(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

3 hours ago, PTBOWater said:

Hello, 

For those who have been lucky enough to be admitted to Carleton would you feel comfortable sharing your offer details and stats?

I got admitted, but I still have to complete ECON 1001 and 1002.

cgpa 3.6 L2 3.83

Was a legislative assistant for an MP for a year. Also I had a few policy internships with some advocacy groups.  

22 minutes ago, JMMFB said:

I got admitted, but I still have to complete ECON 1001 and 1002.

cgpa 3.6 L2 3.83

Was a legislative assistant for an MP for a year. Also I had a few policy internships with some advocacy groups.  

Hi JMMFB, I appreciate you sharing. Brilliant background and CGPA. I was interested because I've been accepted to the program but was offered less money than when I was accepted in 2017. When I first applied in 2017 I hadn't worked in the public service but since then I've done about 3.5 years in various environmental policy positions. Interestingly, back then there was no conditions on my offer. This time around they felt I hadn't met the political science prerequisite and would meed to complete it.

Edited by PTBOWater

I got accepted to Waterloo and Carleton last week. Does anyone know the breakdown at Carleton as far as how many courses you take a semester / when students typically take their co-ops? 

Just now, TedCruzAteMyKids said:

Would you mind sharing stats? GPA/Work experience, etc

Sure! Political science undergrad with 3.7 overall GPA and 3.8 GPA last two years. No government work experience but one semester experience as an undergrad research assistant 

Folks, do people still make Facebook Class of ____ groups?

I haven't been on Facebook since I graduated in 2017 but I'd like to connect with others that are planning to attend Queen's MPA. Or where else do grad students congregate online lol?

Hey y'all! Im in the MPPA program at Carleton and can answer any questions if you have any about the program from a student's perspective! Feel free to DM on here or over discord Sven#6057. Congrats to those who have received offers and good luck to those still waiting. I know how anxiety inducing it is and just know that an acceptance/rejection does not define your intelligence or worth ❤️ 

14 hours ago, Svenpai said:

Hey y'all! Im in the MPPA program at Carleton and can answer any questions if you have any about the program from a student's perspective! Feel free to DM on here or over discord Sven#6057. Congrats to those who have received offers and good luck to those still waiting. I know how anxiety inducing it is and just know that an acceptance/rejection does not define your intelligence or worth ❤️ 

Could you comment on the structure of the program? When does the co-op term happen and how long is it?

1 hour ago, residenttomalito said:

Could you comment on the structure of the program? When does the co-op term happen and how long is it?

That's a good question! Honestly, the program is fairly well structured I'd say. You have nice room for elective classes and the core classes are relevant to what you would be doing in a policy role. With respects to co-op, you will usually work your first co-op job in the summer following your first academic year and usually lasts 4 months but you can have options to extend it to 8 months.

10 minutes ago, Rj27 said:

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure np. Senior year undergrad, L2 GPA is 80, CGPA is pretty low - maybe 3.2? Strong focus on ECs. Talked about how I want to work in energy policy and have a background in energy private equity and risk consulting through summer experiences and how it makes me a unique candidate to tackle public sector challenges. One good thing, GPA is not end all be all. Hope that helps and best of luck!

On 3/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, newbie2020 said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Ottawa’s MPA? When do their responses role out since the deadline was January 15? 

No idea, I applied early December and still not response. 

1 hour ago, Mango74 said:

@DunnS

Congrats!! Was it by email? 

Thank you :) I received an email from the program admin this afternoon, my RAMSS hasn't updated yet though.