Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

On 3/12/2021 at 11:17 AM, BobbiQueen said:

Anyone hear from OISE's Counselling and Psychology program? 

Did you get any interview invites from them? I haven't heard anything from them since Nov, even an interview. Should I assume a reject if not getting any interview by this time? Or the interview is not required for admission?

12 hours ago, clinicalhope said:

Did you get any interview invites from them? I haven't heard anything from them since Nov, even an interview. Should I assume a reject if not getting any interview by this time? Or the interview is not required for admission?

there are no interviews for OISE, idk why people think there are

4 hours ago, psychotherapyiscool said:

there are no interviews for OISE, idk why people think there are

It's because there are interviews for the Counselling and Clinical Psychology program at OISE. People are likely confusing the two lol

On 3/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, lmw1496 said:

First, I know how strong the doubts feel right now, but remember that it isn't over until you receive a reject! There's still the possibility that you could be waitlisted and accepted at a later date. I know it's hard to maintain hope, especially when you hear about other acceptances, but try to remember that!

In terms of research experience, it's generally easiest to begin as a volunteer RA and then work your way up to more senior positions (which is the route I took). So, find labs whose research interests match yours, and email the PI or research coordinator to see if there's open positions and show how interested you are in their work! Ideally, if you could work on a project where you could present your results at a conference or in a paper (uni's will often have these specifically for undergrads/recent grads) that would be good cause it'll show initiative and be good practice if you're applying for a research-based master's program.

As for references, I don't see why you couldn't ask the same people to be referees for you again? Especially for academic ones since you'll be out of school, so it's not like you will have taken more courses where you can ask different profs. That being said, if you want to have new ones, maybe think about other profs whose classes you took and ask them? But otherwise I think it'd be fine to ask the same people but have them emphasize the stuff you've done since you applied the first time to show your commitment to the program and career path!

Hi @lmw1496! Thank you for your kind reply to my post!

I received an email from my school saying that there is a opening for RA position at one of their research labs. I applied and got an interview invite! (which I am surprised because they never even replied to my application in the past). The interview is scheduled for this Friday. I have no experience on a RA position interview (I worked as an RA before but it wasn't empirical) so I've been googling some tips on how to prepare for it. If you (or anyone on this forum!!) have any tips that might help me with my preparation, it would be very thankful!! :) :) 

Edited by Jumbo3

3 hours ago, Jumbo3 said:

Hi @lmw1496! Thank you for your kind reply to my post!

I received an email from my school saying that there is a opening for RA position at one of their research labs. I applied and got an interview invite! (which I am surprised because they never even replied to my application in the past). The interview is scheduled for this Friday. I have no experience on a RA position interview (I worked as an RA before but it wasn't empirical) so I've been googling some tips on how to prepare for it. If you (or anyone on this forum!!) have any tips that might help me with my preparation, it would be very thankful!! :) :) 

No problem! Hope it was helpful :) Congrats on getting an interview for an RA position, that's a huge accomplishment in itself!! Here are some tips that have helped me land positions in healthcare/psych labs: 

1. Research the lab thoroughly! Have a good sense of their projects (and especially projects that you might work on), any techniques/technology they use etc. In my lab, the interviewers would often ask people about common modalities we used to see how much they knew about them, and the more they knew the better.
  2. Be prepared to talk about the experiences on your resume and any other material you may have submitted when you initially applied (cover letter etc.), and how those experiences will translate to the RA position. Also, be prepared to talk about your future plans (e.g. where you see yourself in 5 years) and how this position will help you get there
  3. Show genuine interest in what the lab's doing! This could include their overarching research goals but also the day to day tasks you'll probably be doing as an RA
  4. You may be asked behavioural and situational questions where you're given a scenario and you have to decide the course of action on the spot. You can't really prepare for these questions, so just go with your gut!
  5. Prepare questions to ask at the end of the interview! I like to have several questions that are targeted toward specific people in the lab. For example, I may ask the PI and/or grad students about their research whereas I may ask a research tech about the day-to-day operations.
  6. Send a thank-you email to your interviewers within 24 hours of the interview and reaffirm your interest in the position. Although, since your interview's on Friday, I'd aim to send it before the end of Friday!

In addition to these points, I'd also probably brush up on answers to common general interview questions (e.g. what are your strengths/weaknesses etc). I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck, you're gonna crush it!!

I just realized that SFU may have already sent out notifications to their short-listed candidates. Does anyone know if they would send out notices of rejection around the same time?

11 hours ago, wecandoit said:

I just realized that SFU may have already sent out notifications to their short-listed candidates. Does anyone know if they would send out notices of rejection around the same time?

What makes you think that? Have you heard of anyone who has received a response? I know it was mentioned they say we should get a response by mid March...

I also received my acceptance from McGill in the Project steam! I will likely be declining because I have an offer from my first choice program, so hopefully that frees up a spot for someone on the waitlist :) And please feel free to DM me for the POI!

14 hours ago, wecandoit said:

I don't know if anyone has heard from SFU yet. There is another forum specifically for SFU and UBC and no one has mentioned anything about any acceptances or rejections on there. 

Here is the link to that forum: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/128076-sfu-and-ubc-counselling-psychology-the-waiting-game/

7 hours ago, Gh18 said:

What makes you think that? Have you heard of anyone who has received a response? I know it was mentioned they say we should get a response by mid March...

I'm thinking this mostly because we're nearing April! I haven't heard of anyone receiving a response (either a rejection or shortlist notification) quite yet. If you look at the acceptance procedure document from 2019, it says that short-listed applicants will usually be notified by late February to mid-March... just feeling antsy about things. 

5 hours ago, hopfefulllistener said:

I don't know if anyone has heard from SFU yet. There is another forum specifically for SFU and UBC and no one has mentioned anything about any acceptances or rejections on there. 

Here is the link to that forum: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/128076-sfu-and-ubc-counselling-psychology-the-waiting-game/

Haha, that's my forum! Thank you. I guess I'll just keep an eye out here and my own inbox about my application status... 

Question for the group: how likely do we think it is that these programs contact our referees or LOR writers? I ask because I applied to UVic back in November and there is no interview for this program and it just seems so weird to me that they would extend offers without doing any sort of background check. Does anyone have similar experiences with this, where they applied and were made an offer without anyone contacting their referees?

8 hours ago, Samantha123 said:

Question for the group: how likely do we think it is that these programs contact our referees or LOR writers? I ask because I applied to UVic back in November and there is no interview for this program and it just seems so weird to me that they would extend offers without doing any sort of background check. Does anyone have similar experiences with this, where they applied and were made an offer without anyone contacting their referees?

Most programs have your references upload their letters to an online system, so they would read them that way. It's unlikely the programs reach out to each referee one by one. 

FYI, I heard word from the administrator that UBC received over 200 applications this year and only offered 20 places in total due to retiring staff, with this trend (of less places than in previous years) being anticipated to continue. With them also adhering to the policy of 50% of attendees being those with education qualifications, you're looking at maybe 10 places for those who aren't also teachers. Offers have already gone out and they are waiting on the responses to those for waitlisting/rejections. 

18 minutes ago, psychmaybe said:

FYI, I heard word from the administrator that UBC received over 200 applications this year and only offered 20 places in total due to retiring staff, with this trend (of less places than in previous years) being anticipated to continue. With them also adhering to the policy of 50% of attendees being those with education qualifications, you're looking at maybe 10 places for those who aren't also teachers. Offers have already gone out and they are waiting on the responses to those for waitlisting/rejections. 

Thanks so much for this information.

It is disheartening that there are so few spots available in counselling programs - not just at UBC, but at many/most of the major public universities in Canada. Particularly now, with the pandemic highlighting the need for mental health resources, you would think training professionals in this field would be a priority. 

Sigh. 

Ah, so it sounds like UBC has a rolling acceptance in a sense? So, for example, if 5 of the 20 people accepted choose another school, then 5 spots will open up for the top 5 students on the waitlist? I guess there's still hope.

Does anyone know when UBC wants a response from their accepted applicants? 

21 minutes ago, snickerdoodle said:

Thanks so much for this information.

It is disheartening that there are so few spots available in counselling programs - not just at UBC, but at many/most of the major public universities in Canada. Particularly now, with the pandemic highlighting the need for mental health resources, you would think training professionals in this field would be a priority. 

Sigh. 

Yeah, it seems to be a common problem with academia in general. Lots of boomers who for many years have blocked younger people from taking positions, all now retiring at once without replacements but having, through blocking younger ones from progressing in that field, few to replace them. I know many post docs who bailed on academia after constantly finding dead ends occupied by people in their 60's or older refusing to let them progress until they retire. Not to mention mental health in general is terribly funded and marginalized but with very, very narrow paths to being able to actually work in the field. It's very tough and needs seriously overhauling. 

37 minutes ago, wecandoit said:

Ah, so it sounds like UBC has a rolling acceptance in a sense? So, for example, if 5 of the 20 people accepted choose another school, then 5 spots will open up for the top 5 students on the waitlist? I guess there's still hope.

Does anyone know when UBC wants a response from their accepted applicants? 

The deadline to accept an offer for admission at UBC is April 15th. Potentially a very long wait for some applicants. Although I would hope that most people would accept/decline sooner than the deadline!