Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

Hello everyone! I made a FB student group for those who will/are attending Graduate studies in Psychology at the University of Ottawa. Personally, I will be there Fall 2021 for Clinical Psychology. All Psych Grad students are welcome! Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/790373851578737

Please feel free to share with others as well :)

2 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Has anyone heard whether courses are going to be in-person or online this fall? 

That heavily depends on the school I think. One of my profs this morning mentioned that UBC is looking to be fully in-person this September. U of A is still holding out until April to make a decision. I read McGill's website out of curiosity and it looks like they're trying to push for mostly in-person with the large lecture hall classes still being remote.

Given that all the provinces seem to be at different paces in regards to vaccine distribution, the fact that it varies so much between schools and lots of it is still up in the air isn't surprising to me.

Edited by carlrogersfan98

7 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

That heavily depends on the school I think. One of my profs this morning mentioned that UBC is looking to be fully in-person this September. U of A is still holding out until April to make a decision. I read McGill's website out of curiosity and it looks like they're trying to push for mostly in-person with the large lecture hall classes still being remote.

Given that all the provinces seem to be at different paces in regards to vaccine distribution, the fact that it varies so much between schools and lots of it is still up in the air isn't surprising to me.

I received an email from U of L today that their courses are going to be online. I thought this was very early to announce this, and given the small cohort size I was quite surprised (and sad to hear this). I'm curious how other programs will approach this. 

Edited by Edge98

2 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

I received an email from U of L today that their courses are going to be online. I thought this was very early to announce this, and given the small cohort size I was quite surprised (and sad to hear this). I'm curious how other programs will approach this or whether U of L is going to be an odd one out while the rest are in-person. 

Yeah, that is super early. Honestly U of L probably did that in light of Alberta's current ban on indoor gatherings (with few exceptions). Kind of odd that U of L decided so fast meanwhile U of A is still waiting and they're a much larger school...

I'm registered at UCalgary and the schedule was released and each of my courses have a designated room so I'm assuming will end up in person? Who knows, I know things are subject to change fast and it is easier to make the arrangement plans for in person and make sure the rooms required are available and switch to zoom if need be. 

2 hours ago, CateFace said:

I'm registered at UCalgary and the schedule was released and each of my courses have a designated room so I'm assuming will end up in person? Who knows, I know things are subject to change fast and it is easier to make the arrangement plans for in person and make sure the rooms required are available and switch to zoom if need be. 

I'm currently a U of A student and that was the case for our fall/winter courses but things switched to remote. I think that's in the event they do decide to go forward with in person classes but of course there is no guarantee

McGill applicants - if you used the communication tool in uApply, do you get an email when you've received a response or do you need to keep checking the portal? I asked a question and I log into uApply like 5 times a day to check but if I'm just going to get an email notifying me they answered I might as well stop lol

21 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

McGill applicants - if you used the communication tool in uApply, do you get an email when you've received a response or do you need to keep checking the portal? I asked a question and I log into uApply like 5 times a day to check but if I'm just going to get an email notifying me they answered I might as well stop lol

You should get an email letting you know there was a response in your portal and then you have to log in to read it.

14 minutes ago, april21 said:

Has anyone heard back about an interview at SFU? Should I assume I didn't get an interview at this point?

Any updates on UBC?

I'm pretty sure SFU hasn't sent out interview invites yet, and UBC hasn't sent out offers. My understanding is both universities typically do so in mid-March so we should expect to hear back soon.

11 minutes ago, counspsycapp said:

I'm pretty sure SFU hasn't sent out interview invites yet, and UBC hasn't sent out offers. My understanding is both universities typically do so in mid-March so we should expect to hear back soon.

I've heard the same! I applied a few years back and was rejected March 11, so I was curious whether interview invites would go out earlier. 

3 minutes ago, april21 said:

I've heard the same! I applied a few years back and was rejected March 11, so I was curious whether interview invites would go out earlier. 

Is this regarding SFU or UBC? 

Just now, Jumbo3 said:

Is this regarding SFU or UBC? 

SFU... I double checked and it was actually March 12 (2019). 

UBC sent out rejections last year March 17 apparently. I'm refreshing my email every ten minutes these days!!

4 minutes ago, april21 said:

SFU... I double checked and it was actually March 12 (2019). 

UBC sent out rejections last year March 17 apparently. I'm refreshing my email every ten minutes these days!!

I am going crazy constantly refreshing my email/checking my application status. I really hope we hear back soon. Good luck :)

4 minutes ago, counspsycapp said:

I just received an offer from UBC! Ahhhh! Good luck everyone and hoping you hear back soon too :) 

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you also get short-listed to SFU, what do you think you'll do? I've been soooo antsy.

6 minutes ago, wecandoit said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you also get short-listed to SFU, what do you think you'll do? I've been soooo antsy.

Thank you!! Ahhh I’m not sure. I’m going for the thesis based route and there is a professor at ubc whose research interests are more closely aligned with mine so it’s likely I will accept the offer.