Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

I just got a rejection email from UBC and also anticipate a rejection from SFU since I did not receive their interview invitation. My last hope will be on Uvic and Trinity Western. I'm waitlisted in Trinity Western with condition to complete a few other courses (personality and a specific Abnormal Psyc). If I get into Uvic, then I won't take the courses for Trinity. If not, I guess it is still useful to complete them for future application. 

Applied 5/5 | Interviews 1/5 | Rejected 2/5 | Assumed Rejected 1/5 | Waitlisted 1/5 | Accepted 0/5

Edited by F_J

24 minutes ago, Jumbo3 said:

any updates from UBC M.Ed program? 

Offers went out as have rejections. If you haven't heard yet you may be on their pre waitlist, but I don't know for certain that's the case (I'm in the same boat, I know people who have both got on and been rejected and I've heard neither yet).

13 hours ago, Psychpassion said:

Hey friends,

Has anyone heard any admission/ rejection from McGill internship concentration for 2021 ?

Thank you 

nope i think results posted so far are from project. in the past few years, i think offers came in early apri.

7 hours ago, psychmaybe said:

Offers went out as have rejections. If you haven't heard yet you may be on their pre waitlist, but I don't know for certain that's the case (I'm in the same boat, I know people who have both got on and been rejected and I've heard neither yet).

Yes, I also haven't heard anything yet. 

46 minutes ago, lmw1496 said:

Hey everyone, I got a rejection email last night from UBC for their M.Ed Counselling Psyc program. Not gonna lie, this one stung, but I guess with fewer seats available and more applicants the odds were against me. Congrats to those who got in!

Hey - same here. I feel you, it sucks. 

I'm holding out a shred of hope for SFU, although the program is so incredibly competitive (aren't they all, I suppose). Apparently they had over 300 applicants this year, narrowed down to ~30 interviews, and then down to ~12 places. Crazy! 

2 hours ago, snickerdoodle said:

Hey - same here. I feel you, it sucks. 

I'm holding out a shred of hope for SFU, although the program is so incredibly competitive (aren't they all, I suppose). Apparently they had over 300 applicants this year, narrowed down to ~30 interviews, and then down to ~12 places. Crazy! 

I'm sorry to hear that! Crossing my fingers for you for SFU :) We'll get through this! It's been such a crazy year

By the way we need to make a change about counseling psych in Canada . The competition is meaningless as counselors do not get paid a lot at least in the begining ... Unless they open their own practice and make a name for themselves a counselor gets paid less then a nurse while nursing is one of the easiest programs to get in. It breaks my heart to see how many talented passionate people get rejected from those programs for meaningless reasons .

Hi Everyone, 

I got my acceptance from Western University for Counselling a few weeks ago. However, I also got an acceptance for a Masters of Social Work. The social work program is actually offering essentially free tuition in scholarships and after reviewing the colleges regulations for both professions a social worker is able to perform psychotherapy (after 2 years supervision)  and counsel clients as soon as they graduate; versus the counselling programs in Ontario only gives 200ish hours of practicum and you need 1000 to register to be a psychotherapist and also need to write the EEEP exam to be certified whereas social work you do not need these things. I talked with a social worker, counsellor, psychologist and all say the same: The overlap in the professions is massive and you can get to the same point career wise and see the same clients in the same settings as other mental health professionals. Ultimately this is leading me to reject my offer from Western University for counselling and pursue social work. 

Some of you will be skeptical about this and possibly think it is dumb of me to do social work instead of doing counselling (which admittedly i thought of myself) but the social justice work, the ability to counsel and the opportunity to be at the same spot as a psychotherapist seems too good of an opportunity to pass up, especially with the scholarships. I say this all because like you folks, Ive been on this forum and experienced rejection from schools and been discouraged. However, please take some time to think about other avenues to get to the same spot, occupational therapists, social workers, nurses, counsellors, psychotherapists, and psychologists among some others can all perform a lot of the same tasks. I wanted counselling and thought that was the only route until I learned about social work and their ability to do psychotherapy and it completely changed my view on where my career is going to go and what I value and actually want. 

Good luck to everyone in the coming school year, round of applications and everything else. Im more than willing to answer any questions or concerns or PM me if you want to talk more. 

1 hour ago, King43867 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I got my acceptance from Western University for Counselling a few weeks ago. However, I also got an acceptance for a Masters of Social Work. The social work program is actually offering essentially free tuition in scholarships and after reviewing the colleges regulations for both professions a social worker is able to perform psychotherapy (after 2 years supervision)  and counsel clients as soon as they graduate; versus the counselling programs in Ontario only gives 200ish hours of practicum and you need 1000 to register to be a psychotherapist and also need to write the EEEP exam to be certified whereas social work you do not need these things. I talked with a social worker, counsellor, psychologist and all say the same: The overlap in the professions is massive and you can get to the same point career wise and see the same clients in the same settings as other mental health professionals. Ultimately this is leading me to reject my offer from Western University for counselling and pursue social work. 

Some of you will be skeptical about this and possibly think it is dumb of me to do social work instead of doing counselling (which admittedly i thought of myself) but the social justice work, the ability to counsel and the opportunity to be at the same spot as a psychotherapist seems too good of an opportunity to pass up, especially with the scholarships. I say this all because like you folks, Ive been on this forum and experienced rejection from schools and been discouraged. However, please take some time to think about other avenues to get to the same spot, occupational therapists, social workers, nurses, counsellors, psychotherapists, and psychologists among some others can all perform a lot of the same tasks. I wanted counselling and thought that was the only route until I learned about social work and their ability to do psychotherapy and it completely changed my view on where my career is going to go and what I value and actually want. 

Good luck to everyone in the coming school year, round of applications and everything else. Im more than willing to answer any questions or concerns or PM me if you want to talk more. 

Hello 

Thank you so much for sharing this . May I know in which province we may become psychotherapist with a master in social work ? And may we know please in which university you got accepted for social work ? I think someone told me the same thing but also you need to get those supervised hours ?

THank you 

2 hours ago, King43867 said:

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for sharing this! I've heard this pretty often, that social work is just as good a route to doing this kind of work. 

I wonder if you (or anyone else) have any insight on the competitiveness of social work programs compared to counselling programs? Particularly for those of us who don't have an undergraduate degree in social work, as I know there are often different tracks for this. 

2 hours ago, snickerdoodle said:

Thanks for sharing this! I've heard this pretty often, that social work is just as good a route to doing this kind of work. 

I wonder if you (or anyone else) have any insight on the competitiveness of social work programs compared to counselling programs? Particularly for those of us who don't have an undergraduate degree in social work, as I know there are often different tracks for this. 

They are not competitive at all.

12 hours ago, King43867 said:

Hi Everyone, 

Congrats on your acceptances! I just wanted to add a small anecdote: About a year ago I had a meeting with a clinical psychologist for a class I was in, and they have been working in research/practice for over 40 years. They said that, as a client, if you were to walk into a clinic to get counselling nowadays you would not know whether you are seeing a counselling psychologist, clinical psychologist, or social worker. Their point was there is so much overlap between the fields that often all three lines of education can end up with the same/similar professions!