HGSE 2021

On 11/4/2020 at 9:11 AM, Beezkneez08 said:

Also, I know that reaching out to professors you want to study under is encouraged in some schools. Does anyone know if this is encouraged at HGSE? And if so, what kind of questions are good to ask?? I feel like I've done so much research already that I'm not sure what to ask them specifically (but I'm sure there is more stuff to learn about!)

I reached out to several of the professors that were listed under my program as well as others who were teaching courses that I thought I might be interested in.  Almost all of them responded but mostly refereed me to the admissions Dept for admissions/applications questions.  Thus if u want to engage a professor in a more in-depth dialogue maybe asking about the field of study they are connected to, and that u are interested in, might be a good way to go.  One of the professors and I actually had a video chat. It was a great experience.  She ended up talking to me about the school culture as well as my admissions process.  

12 minutes ago, JohnSJr said:

I reached out to several of the professors that were listed under my program as well as others who were teaching courses that I thought I might be interested in.  Almost all of them responded but mostly refereed me to the admissions Dept for admissions/applications questions.  Thus if u want to engage a professor in a more in-depth dialogue maybe asking about the field of study they are connected to, and that u are interested in, might be a good way to go.  One of the professors and I actually had a video chat. It was a great experience.  She ended up talking to me about the school culture as well as my admissions process.  

So good - wish I had done that!

I sent an email two days ago to the admissions team at HGSE because I wanted to add some documentation to my application. I also asked about the decision and here's what I was told:  

Thank you for your email. Applications are currently under review and we will send out admissions notifications by the end of March to all applicants.

Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

I was a bit taken aback by it because I was expecting the decision by next Friday, March 5th. 

3 hours ago, caxiatec said:

I sent an email two days ago to the admissions team at HGSE because I wanted to add some documentation to my application. I also asked about the decision and here's what I was told:  

Thank you for your email. Applications are currently under review and we will send out admissions notifications by the end of March to all applicants.

Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

I was a bit taken aback by it because I was expecting the decision by next Friday, March 5th. 

I know from reading past threads that they typically advertise sending notifications by the end of March, but then it ends up being early March. With that said, it might take longer this year since they have brand new programs with different review parameters.  :( 

@caxiatecI personally do not think the end of March would be a realistic time for decisions to be sent... the national commitment date is 4.15 and if the decisions was released by the end of March and we were offered admission, there would not be enough time for us to think about which program we are going to attend. 

4 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

@caxiatecI personally do not think the end of March would be a realistic time for decisions to be sent... the national commitment date is 4.15 and if the decisions was released by the end of March and we were offered admission, there would not be enough time for us to think about which program we are going to attend. 

Actually this makes a lot of sense. So we hope for next Friday....

@xyzxyz123 you are right, the commitment date is usually by April 15.  That is also the date to send in the commitment deposit.  Admissions decisions have to be sent out in a timely manner so that admitted students can make a decision of whether or not to attend.  If the admitted student decides to attend HGSE, the student can send their deposit and secure their place in the upcoming class.  I hope all applicants to HGSE receive a notice of admission by this coming Friday.  

Edited by MsWonderP

Hey guys, I just would like to gather your thoughts regarding the number of the applicants for this year’s admission cycle. Would you guys think the number of the Ed.M. programs has increased or decreased or remained the same comparing to the previous years? From my personal perspectives, although the number of many grad schools including business schools along with law schools have increased, I don’t think the Ed school would have had more applicants comparing to other previous seasons. The first reason is that education isn’t that popular or competitive compare to business or law - many people would like to get a business or law degree during a recession to enrich their academic achievements, and I don’t personally think they would pay the money for an Ed.M. just because they don’t have anything to do during a recession. The second reason is that at least for HGSE, license isn’t a thing anymore during this pandemic and I believe many people who wanted to apply for HGSE would want to get a license upon graduation. Additionally, some people say that since HGSE doesn’t accept doctoral program applications for this season so there might be an increase for the Ed.M. I don’t think it is valid because many people who wanted to apply for a doctoral degree may have already had a master’s in education, and some other prospective applicants may not value the Ed.M. as much as a doctoral degree, especially because they need to pay for an Ed.M. while completing a doctoral degree is completely free. Therefore, my guess is that the number of applicants may have remained the same or slightly lowered comparing to the previous years. I understand that GRE isn’t a hard requirement anymore so it may encourage more applicants to apply, but I think the value of the program as well as its costs may play into a more significant role when a person decides whether or not to apply for a program.

Please let me know what you think, and please pray for the best regarding the results!

2 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Hey guys, I just would like to gather your thoughts regarding the number of the applicants for this year’s admission cycle. Would you guys think the number of the Ed.M. programs has increased or decreased or remained the same comparing to the previous years? From my personal perspectives, although the number of many grad schools including business schools along with law schools have increased, I don’t think the Ed school would have had more applicants comparing to other previous seasons. The first reason is that education isn’t that popular or competitive compare to business or law - many people would like to get a business or law degree during a recession to enrich their academic achievements, and I don’t personally think they would pay the money for an Ed.M. just because they don’t have anything to do during a recession. The second reason is that at least for HGSE, license isn’t a thing anymore during this pandemic and I believe many people who wanted to apply for HGSE would want to get a license upon graduation. Additionally, some people say that since HGSE doesn’t accept doctoral program applications for this season so there might be an increase for the Ed.M. I don’t think it is valid because many people who wanted to apply for a doctoral degree may have already had a master’s in education, and some other prospective applicants may not value the Ed.M. as much as a doctoral degree, especially because they need to pay for an Ed.M. while completing a doctoral degree is completely free. Therefore, my guess is that the number of applicants may have remained the same or slightly lowered comparing to the previous years. I understand that GRE isn’t a hard requirement anymore so it may encourage more applicants to apply, but I think the value of the program as well as its costs may play into a more significant role when a person decides whether or not to apply for a program.

Please let me know what you think, and please pray for the best regarding the results!

That's an interesting perspective!!

3 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

I hope you’re right! I definitely agree when it comes to the doctoral program. The waiving of the GRE requirement certainly encouraged me to apply since my scores weren’t outstanding... I’m sure there are others  in that category. The program I applied to at Penn shared that they have seen a record breaking number of applicants so far and still counting... hoping that’s just a coincidence and not a trend of more people applying because of the recession. 

@hmj598the tricky thing about Harvard is that people have the mindset that it is harvard so they may even be afraid that they are definitely not getting in and they ended up not applying for this reason. Additionally, may I ask what’s the deadline for the program you applied at Penn? Is it as early as HGSE? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

@hmj598the tricky thing about Harvard is that people have the mindset that it is harvard so they may even be afraid that they are definitely not getting in and they ended up not applying for this reason. Additionally, may I ask what’s the deadline for the program you applied at Penn? Is it as early as HGSE? Thanks!

That’s true! They have a February regular decision deadline and rolling admissions after as space permits 

@hmj598i believe a late deadline may be the reason for a record breaking number of applications to happen, and to be honest, an early January (HGSE) deadline might be too early for many people (many of us submitted the application until the very last minute including myself haha). I am thinking about one advantage of the restructuring of programs at HGSE for us might be that now there are only four programs instead of a dozens of programs so that each program may be able to accept more people... btw, do you mind sharing what program did you apply to, and your stats (e.g. GPA, what kind of undergrad school did you go to, etc.”)? Thanks! 

Additionally, I have some friends who initially wanted to apply for HGSE’s programs but they didn’t end up apply because of different reasons such as they think the program will still be conducted online in reality, United States is now the epicenter of the pandemic, etc. I believe there are people who are encouraged to apply given the situations caused by the pandemic, and there are people discouraged by certain reasons caused by the pandemic as well. 

6 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

@hmj598i believe a late deadline may be the reason for a record breaking number of applications to happen, and to be honest, an early January (HGSE) deadline might be too early for many people (many of us submitted the application until the very last minute including myself haha). I am thinking about one advantage of the restructuring of programs at HGSE for us might be that now there are only four programs instead of a dozens of programs so that each program may be able to accept more people... btw, do you mind sharing what program did you apply to, and your stats (e.g. GPA, what kind of undergrad school did you go to, etc.”)? Thanks! 

Additionally, I have some friends who initially wanted to apply for HGSE’s programs but they didn’t end up apply because of different reasons such as they think the program will still be conducted online in reality, United States is now the epicenter of the pandemic, etc. I believe there are people who are encouraged to apply given the situations caused by the pandemic, and there are people discouraged by certain reasons caused by the pandemic as well. 

I applied to ELOE with a concentration in global, international, and comparative education. 
Undergrad school: high ranking public 

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

Undergrad activities: student government president, Honors college, original research 

LORs: University president, nonprofit CEO, current boss 

1 minute ago, hmj598 said:

I applied to ELOE with a concentration in global, international, and comparative education. 
Undergrad school: high ranking public 

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

Undergrad activities: student government president, Honors college, original research 

LORs: University president, nonprofit CEO, current boss 

Wow! There are so many ELOE applicants according to the people participated in this thread! I’m wondering that is ELOE a program more appropriate for the people who have had some sort of entrepreneurial/leadership roles? I was afraid of this so that I ended up applying for another program. 

Your stats is amazing, especially for the LOR!

3 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Wow! There are so many ELOE applicants according to the people participated in this thread! I’m wondering that is ELOE a program more appropriate for the people who have had some sort of entrepreneurial/leadership roles? I was afraid of this so that I ended up applying for another program. 

Your stats is amazing, especially for the LOR!

Thank you! I applied to the specialized studies program when they opened admissions in the summer, but I think ELOE is actually a better fit (fingers crossed). What program did you end up applying to? 

2 minutes ago, hmj598 said:

Thank you! I applied to the specialized studies program when they opened admissions in the summer, but I think ELOE is actually a better fit (fingers crossed). What program did you end up applying to? 

I mentioned this on an earlier page - I applied to the Education Policy & Analysis (EPA) program. I thought the program I applied to would also be very popular, but it seems like no one in this thread has applied to the program so far. 

Hey everyone, I was wondering how many people in this thread applied to the master's program without much experience directly from undergrad? I have decent academic background but I am a bit afraid that my lack of professional and full time experience might earn me a rejection :(

17 minutes ago, hales1013 said:

Hey everyone, I was wondering how many people in this thread applied to the master's program without much experience directly from undergrad? I have decent academic background but I am a bit afraid that my lack of professional and full time experience might earn me a rejection :(

There are actually a lot of people who didn’t have much professional experiences. However, I think it depends on specific programs. Which program did you apply to? 

46 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

There are actually a lot of people who didn’t have much professional experiences. However, I think it depends on specific programs. Which program did you apply to? 

I applied to the Learning Design, Innovation, and Technology program!

1 minute ago, hales1013 said:

I applied to the Learning Design, Innovation, and Technology program!

For lacking in professional experiences, did you mean by lack in education-related experiences or professional experiences at large? For education-related experiences, I believe students don’t need that many education-related experiences but I have a friend who is applying to this program and my friend has abundant amount of education-related experiences. I believe it would be beneficial if you had some technology-related experiences. 

1 minute ago, xyzxyz123 said:

For lacking in professional experiences, did you mean by lack in education-related experiences or professional experiences at large? For education-related experiences, I believe students don’t need that many education-related experiences but I have a friend who is applying to this program and my friend has abundant amount of education-related experiences. I believe it would be beneficial if you had some technology-related experiences. 

I have had technology-related educational experiences but almost all of my professional experiences are during my summer internships. Not sure if that would count as much as a full time job, but I guess it's better than nothing. Fingers crossed!