2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 hour ago, Downtozero said:

I've only seen one acceptance in each genre, but wonder if it's another case of admits not being on the forums. I haven't heard anything from them and also just realized my application still says I haven't submitted my transcripts, even though they were electronically retrieved by the grad school two weeks ago ?

Yeah, this seems like the most plausible explanation...maybe waitlists are still to come? ?

I had a similar issue with my transcripts...it took a while for them to show up in my application portal even though Ole Miss grad school had told me they'd received them.

Me, praying to a god I don't believe in: I just ate some pizza, PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE.

In other news, I saw a herd of turkeys blocking the road today and there was a lil california quail hangin out with them. He thought he was a turkey :')  

26 minutes ago, teasel said:

Me, praying to a god I don't believe in: I just ate some pizza, PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE.

In other news, I saw a herd of turkeys blocking the road today and there was a lil california quail hangin out with them. He thought he was a turkey :')  

Now that's just fowl.

Does anyone have advice for looking for jobs post grad while waiting for results? One thing that I'm starting to dislike about this process is how long it takes to hear back from schools. I totally understand that schools have to sift through applications and figure out logistical stuff behind the scenes but...it still sucks lol.  I'd love to have more time to work and commit to a plan B instead of waiting for plan A to (maybe) work out. A lot of my friends already have jobs lined up post-graduation and I feel like I'm behind because I don't want to commit in case I get into schools.  Any advice? (I'd ask someone else but I'm first gen and I feel like nobody "gets" these problems like you guys do). What did you guys do when you were in my situation? 

4 minutes ago, Ophelias pansies said:

Does anyone have advice for looking for jobs post grad while waiting for results? One thing that I'm starting to dislike about this process is how long it takes to hear back from schools. I totally understand that schools have to sift through applications and figure out logistical stuff behind the scenes but...it still sucks lol.  I'd love to have more time to work and commit to a plan B instead of waiting for plan A to (maybe) work out. A lot of my friends already have jobs lined up post-graduation and I feel like I'm behind because I don't want to commit in case I get into schools.  Any advice? (I'd ask someone else but I'm first gen and I feel like nobody "gets" these problems like you guys do). What did you guys do when you were in my situation? 

I have a phone interview next week for a promotion at one of my jobs. I know I may or may not be moving out of state, but I'm not telling them that. It may sound unprofessional or inconsiderate, but I have to provide for my family and plan for my future. If I can improve my situation by making more money between now and August, that's what I have to do. Also, this job will help support me if I end up staying here. Just my two cents. 

3 minutes ago, cecsav said:

If I can improve my situation by making more money between now and August, that's what I have to do. Also, this job will help support me if I end up staying here. Just my two cents. 

I know this sound naive of me but I never thought of it that way. The advice that I got was to not look for anything right now because it might close doors for me in the future if I have to bail/turn a job down because I was accepted somewhere. But I think you're right I gotta do what's best for right now. Thanks for your response!

On 2/26/2021 at 5:20 PM, teasel said:

@fishfish24 I'm also about to reach jungle status--starting some seeds for my Spring garden this week! Also might start seeds for my summer garden but I have no idea if I'm getting off these waitlists. If I don't get in this year you better believe I'm going ALL OUT on my garden lmao. I had fungus gnats one year and the best thing you can do to prevent is to mix boiling water with your seed starting/potting soil mix to kill any eggs. I also second the neem oil suggestion ❤️ 

Really sorry for those that are hurting today. I've reached a weird place where I'm finally accepting that I have no control over this outcome beyond the work I've put into my applications. Knowing and accepting are two different things apparently, haha. It hurts to be told "no" when you're hoping for a "yes." No one is disputing that the odds are terrible, that many of us might not be ready for an MFA yet (tho that's certainly not a random internet stranger's place to discern, myself included). But that also doesn't change the fact that if you want this badly enough, you will keep writing. You may apply again, or you may choose to form your own writing community. Maybe you realize a business built on competition and rejection is not something that makes you happy and you go a different direction--none of this is bad. I actually know two people who dropped out of MFA programs because it was making them miserable.  Both of them still write and publish. I'm not saying it's going to work out for all of us, I'm just saying that there are many paths to happiness and I feel sorry for those who become bitter and contrarian in an effort to disguise their low self esteem. Let's all take a breather and remind ourselves why we started reading & writing poetry/prose/essays to begin with. Is it to feed your ego and sense of "greatness" or is it because it nourishes you somehow? What has this process taught you, for better or for worse? Personally it's taught me that I might have ADHD lol. It's also taught me that what I really want is to be a part of something greater than myself in terms of a solid writing community. It would be great if that happened in the form of an MFA, but maybe it means being more proactive in my current community or moving to a different city in search of more opportunities. Anyway, this is a long ramble-y way of saying that I have really appreciated everyone who has participated in this thread.  

Thanks for writing this. I suppose all of us have our different reasons for wanting to pursue an MFA and it's worthwhile to examine what those reasons really are, although I'm sure there's plenty of overlap among us. I've been writing for about 8 years on and off with a bit of success but COVID upended my non-writing career and made me rethink priorities. Now I just want more time to hustle magic out of my soul through writing full time. But I'm not sure whether in reality an MFA would be helpful, even if it forces me to write everyday. I applied to a wide range of programs within commuting distance. I was not especially invested in any one. My thinking was if I get in somewhere, then I would investigate more deeply: try to suss out the vibe and moral of the students and who is actually doing the teaching. OTH, assuming this cycle does not work out (looking probable), I may try a low-residency or maybe take another shot at this next year. 

Edited by Boomer not Ok

1 hour ago, Ophelias pansies said:

Does anyone have advice for looking for jobs post grad while waiting for results? One thing that I'm starting to dislike about this process is how long it takes to hear back from schools. I totally understand that schools have to sift through applications and figure out logistical stuff behind the scenes but...it still sucks lol.  I'd love to have more time to work and commit to a plan B instead of waiting for plan A to (maybe) work out. A lot of my friends already have jobs lined up post-graduation and I feel like I'm behind because I don't want to commit in case I get into schools.  Any advice? (I'd ask someone else but I'm first gen and I feel like nobody "gets" these problems like you guys do). What did you guys do when you were in my situation? It can be a good idea to have as many options as you can. One bird in the hand and all that jazz. Best of luck :)

Edited by nottheamazonalexa

9 hours ago, M-Lin said:

For a few peeps on here who were waiting on NYU's slow notification process - seems like the consensus in Draft is that NYU has given out all their hard yeses... but waitlist has yet to come, so don't give up hopes yet! 

I started the applications rather late and NYU was my first deadline. I had to send in my writing sample without making edits based on the feedback/line editing of an experienced writer I trusted. So I am using this excuse as self-consolation and holding out hopes for other schools I sent a better writing sample to... ?

Damn....NYU was my dream school. That shit hurted fr 

1 hour ago, frock said:

I suppose there is just as must science to support that card reading works as there is to support that Jesus works. Anyway, just about every school has rejected me for yet another year. Should I apply again next year, or call it a day? It could be fun to join y’all on another boat ride. What should I do, finally give up or not?

Maybe take some time for hard self-reflection. Perhaps the same impulses and unresolved issues that drive you to be a negative and needlessly contentious presence within this community is also coming across in your writing or essays/recommendations. Despite the rancor you seem to cause, if writing is truly your passion then I hope you continue to pursue it.

11 hours ago, Ophelias pansies said:

The advice that I got was to not look for anything right now because it might close doors for me in the future if I have to bail/turn a job down because I was accepted somewhere.

Turning down a job will not hurt your prospects elsewhere. People do it all the time (often because they've interviewed for more than one position). Not to mention that employers do not communicate with each other about candidates; there's no way for a prospective employer to find out about jobs you've turned down unless you tell them. If you get a job and have to leave after a couple months, you can simply leave it off your resume. It's common for people leave old/irrelevant information off resumes, so don't think of it as dishonest

For reference, I was involved in a couple hiring processes at my old job, so I've seen the process first-hand. My mother also works in HR, so some of my advice comes from her.

I'd recommend you look for a job as if you have no other potential plans. Don't mention it in the interview. Just as employers interview multiple candidates, you have every right to keep several options open.

Edited by feralgrad

11 hours ago, nottheamazonalexa said:
22 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

I'd recommend you look for a job as if you have no other potential plans. Don't mention it in the interview. Just as employers interview multiple candidates, you have every right to keep several options open.

11 hours ago, nottheamazonalexa said:

It can be a good idea to have as many options as you can. One bird in the hand and all that jazz. Best of luck :)

Thank you so much for your responses! :) I'm definitely going to follow your advice and go job hunting as soon as possible! Even the thought of having a few more options other than grad school makes me feel more secure! 

1 hour ago, feralgrad said:

Just as employers interview multiple candidates, you have every right to keep several options open.

Agreed, although I'll go so far as to say that we all have a responsibility to ourselves and loved ones to keep our options open. 

Ophelia's, I am glad to see that you're going to embrace your job hunt while waiting for grad school results and I wish great things for you on both fronts.

1 hour ago, woweezowee said:
3 hours ago, feralgrad said:

Just as employers interview multiple candidates, you have every right to keep several options open.

Agreed, although I'll go so far as to say that we all have a responsibility to ourselves and loved ones to keep our options open. 

While we're on this subject, I have a related question about MFA interviews. I received 2 interview invites this week for schools where I feel unlikely to accept because I have a better-funded offer on the table. My impulse is to take the interview anyway because you just never know, and if anything it's just good practice for other academic or work opportunities in the future. What would you all do? Am I being unethical and wasting everyone's time?

17 minutes ago, Downtozero said:

While we're on this subject, I have a related question about MFA interviews. I received 2 interview invites this week for schools where I feel unlikely to accept because I have a better-funded offer on the table. My impulse is to take the interview anyway because you just never know, and if anything it's just good practice for other academic or work opportunities in the future. What would you all do? Am I being unethical and wasting everyone's time?

If you think there's any chance you could be convinced to accept the other offers, I'd go for it. I'd see it as an opportunity to do more research about those programs. Maybe they have some unique features/opportunities that aren't advertised on the website.

That said, I'm sort of assuming "better-funded" means it's a bigger stipend. Personally, I'd never turn down a fully-funded offer for a partially-funded one.

How many IWWW fiction acceptances have there been so far? I've only seen one, and I've heard they're delayed and getting out the calls slow, but then I see some people claiming that they think IWWW is done with acceptances... Not sure which to believe!

28 minutes ago, Downtozero said:

Hmm, I think you should absolutely do the interviews! Good practice, and also good to see what they have to say. Do you mind me asking where?!

4 minutes ago, tippybug said:

How many IWWW fiction acceptances have there been so far?

There have definitely been several on Draft, but no reason to believe they're done yet I don't think.

6 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

That said, I'm sort of assuming "better-funded" means it's a bigger stipend. Personally, I'd never turn down a fully-funded offer for a partially-funded one.

Yeah, not necessarily partially funded vs fully funded but one school has a lower stipend and heavier teaching load, for example. I guess I'm also just paranoid after seeing the news about Ohio State rescinding funding offers. Seems like a good idea to keep options open, especially so early in the season. So I guess I'm answering my own question lol.

18 hours ago, shanbanan said:

Oh wow! It's happening! Thank you for the heads up. Was this on the Results page or Draft? I didn't see it on either but probably missed it. 

Has there been any more info on this on draft by chance? Wondering if I should assume a waitlist/rejection forthcoming at this point from Michener poetry :(

Edited by nottheamazonalexa

4 hours ago, tippybug said:

How many IWWW fiction acceptances have there been so far? I've only seen one, and I've heard they're delayed and getting out the calls slow, but then I see some people claiming that they think IWWW is done with acceptances... Not sure which to believe!

I have seen ~4 for fiction between Draft and the Results page here.   I would expect a few more if they were done making calls, but that's just a guess.