Critical Language Scholarship 2021 Applicants

Umenohana

Hey, I'm probably going to apply for Mandarin... having a hard time figuring out my study-hours equivalents. 

I am really hoping they'll do virtual programs if summer 21 is still on lockdown instead of cancelling outright!

I'm also applying to the Middlebury programs. 

On 9/11/2020 at 11:03 PM, jujubea said:

Hey, I'm probably going to apply for Mandarin... having a hard time figuring out my study-hours equivalents. 

I am really hoping they'll do virtual programs if summer 21 is still on lockdown instead of cancelling outright!

I'm also applying to the Middlebury programs. 

I didn't worry too much about contact hours. It was pretty straightforward for regular university classes, but for my self-study times, I just made a very approximate calculation.

It does seem very likely that they will be doing virtual programs! They tried very hard to make them happen this year, and next year they will be even better prepared.

I'm thinking of applying to Middlebury as well! I haven't applied there before, so if anyone has any tips, I would love to hear. 

And yes, I will be applying to Japanese!

23 hours ago, Umenohana said:

I didn't worry too much about contact hours. It was pretty straightforward for regular university classes, but for my self-study times, I just made a very approximate calculation.

It does seem very likely that they will be doing virtual programs! They tried very hard to make them happen this year, and next year they will be even better prepared.

I'm thinking of applying to Middlebury as well! I haven't applied there before, so if anyone has any tips, I would love to hear. 

And yes, I will be applying to Japanese!

Ok awesome. Maybe we should start a Middlebury thread? Or can we change this one to a combo CLS and Middlebury thread?

1 hour ago, jujubea said:

Ok awesome. Maybe we should start a Middlebury thread? Or can we change this one to a combo CLS and Middlebury thread?

That's a good idea! A separate thread would be best, because CLS threads tend to get very busy closer tot the deadline, as well as when the results come out. I'll get on that!

8 hours ago, Msf1997 said:

Have they put any kind of rollover plan in place or would it just be online? Because it kind of defeats the purpose of the program if you can't actually be in the country and do homestay, etc.

I don't think anything official has been published yet, but yes, they said they may hold some or all of the 2021 CLS online. I would not expect anything to roll over to next year, they will just ask you to reapply, like it happened this year. 

Yeah, if you can't be in the country yourself, it does take away from the experience A LOT. I would not say it defeats the purpose though. They still work really hard to deliver the best instruction possible. And many people do CLS because there are no other options available for them. It would still be a summer of intense language lessons for free. I doubt they'll have any trouble filling up the spots with students, even if it is not what we are all hoping for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the Essay Worksheet you can download, the Statement of Purpose doesn't have the word count or word limit listed but all the other short essays do. Does anyone see this word limit anywhere else? 

How are everyone's apps coming along?

I am excited to do the program whether it's overseas or not - like was mentioned above, I don't have any other structured options for my language and level. Very hopeful for the support! But yes, of course it would be missing out on a massive element without physically immersing overseas. 

21 hours ago, jujubea said:

In the Essay Worksheet you can download, the Statement of Purpose doesn't have the word count or word limit listed but all the other short essays do. Does anyone see this word limit anywhere else? 

What Essay Worksheet are you talking about? The word limit is 500 words on the actual application portal.

Haven't really worked on my application yet, but all I really need to do is update mine from last year. A bit daunting, but there's still lots of time to think about improving my essays. How about you?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be applying for advanced Korean for the third time. 

But honestly, I wouldn't want to do CLS this year if it were online. I've already done the Middlebury program. It was good. But I've never been to Korea, and that's what I need in order to improve going forward....

On 10/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, Umenohana said:

What Essay Worksheet are you talking about? The word limit is 500 words on the actual application portal.

Haven't really worked on my application yet, but all I really need to do is update mine from last year. A bit daunting, but there's still lots of time to think about improving my essays. How about you?

If you go here: https://clscholarship.org/apply and scroll down, on the right side it says "Download PDFs" and in that list is the "2021 CLS Application Essays Worksheet." Within that worksheet is a prompt for a "Statement of Purpose" but no length-limit is defined. Do you think that's the one that corresponds to the 500 limit in the portal? I haven't checked out the portal yet. 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:27 PM, jujubea said:

If you go here: https://clscholarship.org/apply and scroll down, on the right side it says "Download PDFs" and in that list is the "2021 CLS Application Essays Worksheet." Within that worksheet is a prompt for a "Statement of Purpose" but no length-limit is defined. Do you think that's the one that corresponds to the 500 limit in the portal? I haven't checked out the portal yet. 

Oh yes, that's definitely the same thing. 500 words is the limit and you won't even be able to submit if any of the essays are even one word over. I'd also say don't copy and paste at the last second that you have to submit, because I remember their word counter being just a tiny bit different from Word (maybe in how they count hyphenated words or something like that). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @snow_owl- good luck on your app! Good luck @WorldTraveler111 

I also finished mine a few days ago. Fingers crossed everybody!

Separately - re: Middlebury.. I didn't attach my transcript in time for the priority deadline, but submitted the actual application and fee on time. Does anyone know if I will still get considered for the Dec 15th decision? (It would be so nice to have some lead-time for planning purposes y'know?)

23 hours ago, jujubea said:

Hi @snow_owl- good luck on your app! Good luck @WorldTraveler111 

I also finished mine a few days ago. Fingers crossed everybody!

Separately - re: Middlebury.. I didn't attach my transcript in time for the priority deadline, but submitted the actual application and fee on time. Does anyone know if I will still get considered for the Dec 15th decision? (It would be so nice to have some lead-time for planning purposes y'know?)

I have no idea, since I didn't work on the application myself, but have you tried emailing them? They seem like they would be pretty responsive about these things.

1 hour ago, Umenohana said:

I have no idea, since I didn't work on the application myself, but have you tried emailing them? They seem like they would be pretty responsive about these things.

I was going to say the same thing. I have not started my application for Middlebury, but they seem like they would be flexible about this. @jujubea

• 4 weeks later...

Hello? Um... Did I get into Middlebury? The email contains a header graphic that says "Welcome to the Language School" but no where does it say "congratulations" or "you've been admitted" or anything like that ...? But the rest of the email is instructions on how to prepare for the school...