/19/2021 at 8:29 AM, BobbiQueen said:

Anyone on this forum hear from OISE yet? Some folks have gotten waitlisted. 

If you are aware, how much was the approximate GPA of people that got waitlisted. Also do they look only at the final year or cumulatively?