HGSE 2021

1 hour ago, mjsmith said:

@Beezkneez08 Did you apply for a concentration too?

Yes, I applied to "Global, International, and Comparative Education"! I'm an international student so this seemed the most appropriate for me vis a vis the program - specifically, seeing how to design equitable educational experiences in developing countries. I can only guess that's how I'll marry the program with the concentration though. I wish they already had a clearer program/course outline at the time of application!

2 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Yes, I applied to "Global, International, and Comparative Education"! I'm an international student so this seemed the most appropriate for me vis a vis the program - specifically, seeing how to design equitable educational experiences in developing countries. I can only guess that's how I'll marry the program with the concentration though. I wish they already had a clearer program/course outline at the time of application!

It definitely was tough not having a really clear outline of each program and concentration (though I was glad to they posted some information on the website in December). It'll be interesting to see how they mesh the different programs with the concentrations.....but hoping that we'll be able to see how it is done in person at HGSE as students there this fall! ?

Edited by mjsmith

5 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Same here. I did not apply for a concentration because they were not clear to me. Guess what? Your interests are same as mine: Designing equitable experiences in developing countries (using tech). 

4 minutes ago, caxiatec said:

Same here. I did not apply for a concentration because they were not clear to me. Guess what? Your interests are same as mine: Designing equitable experiences in developing countries (using tech). 

Awesome, @caxiatec! When I first learned about it, back when it was still TIE, I thought it was perfect for what I want to do. This program is why I decided to apply for masters programs in education at all actually, instead of going the "traditional" route of business school (for someone in my profession). 

I hope we get to meet each other in person through the program!

3 minutes ago, Beezkneez08 said:

Awesome, @caxiatec! When I first learned about it, back when it was still TIE, I thought it was perfect for what I want to do. This program is why I decided to apply for masters programs in education at all actually, instead of going the "traditional" route of business school (for someone in my profession). 

I hope we get to meet each other in person through the program!

I hope we get to meet for real. I also applied to UPenn and TC Columbia. I noticed you were asking some time about mailing the professors? I guess it is late now. Just wanted to share that I did mail one of the professors I was interested in his research work and he mailed me back. I explained that I was interested in his research work and I asked him to suggest articles and other stuff I could read. Well, fingers crossed till March. I'm really not expecting to be admitted, but I'm glad I applied.

I hope we get to meet for real. I also applied to UPenn and TC Columbia. I noticed you were asking some time about mailing the professors? I guess it is late now. Just wanted to share that I did mail one of the professors I was interested in his research work and he mailed me back. I explained that I was interested in his research work and I asked him to suggest articles and other stuff I could read. Well, fingers crossed till March. I'm really not expecting to be admitted, but I'm glad I applied.

Same. My GPA isn't strong at all and I ended up not submitting GRE scores, so that lessens any confidence I have in getting in. But I'm really hoping my SOP and LORs pull through. I want decision day to get here already so at least I'll have peace of mind whatever the outcome. But we should definitely feel proud of ourselves simply for applying. :) 

Edited by Beezkneez08

Also - that was a really good idea emailing one of the professors!

5 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

I don't know for sure but they could've left it intentionally vague to identify candidates whose educational goals align with their course values. 

Edited by LJ13

Wow I can't believe I just found this site. I also applied to hgse this year for the first time. It seems like all of you guys are such great candidates and I hope we get accepted! I applied for the LDIT program, but not really expecting to get in because because I'm only 24(two years work experience) and I saw on Peterson's that the average age is 28.. but it's worth a shot! 

I was wondering if anyone knew anything on the status of in person classes next fall. I assume that they are hoping classes will be in person, but I haven't seen any official statements on it yet. 

On 2/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, LJ13 said:

I don't know for sure but they could've left it intentionally vague to identify candidates whose educational goals align with their course values. 

I honestly think they left it vague because it's still under development. If we all get in, then I anticipate they'll use our incoming class to fine-tune everything as they go. I'm sure they're using our applications and interpretations of the information they did give us to help chart the programs' paths, and I think you're right about them using what we say in our applications to take people who overall align with their values, broadly speaking.

It's exciting because we'll really get to (intentionally or not) shape how their new format evolves for future years, and the fact that it does seem undefined right now will hopefully give us the ability to make the experience what we want it to be. The lack of concrete information did make the SOP a little hard to write, though.

1 hour ago, Trytryagain said:

Wow I can't believe I just found this site. I also applied to hgse this year for the first time. It seems like all of you guys are such great candidates and I hope we get accepted! I applied for the LDIT program, but not really expecting to get in because because I'm only 24(two years work experience) and I saw on Peterson's that the average age is 28.. but it's worth a shot! 

I was wondering if anyone knew anything on the status of in person classes next fall. I assume that they are hoping classes will be in person, but I haven't seen any official statements on it yet. 

There's nothing on their website about it being remote in the fall as of now. They made their final decision to hold 2020-2021 courses remote in early July, so if they're going to make an announcement about fall 2021-2022, it may be around July as well.

Regarding age, average means there's going to be people both below and above, so don't count yourself out because of your age!! I know people who have gone to HGSE at ages 22 and 23. By the way, I'm going to be 32 by the time fall 2021 comes around. Your age and my age perfectly represents the average ? 

8 hours ago, Trytryagain said:

Yes, they're currently planning for in-person classes with the caveat that of course it will depend on what the situation is like closer to start of semester. This was echoed in the virtual sessions I attended.

11 hours ago, Trytryagain said:

9 hours ago, McPerson said:

Regarding age, average means there's going to be people both below and above, so don't count yourself out because of your age!! I know people who have gone to HGSE at ages 22 and 23. By the way, I'm going to be 32 by the time fall 2021 comes around. Your age and my age perfectly represents the average ? 

Given that I will be 39 when classes will start in the fall, I'm hoping I'll be able to help balance out the average age of the group for all the bright young minds that will be there (like you, @Trytryagain) ?

13 hours ago, Trytryagain said:

Hi glad to have you here. We are all keeping alive. They are hoping to have in person classes. One of the admissions reps confirmed it during a 1-1 session I attended. However, they are not sure yet. So let's see..

@Trytryagain If it makes you feel any better, I am super nervous about my age too, especially after seeing the averages. I am currently 20 and will be 21 by the time the program starts; I definitely feel like my age will be a huge red flag during their admissions process, despite my experience and stats. The average entering age for my major at NYU is similar to HGSE though and I just got accepted. 

Whatever is supposed to happen will happen! Averages are only averages. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, CaitlynM said:

@Trytryagain If it makes you feel any better, I am super nervous about my age too, especially after seeing the averages. I am currently 20 and will be 21 by the time the program starts; I definitely feel like my age will be a huge red flag during their admissions process, despite my experience and stats. The average entering age for my major at NYU is similar to HGSE though and I just got accepted. 

Whatever is supposed to happen will happen! Averages are only averages. Good luck! 

Congrats on the acceptance offer from NYU, @CaitlynM! So exciting! Fingers crossed for more good news from HGSE and the rest of your applications soon!

Edited by mjsmith

6 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

Wow congrats! That is so great that you got into NYU, hopefully a good omen for HGSE as well. I feel like the days are getting longer as March approaches hahaha.. At least February is a short month! 

Hello everyone.  

I thought I'd pop in and see if many others were anxiously awaiting their admissions results.  I read a few of you are concerned about your young age.  I'm concerned about my age as well, though for opposite reasons.  I'm in the middle of a career change at age 45.  I applied to LDIT and  hope to focus on early literacy and education entertainment.

Just thought I'd say hello and wish you all the best of luck.  Two weeks and we might know!

2 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

How certain is it that we will hear decisions the first Friday in March??? I know that has been HGSE's general trend, but I am not sure if that is only for PhD applicants or for Master's, as well. Everything is so vague! 

Hi @CaitlynM While it is possible it could be different his year for HGSE (and with COVID, I guess anything is possible), I just went back and checked though the old HGSE threads here on GradCafe and confirmed that it has been the 1st Friday in March every year since March 2013. Fingers crossed HGSE keeps up the same timeline for sending out decisions.

@CaitlynM the decisions for doctoral degree programs at HGSE had always been released in February but not March as you described (however, the admissions for doctoral degree programs at HGSE has been suspended for Fall 2021). The Friday of the first day of March has always been the day for Ed.M. decisions to be released. I am not certain if this year would be the same as I’m not an HGSE admission officer but I am positive that it should still be the same.