2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, Ydrl said:

...and gustav made theirs recently too. If you didn’t bring it up randomly like a dick, and then support Marshall Gustavman, I wouldn’t be suspicious. I’m not offended, I’m just sick and tired of the troll popping up like a gopher. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they made two accounts, I literally messaged to someone about that recently and I’m worried it’s you.

Once again: if you do tarot, that's cool. Personally I think tarot is a bullshit scam more often than not. It preys on people's insecurities. If you disagree, that's totally okay but there's no reason to be hurt by what another person thinks. 

Just now, WolfMan said:

Once again: if you do tarot, that's cool. Personally I think tarot is a bullshit scam more often than not. It preys on people's insecurities. If you disagree, that's totally okay but there's no reason to be hurt by what another person thinks. 

Okay, we’ve reached a middle ground. Thank f*ck. Sorry about accusing you of being gustav aka Marshall Gustav aka Marshall Goodman.

Thank you for understanding that people like tarot for completely no predatory reasons. If anyone does tarot at fairs that aren’t Wiccan/pagan/other, I think they’re scamming for money. And I told you, I’m not hurt, but other people could be, that’s why I went in on you. Again, I’m sorry, but you can’t just randomly say something that could offend and not expect backlash.

Just now, Ydrl said:

Okay, we’ve reached a middle ground. Thank f*ck. Sorry about accusing you of being gustav aka Marshall Gustav aka Marshall Goodman.

Thank you for understanding that people like tarot for completely no predatory reasons. If anyone does tarot at fairs that aren’t Wiccan/pagan/other, I think they’re scamming for money. And I told you, I’m not hurt, but other people could be, that’s why I went in on you. Again, I’m sorry, but you can’t just randomly say something that could offend and not expect backlash.

People I know actually pay for tarot when they're in distress and it's all bs lol

2 minutes ago, gustav3 said:

Actually, that is exactly what it means. If there is a cost, then it isn't free. 

I don't even understand what was so controversial about your comment lol. You just gave an example of someone performing scam artistry using tarot. 

Tarot is great for creative writing since it is all based on archetypes. Need a conflict? Pull a card and see what it inspires based on its archetypal meaning and symbolism. Need some character development? Pull a card and see how you can incorporate its meaning into that character's motivations or history. It fosters thoughts you would not otherwise come to on your own.

1 minute ago, CayceCamus said:

Tarot is great for creative writing since it is all based on archetypes. Need a conflict? Pull a card and see what it inspires based on its archetypal meaning and symbolism. Need some character development? Pull a card and see how you can incorporate its meaning into that character's motivations or history. It fosters thoughts you would not otherwise come to on your own.

Thank you for being here and explaining this rationally. I’m about to implode and I don’t want to be here, but I’m anxious and this is where I come to talk things out.

Edited by Ydrl

2 minutes ago, CayceCamus said:

Well that's a productive way to repurpose tarot. But when I hear tarot I usually assume people are talking about fortune telling.

1 minute ago, WolfMan said:

Well that's a productive way to repurpose tarot. But when I hear tarot I usually assume people are talking about fortune telling.

Yeah that is a common assumption about it. Certainly people use it that way, but in my experience and view more people use it as a psychological tool. If you are stuck on an issue in life you can pull a spread and apply each archetype to your situation and analyze it. It helps you tangibly connect ideas that are not connected in your mind. It can produce some really creative thoughts and solutions to problems. Like anything else, it is a tool that can be used to help or exploit.

10 minutes ago, WolfMan said:

There was a post on this. If you are interested in being open minded on the fortune telling claim (whether to rule out the possibility or to give it a chance), you could take up this offer, cost free: 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, teasel said:

I'm a professional reader and have been avoiding the cards for the time being for my own sanity. Once you start over-drawing, it ceases to have much meaning and just feeds anxiety : ) But it doesn't stop me from drawing a card here and there.

I think lots of folks are treating individual cards as "yes" or "no" response or even "bad" vs. "good," but this is a pretty shallow way of interpreting. Instead of asking them "will I get into xyz," it would probably be more helpful to ask a question like "what will my writing life look like in 2021" . It's all about the question you ask... they are powerful for self-development, but once we treat them like a magic eight ball they really just become an extension of our uncertainty.  If you feel like sharing the cards you received or want a mini reading (no charge, just for fun) let me know! Might be a fun way to kill some time 

Edited by gustav3

I take a very Jungian approach towards tarot and make no claims of being psychic, though that would be very convenient right about now.  I'm also not really interested in "proving" their value to another person, especially a stranger on the internet, if it's something that doesn't resonate with them. As far as I'm concerned, no offense taken--I can handle a bit of sass. I just hate having my time wasted. 

On another note, have you guys been keeping up with what's happening with the Poetry Foundation right now? What are your thoughts? 

1 hour ago, gustav3 said:

Then how do you explain that this Creative Writing professor at Ashland University offering:

Literary Life Tarot Readings

For $55, I’ll pull tarot cards on your literary quandary or crossroads and send you a write up exploring what this moment is really about— what spiritual invitations you’re receiving, what energies exist in the options you’re facing, and how you might think about the path forward. 

narrative alchemy — katherine e. standefer (katherinestandefer.com) 

Oh my.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:22 PM, mrvisser said:

In Astoria, so actually the Goonies town, but Haystack Rock is down south quite a ways. I came here a bit growing up, but it's been a while. Lovely place, really. The Airbnb I'm in is a beautiful old Victorian house, so it's been great for reading Joyce and working on the novel.

And yes, my brother has always referred to "beach people." Astoria is different, but most of Oregon's coastal towns have something a little off about them.

Love Astoria. Might you be willing to share a link to the Airbnb listing for the old Victorian house?

27 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

Ah yes, novels coming out of the walls in this place. Thanks!

It really was a lovely stay. And there are much more dramatic examples of Victorian architecture in the neighborhood. I forgot how nice Astoria is. Hadn't been for about six years, as lately I've dedicated more time to the Cascades than the coast.

47 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

It really was a lovely stay. And there are much more dramatic examples of Victorian architecture in the neighborhood. I forgot how nice Astoria is. Hadn't been for about six years, as lately I've dedicated more time to the Cascades than the coast.

Makes me want to get in an electric VW bus and drive up the coast! I can't believe I've never been to the Cascades -- or Crater Lake. The well-lived road trip strikes me as a fair alternative to grad school. Depending. 

12 hours ago, teasel said:

On another note, have you guys been keeping up with what's happening with the Poetry Foundation right now? What are your thoughts? 

I have been following it pretty closely. I had a fellowship with PoFo the summer of 2019 and subsequently got to know a lot of people associated with them. To be quite honest, they have been on the steady decline for years in terms of their actions, diversity, inclusion, etc. I don't know if you guys heard about the actual shit storm they caused back when the BLM movement was at it's peak last year, but I would encourage you to check out the letter of demands/petition sent to them by past fellows, poets, and readers as well as their following, multiple, milquetoast responses. 

This latest issue is just a strong representation of their continued lack of awareness, leadership, and common sense. It's honestly so disgusting. I am grateful for my experience as a fellow and the community it gave me, but I definitely don't want to be involved with them in the future, which is a huge shame because historically they are one of the few organizations to pay poets. And now I won't apply for the Ruth Lilly ?

1 hour ago, Botanica said:

I have been following it pretty closely. I had a fellowship with PoFo the summer of 2019 and subsequently got to know a lot of people associated with them. To be quite honest, they have been on the steady decline for years in terms of their actions, diversity, inclusion, etc. I don't know if you guys heard about the actual shit storm they caused back when the BLM movement was at it's peak last year, but I would encourage you to check out the letter of demands/petition sent to them by past fellows, poets, and readers as well as their following, multiple, milquetoast responses. 

This latest issue is just a strong representation of their continued lack of awareness, leadership, and common sense. It's honestly so disgusting. I am grateful for my experience as a fellow and the community it gave me, but I definitely don't want to be involved with them in the future, which is a huge shame because historically they are one of the few organizations to pay poets. And now I won't apply for the Ruth Lilly ?

PoFo frustrates the hell out of me. I was always cautious around them (just because they have so much power and not a lot of diversity) but this is really bad. I’ve seen some strong arguments on both sides about where we draw the line in publishing and how nebulous that can be. But I don’t think it should be controversial to not publish friggin’ pedos. Like can we all agree that’s a perfectly fine line to draw? ?

1 hour ago, jka0124 said:

PoFo frustrates the hell out of me. I was always cautious around them (just because they have so much power and not a lot of diversity) but this is really bad. I’ve seen some strong arguments on both sides about where we draw the line in publishing and how nebulous that can be. But I don’t think it should be controversial to not publish friggin’ pedos. Like can we all agree that’s a perfectly fine line to draw? ?

I totally agree! As far as I am aware, they haven't addressed it either. I just don't understand how they keep getting a pass.