HGSE 2021

Hi everyone,

Adding in my stats here because these forums have been a great help in the application process. Will start paying it forward as early as now!

Concentration/Program: M.Ed in Learning Design, Innovation, and Technology (planning to take the concentration "Global, International, and Comparative Education")
GRE: not yet taken although I'm planning to even if it's optional this year
Work experience: Total of 8 years in marketing. Currently lead marketing at a non-profit. Have also been running my own company for the past 4 years in the edtech space.
Undergrad: BA in Business from the UK (although I am from SEAsia and all my work experience above is in my home country, not the UK)
Undergrad GPA: Upper second class degree, which translates to 3.22/4.0
Research: not sure if this counts but I did a lot of research over the years for the marketing strategies of different brands?
LORs: 1 from current boss, 1 from former boss, 1 from the director of a school I work with in my startup 
Other schools: Penn GSE, TC Columbia, NYU Steinhardt

Would love to get any feedback on the following:

1. I have been out of school for so long (finished undergrad in 2012) so none of my LORs are from a professor... I've been told this is okay but am wondering if there's still some sort of bias towards an academic reference?

2. I'm trying to overcome my low GPA by getting a good GRE score. What do you think I need to counter the GPA?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone. I'm rooting for us all!!!

Edited by Beezkneez08

Also, I know that reaching out to professors you want to study under is encouraged in some schools. Does anyone know if this is encouraged at HGSE? And if so, what kind of questions are good to ask?? I feel like I've done so much research already that I'm not sure what to ask them specifically (but I'm sure there is more stuff to learn about!)

• 1 month later...

Hello again all!

Been meaning to post my stats for some time (like others, I'm hoping to help pay it forward regardless of how the process goes for me). Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or critiques are welcome.

Concentration/Program: Ed.M. in Human Development and Education (planning to take the concentration "Higher Education")
GRE: V: 158, Q: 156, AW: 4.0 (Took it last year, not planning to re-take)
Work experience: Several years working research (some in biomedical, some in education). Previously worked as an editorial assistant on an academic journal. Also previously worked as a data analyst at a university. Currently working as a program coordinator at a university.
Undergrad: BA in History from a public university in the United States
Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (over a decade since I finished my undergrad degree)
Graduate: 
MA in Biomedical Sciences (from a private university in the United States), MS in Counseling (from a public university in the United States), a few other graduate courses after completing both of these degrees. (Over a decade since I finished first master's degree, 5 years since finishing more recent master's degree).
Graduate GPA: Between a 3.5 and 3.6 (haven't calculated it exactly between the two different graduate degrees and the other classes I've taken)
Research: Several years of research in various areas (mix of biomedical research and education research). Over 30 presentations (both at different conferences as well as other invited presentations). A handful of publications (mix of both peer-reviewed journal articles and book/monograph chapters, though only one of these as the first author). One manuscript currently under review with a journal. A couple of other works currently in progress. Research thesis for one of my previous master's degrees. Have received a couple of small grants from professional associations for previous research.
LORs: 1 from a faculty member who I did research with (some of which has been published), 1 from a different faculty member who has invited be to be a guest lecture in their doctoral class the past 3 years, and 1 from someone that I serve on a professional board with (they are the chair of that board and a VP at a university).
SOP: Talk about my past experiences and how they've brought to me to my current interest (specifically looking at how students in higher education environments learn and develop outside of formal classroom environment). Also talk about what I feel HGSE can offer me and what I can also (hopefully) contribute as part of the community there.
Other schools: It is HGSE or bust for me.

Fingers crossed for us all on this journey! I've found the community helpful the other times I've applied to HGSE (this will be my 3rd application now in the past 6 years), and happy to help out however I can. Good luck to us all!

Edited by mjsmith
Couple of typos.....oops!

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PhD2Be2020 said:

Still nervous and excited after submitting my application on Tuesday! Any idea when Harvard will be sending out decisions?

If they stick to what they've done in the past, they will release decisions in the afternoon of the first Friday in March (March 5)!

9 hours ago, Kylee said:

Do y'all think that the new program structures will change the number of admitted students? 

I asked this in one of the virtual sessions and they said they would be sticking to roughly the same amount of students (~600 I believe)

18 hours ago, Beezkneez08 said:

I asked this in one of the virtual sessions and they said they would be sticking to roughly the same amount of students (~600 I believe)

Thank you for confirming this! Glad they'll have a similar number of accepted Ed.M. students. ?

On 8/12/2020 at 4:14 PM, graciasadios said:

I graduate from HGSE SLP in 2017. I was very active on the HGSE 2016 and 2017 threads. Here is my statement of purpose for anyone to consult. Here is some admissions data I mined from the many years of HGSE threads on this forum. If these documents are helpful to you, please give me an upvote so that I will know all the hours that I spent will have been worthwhile in helping myself and others achieve our dreams.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I really wish I saw all this before turning in my application. Well, we can only hope for the best. Best of luck to each one that applied!

Hello everyone!

I am sharing my stats with you guys. If you are alum of HGSE please offer me your thoughts if my stats may or may not help me gain acceptance to HGSE; if you are applicants as I am, let’s all pray for the best. 

Program applied: I applied for the Ed.M in Education Policy & Analysis (EPA) program ( I have heard that this program attracts many students with relatively low educational experiences including myself?)

Domestic/International: International

Undergrad: attended several colleges in the US. Freshman year: top 100 nationally ranked institution GPA: 3.412/4.0; Sophomore year: Top 60 2.839/4.0 (I know it is quite low and it was majorly because of a D that I received); summer session (1 class, 4.0/4.0); last two years at a Top 30 nationally ranked institution, junior year 3.78, senior year 3.5 (last two years combined is 3.65).

Grad: I’m a current master’s candidate at a top 10 nationally ranked university (Ivy League). Fall 2020 was my first semester - I took three courses, and 3.5/4.0 GPA.

Experience: two top-tier consulting internships, one banking internship, one technology internship. 

Education-related Volunteering: two teaching/mentoring experiences to students in high school and elementary school. I’m also on one of the committees of my university’s University Secretary for the year of 2020-2021.

Statement of Purpose: I believe it should be a competitive one as I have let several of my professors and HGSE alums read my sop and they said it was well-written. However, it is Harvard, so I believe there are many people who can write a good sop. I mentioned that I would like to become a policy consultant to address and solve problems in education, including education inequality. I also mentioned that my experiences (international, cross-cultural learning environment) and volunteering experiences have led me to be able to realize the importance of education, and there still are a lot of people waiting for the chance to be in classroom and learn. I also talked about my current master’s experience to address the question “how do you value a graduate program”, and I also stated that the graduate program with my prior internship experiences in consulting would be helpful for me to become a comprehensive consultant in the future.... lastly, I talked about the curriculum (interdisciplinary and sophisticated, four foundational courses), how Harvard at large can benefit me, and my general qualifications (perseverance, learning curiosity, and dedication to the improvement of education. 

Recommendations: none of my recommendations came from professors teach in the field of education nor in professional practices but some of my professional had industry experiences (non-education). They are business school professors all from my undergrad degree-granting institution, and the business school is ranked very top in the nation.

I am still kind of worried that my low gpa in the sophomore year as well as lack in professional experiences in education may be a concern for the admissions committee when they are reviewing my application. Would you guys mind giving your thoughts on my stats?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Hello everyone!

I am sharing my stats with you guys. If you are alum of HGSE please offer me your thoughts if my stats may or may not help me gain acceptance to HGSE; if you are applicants as I am, let’s all pray for the best. 

Program applied: I applied for the Ed.M in Education Policy & Analysis (EPA) program ( I have heard that this program attracts many students with relatively low educational experiences including myself?)

Domestic/International: International

Undergrad: attended several colleges in the US. Freshman year: top 100 nationally ranked institution GPA: 3.412/4.0; Sophomore year: Top 60 2.839/4.0 (I know it is quite low and it was majorly because of a D that I received); summer session (1 class, 4.0/4.0); last two years at a Top 30 nationally ranked institution, junior year 3.78, senior year 3.5 (last two years combined is 3.65).

Grad: I’m a current master’s candidate at a top 10 nationally ranked university (Ivy League). Fall 2020 was my first semester - I took three courses, and 3.5/4.0 GPA.

Experience: two top-tier consulting internships, one banking internship, one technology internship. 

Education-related Volunteering: two teaching/mentoring experiences to students in high school and elementary school. I’m also on one of the committees of my university’s University Secretary for the year of 2020-2021.

Statement of Purpose: I believe it should be a competitive one as I have let several of my professors and HGSE alums read my sop and they said it was well-written. However, it is Harvard, so I believe there are many people who can write a good sop. I mentioned that I would like to become a policy consultant to address and solve problems in education, including education inequality. I also mentioned that my experiences (international, cross-cultural learning environment) and volunteering experiences have led me to be able to realize the importance of education, and there still are a lot of people waiting for the chance to be in classroom and learn. I also talked about my current master’s experience to address the question “how do you value a graduate program”, and I also stated that the graduate program with my prior internship experiences in consulting would be helpful for me to become a comprehensive consultant in the future.... lastly, I talked about the curriculum (interdisciplinary and sophisticated, four foundational courses), how Harvard at large can benefit me, and my general qualifications (perseverance, learning curiosity, and dedication to the improvement of education. 

Recommendations: none of my recommendations came from professors teach in the field of education nor in professional practices but some of my professional had industry experiences (non-education). They are business school professors all from my undergrad degree-granting institution, and the business school is ranked very top in the nation.

I am still kind of worried that my low gpa in the sophomore year as well as lack in professional experiences in education may be a concern for the admissions committee when they are reviewing my application. Would you guys mind giving your thoughts on my stats?

Thanks!

As a fellow applicant....fingers crossed for us both (and everyone else here)! Good luck!

Just now, xyzxyz123 said:

@mjsmithThank you! Do you mind telling me which program did you apply for and your stats?

Thanks!

Sure thing. I applied for the Human Development and Education Program (and the Higher Education Concentration). I posted a month or so ago in this thread all my stats (just checked....posted it on December 8, 2020). Would love to hear your thoughts after you read it. ?

@mjsmithjust realized that I had read your thread but didn’t realize immediately that the post was written by you. I think you would be a competitive applicant especially for 10+ years of professional experiences. For me I’m lacking in that as I freshly graduated from college last year and am currently pursuing a master’s (although I have had four internships). The GPA is fine as well especially you had high gpa for the two master’s programs. And tbh, a third master’s sounds really cool!

7 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

@mjsmithjust realized that I had read your thread but didn’t realize immediately that the post was written by you. I think you would be a competitive applicant especially for 10+ years of professional experiences. For me I’m lacking in that as I freshly graduated from college last year and am currently pursuing a master’s (although I have had four internships). The GPA is fine as well especially you had high gpa for the two master’s programs. And tbh, a third master’s sounds really cool!

Thank you so much! From what I've heard, HGSE seems to like having a well-rounded group of individuals in the cohorts (perhaps an alum or two can confirm this). Your stats look impressive and competitive to me. Hope to see you in the fall on campus! ?

Guys, in addition to my previous post and comments, just curious that do you believe that the Ed.M programs at HGSE really have an average acceptance rate of 50%+? It seems pretty odd to me, but a lot of people including several HGSE alums that I know, people online, as well as Peterson all mentioned that HGSE Ed.M has an average acceptance rate of 50%+. However, even if it is true, I understand it is going to be varied depending on different specific programs. Thanks for your clarification!